Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin

Replacement of gnutella.net file for Frostwire 4

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Replacement of gnutella.net file for Frostwire 4

Postby Only A Hobo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:10 am

This may well help if you are having problems getting your connection status up from starting connection in Frostwire 4, Do not attempt to use this method if you are using the all Torrent Frostwire 5, which is the only version that receives official support from Frostwire. But first try this: go to Frostwire > file > disconnect and then back to file > connect. That sometimes does the trick.

Before that, and if applicable to your set up, ensure you are running a recent version .. something between say 4.18.6 and 4.21.8, available from OldApps.com - Windows or OldApps.com - Mac. Information and Download Links for MAC versions 4.21.1 and 4.18.6, necessary for some older Mac OS X installations can be found IN THIS POST

Note that any version newly installed will probably need this replacement, however, initially, it may take quite a while, perhaps 20 minutes or longer. After a possible slow initial start, it should be far quicker in future. Please give us feedback on any method you find works for you, with a few details. That will help us, and others, in the future. Other connection suggestions are at STICKY: CONNECTION PROBLEMS.
--------------------------------------------------------

How to Replace the Gnutella.net file:

In your application data or preference folder for Frostwire, (not your program or applications folder) there should be a file entitled gnutella.net

Before making any changes to the Folder, (see below for instructions on how to find it) make sure Frostwire is fully closed. You need do nothing else with the file .. just put it in the folder .. Frostwire knows what to do with it :)

gnutella.net
(27.96 KiB) Downloaded 5062 times

A fresh gnutella.net file (Created 4 August 2014) can be downloaded by clicking the above link.

Download/Save this to your desktop, or somewhere you can find it. There are various sources for the file and some of them are dubious. This one is not. If you have a working copy of Limewire or Frostwire possibly on another computer you can copy the file from that application, to a memory stick, if necessary and use that instead.

Find your Preference or Application Data Folder. Note: this is not your Application or Programme Folder.

To find your preference folder in Mac OS X it is in HD>users>your name>library>preferences>Frostwire, and the gnutella.net file will be in that folder

In Windows XP on your start menu click Run... and type in %appdata% A folder will appear, look for Frostwire and inside for gnutella.net

In Windows Vista Open any folder window and type %appdata% in the box at the top. A folder, or list will appear, look for Frostwire and inside that, for gnutella.net

alternatively:

in Windows XP the folder is at C:\Documents and Settings\name you use to login\Application Data\FrostWire\ and look for gnutella.net

in Windows Vista it is at C:\Users\name you use to login\AppData\Roaming\FrostWire\ and look for gnutella.net

Your app data folder is quite likely hidden and you may need to enable it to be visible. in any windows folder click tools > folder options at the top. click on that and then view then show hidden files and folders.

Now make sure Frostwire is fully closed

Now find your gnutella.net file. delete it and move the file you downloaded into the folder in its place. If no gnutella.net file exists move the new file into the folder anyway.

Restart Frostwire and see if it reaches turbocharged connection within a few minutes or less.

no português: http://www.frostwire.com/forum/viewtopi ... php?t=3548 obrigado a _Teen_
Last edited by Only A Hobo on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:27 am, edited 75 times in total.
Reason: Information Updated
Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:20 pm

I did really want to check is exactly what can be seen in the applications Data/appdata/preference folder when it is not hidden, for those people who are having problems ... Any body got a spare Windows lap top they don't want lol???
Last edited by Only A Hobo on Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only A Hobo

Postby DivSen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:00 pm

This solved my connection-problem!

My old gnutella.net file (installed by the latest Frostwire) was 138kb, so I replaced it by your gnutella.net and restarted Frostwire... with success!
I tried about everything there was to try, and only this solution solved my connection problem.

(btw I’m using Vista with a ZoneAlarm firewall)

my old gnutella file data:

Code: Select all
uhc2.limewire.com:20181,,1199030816522,,,en,0
uhc1.frostwire.com:9000,,1199030816491,,,en,0
uhc3.limewire.com:51180,,1199030816507,,,en,0

I would like to thank you for posting this tread, because I‘ve been searching for a solution for days without success...
Thanks & keep up the good work guys! :)

Grtz 8)

EDIT:
however,i do have the idea that there are less search results... but i could be wrong :s
GroovyLicious
DivSen

Postby AlleyCat » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:59 pm

HOBO HOBO HOBO 2-0 so far! it worked right after the gnutella file was replaced!
^5s @ you :lol:
AlleyCat

Postby AlleyCat » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:23 pm

I did really want to check is exactly what can be seen in the applications Data/appdata/preference folder when it is not hidden

Not sure i understand what you need there Hobo, but i see in my application data folder the same files, hidden or unhidden-Windows XP
AlleyCat

Postby AlleyCat » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Hobo,
If i use the %homepath% run command and, 'do not show hidden files and folders' is checked then the application data folder is hidden. Visible only if the 'show hidden files and folders' is checked. %appdata% run command would appear to be the simpler way to finding that gnutella.net file

Cheers.
AlleyCat

Postby Only A Hobo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Many thanks for the feedback DivSen. Is that all your old gnutella.net file? . I am slightly puzzled how your old G.net file could have been 138kb which sounds very big :)

Also .. had you restarted Frostwire several times?

Also .. had you made a clean install of this Frostwire or updated an older one and just got the problem when you updated?

End of interrogation :) ... I get the idea that there are fewer results sometimes. The total number of results for a popular search is however generally roughly the same number, but the fact that a larger number of results are junk from large numbers of hosts does have the effect of slewing the results I think .... If you have a lousy lot of results you can always close your host connections one by one and new ones will take their place and MIGHT give better ... or worse results ..

@AlleyCat. thanks for the help :) /me ^5s AlleyCat and JUM

JUM, one of the Limewire devs put me onto this over a year ago, as a cure for old versions which some people have to use, and we have used it for a while for some old Mac versions. It never occurred to me that it would help with current versions .. but there you go :)
Only A Hobo

Postby DivSen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:50 am

Only A Hobo wrote:Many thanks for the feedback DivSen. Is that all your old gnutella.net file? . I am slightly puzzled how your old G.net file could have been 138kb which sounds very big :)

sorry, it was 138 bytes... not 138 kb :oops: :lol:

Only A Hobo wrote:Also .. had you restarted Frostwire several times?

Yes (and i waited 10-15 minutes before restarting frostwire)

Only A Hobo wrote:Also .. had you made a clean install of this Frostwire or updated an older one and just got the problem when you updated?

I did a clean install :)

Only A Hobo wrote:End of interrogation :) ... I get the idea that there are fewer results sometimes. :)
hehe :)
the only downside is that i get the idea that the search results are a bit slower and there are slightly less results then there used to be (i had frostwire installed on my previous computer) but that's not a disaster ;)

Grtz
GroovyLicious
DivSen

Postby Shadoe » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 am

Thanks a lot Only a Hobo. I had tried every thing to resurrect Frostwire until I replaced the file you mentioned. Like DivSen, my old file was 138 bytes, so I went ahead and overwrote it with the new one.

I am currently puzzled as to why this would happen though. I used the exact same setup file a week ago without a problem. But when windows became so corrupted that it couldn't keep my network adapter alive (very frustrating) I decided to preform a clean install. I keep all of my downloaded files on a separate raid 0 array, and my setup files on a spare hard drive to make this task easier. After I did a clean install and downloaded a updated version of Java I installed Frostwire using the same setup file as before and ended up with a no connection situation.

After a while of trouble shooting, I decided that windows XP had fubered the setup file and I downloaded a new one, same version. I had the same problem. I now have it working, but am still puzzled as to what caused the gnutella.net file to change. Was it the updated version of java? For reference, I have ver. 6 update 3 installed on a XP Professional system. I don't know what the issue was, but someone on my system wasn't playing nice :)

Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated. Hope this helps,
Shadoe M.
Shadoe

replacement of gnutella.net file

Postby ferdthe3rd » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:34 am

Thank you so much for finally coming up with a connection solution for Frostwire and Windows Vista. I replaced the gnutella.net file with the new one (my file was 4kb in size) and FrostWire connected perfectly. I hope this helps for most users.[/i]
ferdthe3rd

Postby DivSen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 am

Shadoe wrote:Was it the updated version of java? For reference, I have ver. 6 update 3 installed on a XP Professional system. I don't know what the issue was, but someone on my system wasn't playing nice :)

Don't think it was the Java update.
I installed frostwire without the Java update, and afterwards with the Java update... in both cases Frostwire could not connect.

Grtz, DivSen
GroovyLicious
DivSen

Postby Only A Hobo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:14 am

I do not think this has to do with Java and I am not a technical wizard ... I do know that I can delete my own gnutella.net file and can still open Frostwre easily and a new and good Gnutella file appears after the second start of FW ... however for some the file is essential for starting. I don't know why ... :)
Only A Hobo

Postby hugootto » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:49 am

This (downloading a fresh gnutella.net file) solved my problem.

BUT: it's a shame! When downloading Frostwire, I expect it to work "out of the box" without this kind of problems!!!!!

SHAME!
hugootto

Postby BeiGaiRen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:20 pm

hugootto wrote:This (downloading a fresh gnutella.net file) solved my problem.

BUT: it's a shame! When downloading Frostwire, I expect it to work "out of the box" without this kind of problems!!!!!

SHAME!
its not a shame! its a well put together program by hard working ppl.
BeiGaiRen

Postby Only A Hobo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 pm

No hugootto is right ... It should work out of the box ... and we are aiming to make it do just that for more people ... and were getting there :)
Only A Hobo

Next

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support