most recent version of Frostwire Freezes when started

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:
spiritualsuze

most recent version of Frostwire Freezes when started

Postby spiritualsuze » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:30 pm

I installed the most recent version of Frostwire yesterday and now when it opens it freezes, it wont let me search for anything or make the search results area smaller like before. I don't know what happened to that feature but I liked it. I was not able to do anything with it last night. I was not able to close it after it froze either. I had to use the task bar close window command on my Windows 10 OS.I know there is nothing wrong with my computer, I am an A+ repair tech. There were no problems like this with previous version. I'm considering doing a system restore to go back to previous version.

What's going on with the new version that is causing these issues?

gubatron
Development Team

Re: most recent version of Frostwire Freezes when started

Postby gubatron » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi there, please try this installer and let me know if the search issue is gone.
This is an internal build for FrostWire 6.3.6, we fixed several issues with search, and lots of changes on the bittorrent engine that may have fixed your freeze

https://github.com/frostwire/frostwire/ ... -build-201
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

billnben

Postby billnben » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:27 am

I've done everything suggested by alexm in a previous post i.e. latest graphics driver and windows update.

I have now done your suggestion and upgraded to what is now build 202.

The problem persists. When you start Frostwire you get the receive page and looking at the bottom of the screen you can see the data flowing both ways normally, but as soon as you hit the transfers tab the data flow figures lock at that point and the whole GUI freezes. Eventually you might get a few files displayed at the "checking" stage, this is obviously where the program seems to lock up.

Interestingly though if you monitor Frostwire in Task Manager it looks fully functional, with CPU, Memory, Disk usage and data flow on the network.

There is obviously still an issue between Frostwire and Windows 10.

billnben

Postby billnben » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:40 am

I have virtually the same issue. I have done everything suggested in a recent post by alexm i.e. latest Nvidia driver and latest windows update. I also downloaded and upgraded to Frostwire build 202.

When I start Frostwire the receive window opens and you can see the data in and out speeds at the bottom of the screen.

When the "Transfer" tab is pressed the I/O figures lock and the GUI freezes. Eventually you might get a a few torrents to show but they will be in the "checking" stage, where the program obviously locked up.

Interestingly, if you monitor Frostwire in Task Manager it still seems to be fully functional with calls to the CPU, Memory, Disk and traffic can be seen both ways on the Network. The only way to close the program is with End Task in Task Manager.

There obviously seems to be a compatibility problem between Frostwire (which runs trouble free on an old XP Pro machine) and Windows 10.

Any ideas?

alexm

Postby alexm » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:23 pm

Around August 2016 several reports of slowdowns, freezes, crashes and UI rendering issues started being reported by several Windows 10 FrostWire users.

If you’re having issues please do the following:

If you have an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card installed, please make sure to have your drivers updated to at least the updates released in September 2016. Download drivers here.

Make sure to install the Windows Upgrades to fix Windows File System issues, in order to do this you have to update to at least the one released on August 31, 2016

August 31, 2016 — KB3176938 (OS Build 14393.105)
Key changes include:
Improved reliability of Windows Ink Workspace, Microsoft Edge, File Server, Windows kernel, Microsoft Component Object Model (COM), Cluster Health Service, Hyper-V, multi-factor authentication (MFA), NTFS file system, PowerShell, Internet Explorer 11, facial recognition, graphics, Windows Store, and Windows Shell.

billnben

Postby billnben » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:55 pm

billnben wrote:I have virtually the same issue. I have done everything suggested in a recent post by alexm i.e. latest Nvidia driver and latest windows update. I also downloaded and upgraded to Frostwire build 202.

But it stiil freezes.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Just for sanity, can you guys PLEASE do the following for me:

1. Go to "Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates"
2. Take a screenshot of that window, preferably sort the updates by Date in descending order (Newest on top)
3. Upload the screenshot to Imgur.com
4. Paste the Screenshot URLs here.

http://i.imgur.com/9PUJfFg.png

I really want to see what updates you have installed

Grayghost4429

Postby Grayghost4429 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:41 pm

I have the same problem. When I downloaded the 6.3.6 version and installed it and tried to use it, it froze up in search position before I could even type in anything. I checked task manager and it said FrostWire was using 25% of CPU power. I had to close the program using the task manager and then reinstalled the 6.1.4 version and it worked just fine. I am using Windows 7 home premium and never had a problem before on any new version until this new 6.3.6 came out.

alexm

Postby alexm » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 am

Grayghost4429 wrote:I have the same problem. When I downloaded the 6.3.6 version and installed it and tried to use it, it froze up in search position before I could even type in anything. I checked task manager and it said FrostWire was using 25% of CPU power. I had to close the program using the task manager and then reinstalled the 6.1.4 version and it worked just fine. I am using Windows 7 home premium and never had a problem before on any new version until this new 6.3.6 came out.

Try cleaning your downloads. Maybe there are some downloads seeding. You must clean it because that can be the reason why FW is using 25% of CPU power.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi, here's our preliminary 6.3.7 build, it has a lot of changes on our bittorrent library and it might help with your freeze, please try this installer and let us know if the problem went away.
http://dl.frostwire.com/other/temp/fros ... indows.exe

malkova

Postby malkova » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks guys, found a lot of useful and interesting information!!!!

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Please make sure to run 6.4.1, startup freeze issues gone by now.
https://github.com/frostwire/frostwire/ ... -build-210

djslyty

Postby djslyty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:59 pm

I am currently running version 6.4.7 on my macbook and am having the same issue. After typing in search it freezes.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 pm

hi there,

Let's try running FrostWire from the command line to see if any of the console output can help us figure out why you might be having a freeze.

1. Open a "Terminal"
2. Go to your installation folder, usually you get there like this if you dropped the FrostWire app inside "Applications"

Code: Select all

cd /Applications/FrostWire.app/Contents/MacOS

3. Run FrostWire

Code: Select all

./frostwire.sh

4. Try to replicate the freeze, then copy and paste all the console output to this forum thread and we'll take a look at what's happening.

maggrietjie

Postby maggrietjie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 am

I have been having the same issues for months now and with each update I am hopeful, but it just seems to get worse really. I currently have 6.4.8 installed and running on Windows 10 which is also up to date. I do not have any NVIDIA drivers on my system. Please help, it is becoming impossible to run FW. It freezes for up to 2 hours on startup, then runs okay, but later starts impacting the rest of my system and eventually causes a total system freeze.

Return to “FrostWire Desktop Technical Support”