FEEDBACK NEEDED: New FrostWire UI Prototype: Yay or Nay?

Upcoming new releases, project news and announcements.
gubatron
Development Team

FEEDBACK NEEDED: New FrostWire UI Prototype: Yay or Nay?

Postby gubatron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

Scott1x

Re: FEEDBACK NEEDED: New FrostWire UI Prototype: Yay or Nay?

Postby Scott1x » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:21 pm

gubatron wrote:See the gallery of screenshots here

Yay or Nay?

I just took a look at the screen shots and compared them to 5..7.7. The old UI, on my computer, 5.7.7 is much clearer and more intuitive than the new interface. I understand the need to try to standardize between device types, but don't kill the computer user to make life easier for hand held users!

Maybe I'm different from the average user, but my primary concern is the efficiency of the download. FW has a great search engine. Most of the time, I don't even need to use an external search engine. I love that facility. I manage my own libraries and do NOT keep them in the original download area very long and are accessible to all on my home LAN.

FrostWire, to me, is a means to a downloading end and it does a good enough job that it is my preferred P2P client. I don't mind that it has players, list and library managers, but that is not the reason I use it. I use it because it's fast and manages its queues, share and download, very efficiently. I want the interface to provide me the tools to monitor and control those activities, which are the reason I user FrostWire to start with.

Using my moderately intelligent (I won't call it smart) phone, I appreciate the need for brevity and clarity, but on a platform that supports more, I want and need more. Perhaps a toggle switch of some sort to signify the level of detail could be implemented so that PC users have full functionality and control. Considering the amount and volume of downloading I can do, when I get on a roll, there is NO way possible that my phone could do it.

Maybe you can make everyone happy if the software can be sensitive to the nature of the display through user control. So far, every time software tries to figure out what my display size and resolution is, the result is a disaster and requires me to tweak the display to make it readable. I almost NEVER run any application full screen and normally have multiple windows visible. This is something that it seems most software developers never even briefly consider.

Keep up the good work on FrostWire. It's a good tool to have.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:25 pm

can you point out what things are missing?

from what I can tell, we're keeping everything that's on the desktop, we've just made navigation like most software nowadays on the left, and now transfers have even more information, in the style of other classic bittorrent software where you'll now get transfer details.

it's very different from what's on android.
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:44 pm

gubatron wrote:can you point out what things are missing?

from what I can tell, we're keeping everything that's on the desktop, we've just made navigation like most software nowadays on the left, and now transfers have even more information, in the style of other classic bittorrent software where you'll now get transfer details.

it's very different from what's on android.

I've never installed FW on any of my android devices, so I couldn't comment on that and, honestly, the size of the displays made it difficult for me to see clearly. I didn't see anything I'd take exception with; I just want to indicate that more information is better. Probably if those screen shots have been in an actual working environment, it would have made more sense.

Twilight

Postby Twilight » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Hrm, looks good. If you put out a beta, I'll test it.

Return to “Press Releases & Updates”