FrostWire 5.7.0 Release Candidate

Upcoming new releases, project news and announcements.
gubatron
Development Team

FrostWire 5.7.0 Release Candidate

Postby gubatron » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:23 pm

(build 1)
Windows: http://dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/5.7.0 ... build1.exe
Mac: http://dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/5.7.0 ... build1.dmg
Ubuntu/Debian: http://dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/5.7.0 ... .0.all.deb
RPM: dl.frostwire.com/frostwire/5.7.0/frostwire-5.7.0.noarch.rpm

Installers for Windows and Linux coming in a few hours, please come back here for updates.

Changelog
frostwire (5.7.0) stable; urgency=high
* Updated BitTorrent engine from Azureus/Vuze project.
* New Torrents.fm meta search integration.
* Brings back cloud downloads by entering url on search box or open dialog.
* Chat Tab gone. Chat button now points to frostwire.com/chat.
Faster startup time.
-- FrostWire Team <contact@frostwire.com> Fri, 17 Jan 2013 00:21:30 -0500
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

scooby

Re: FrostWire 5.7.0 Release Candidate

Postby scooby » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:04 am

I really need someone to message me please.. I don't know what I'm doing in a ( forums , chat ) I already feel dumb enough.
Could some one please show me what to do

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:55 am

scooby wrote:I really need someone to message me please.. I don't know what I'm doing in a ( forums , chat ) I already feel dumb enough.

You need to ask specific questions for someone to respond to.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:12 am

scooby wrote:I really need someone to message me please.. I don't know what I'm doing in a ( forums , chat ) I already feel dumb enough.

Keep on doing what you're doing - ya got through to us o.k.

The only BIG difference to that is learning when to:

- Reply - to someone else's message, within a specific Subject
For that use: Reply (it's about 1/3rd down, far left, of the screen - there's a red "Reply"
- When you want to start a whole new topic (containing your burning question) use the red New Topic, same place on the screen. Try it, you'll like it.
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

FlowerChildHeart

Postby FlowerChildHeart » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:27 pm

I just downloaded 5.7.0, and I have two questions. #1 I was able to download two mp3 files, but have not been able to download anything since. I have plenty of seeds for the requested files, but no movement at all. What gives? #2 How in the heck can I filter out YouTube when searching for mp3's? I unchecked it in the Tools section, but I don't see a place to permanently block them. I'd appreciate any ideas someone may have on either question.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:48 pm

FlowerChildHeart wrote:I just downloaded 5.7.0, and I have two questions. #1 I was able to download two mp3 files, but have not been able to download anything since. I have plenty of seeds for the requested files, but no movement at all. What gives? #2 How in the heck can I filter out YouTube when searching for mp3's? I unchecked it in the Tools section, but I don't see a place to permanently block them. I'd appreciate any ideas someone may have on either question.

Go to tools>options>searching and uncheck youtube and it will no longer search it.

It could be that you are not waiting long enough for connections to your desire torrents to be made. If you have successfully downloaded, you know that it's working. Try a different torrent and see if that helps.

Check out my help pages and see if anything there could be blocking you, but you have downloaded, so I suspect the torrent rather than a problem on your end.

chuckjmoore1991

Postby chuckjmoore1991 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 am

I think it's ridiculous how Frostwire condemns piracy but still allows us to search TPB and Eztv through the program. Those two search engines show no compliance with copyrights laws like the other search engines do. I have to uncheck those two search engines to avoid downloading something that is from a search engine that doesn't respect these laws.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:10 pm

chuckjmoore1991 wrote:I think it's ridiculous how Frostwire condemns piracy but still allows us to search TPB and Eztv through the program. Those two search engines show no compliance with copyrights laws like the other search engines do. I have to uncheck those two search engines to avoid downloading something that is from a search engine that doesn't respect these laws.

So far as I know, both search engines do contain legal downloads. No one forces anyone to download something that is not legal in their area. The fact that you CAN uncheck engines that you don't want to use allows you do avoid that possibility.

The built in search capability is a convenience. You don't even have to use it. FrostWire is a P2P program and It will download anything a torrent points to. What you select is your choice.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 pm

chuckjmoore1991 wrote:Frostwire condemns piracy

Holy Moly! "CONDEMNS"? That's a pretty strong word to use.

At any rate, under NO circumstances does it FORCE you to use those engines. Far from it, it ALLOWS you the freedom of choice as to whether or not YOU want to use them. The choice is YOURS!

moondrago

Postby moondrago » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 pm

i just opened FW and had a popup that wanted me to install 5.7.1 .. but at a point in the install it also wanted me to install conduit .. i dont want this program and it didnt give the option to decline or get out of installing it ... so i came here and your lastest up date on this forum site is 5.7.0 .. has someone .. some how hijacked your software .. ?

also if it is not a mistake you need to do something about forcing us to install conduit on our computers ..i dont like being force to install software on my computer i know is no good (conduit )... in the install it didnt let you get out of installing conduit ..if you decline conduit it closed the installer ... i hope this in not your doing

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:16 am

moondrago wrote:i just opened FW and had a popup that wanted me to install 5.7.1 .. but at a point in the install it also wanted me to install conduit .. i dont want this program and it didnt give the option to decline or get out of installing it ... so i came here and your lastest up date on this forum site is 5.7.0 .. has someone .. some how hijacked your software .. ?

also if it is not a mistake you need to do something about forcing us to install conduit on our computers ..i dont like being force to install software on my computer i know is no good (conduit )... in the install it didnt let you get out of installing conduit ..if you decline conduit it closed the installer ... i hope this in not your doing

I went to http://frostwire.com and downloaded the latest FW. I saw now such search product when I installed it. Try downloading from frostwire.com

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:02 am

Scott1x wrote:I went to http://frostwire.com and downloaded the latest FW. I saw now such search product when I installed it. Try downloading from frostwire.com

Ditto. Also, I wasn't asked anything about Conduit.

jsnaragon

Postby jsnaragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm having trouble with Frostwire. I use the program all the time for various things, but for some reason it got stuck on a download. The download is stopped at 8% and for some reason I can't cancel the download. Now when I open Frostwire, the program locks up my computer to the point that I can't even shut it down with control, alt delete. I have to restart my computer every time I pull up frostwire now with the power button because it is causing my computer to freeze. I have made no changes to my computer. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I have already tried uninstalling frostwire and then reinstalling it, but when I do the same frozen downlolad shows up on the screen and my computer locks up all over again. As long as I don't open frostwire, I have no problem with any other computer operation such as internet. Any tips on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I am a huge fan of torrents and frostwire is the most user friendly site I have found. Please help!!!!

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:53 pm

jsnaragon wrote:I'm having trouble with Frostwire. I use the program all the time for various things, but for some reason it got stuck on a download. The download is stopped at 8% and for some reason I can't cancel the download. Now when I open Frostwire, the program locks up my computer to the point that I can't even shut it down with control, alt delete. I have to restart my computer every time I pull up frostwire now with the power button because it is causing my computer to freeze. I have made no changes to my computer. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I have already tried uninstalling frostwire and then reinstalling it, but when I do the same frozen downlolad shows up on the screen and my computer locks up all over again. As long as I don't open frostwire, I have no problem with any other computer operation such as internet. Any tips on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I am a huge fan of torrents and frostwire is the most user friendly site I have found. Please help!!!!

Some critical file in the .frostwire folder may have gotten corrupted. That can cause such problems.
To address this, we need to give you a completely fresh start.
Try this-----
Make sure FrostWire is completely terminated
First, uninstall FrostWire. Use revo, a free unintaller and go above the standard uninstall.
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... r_portable
NOW: (for Win7. Other systems will have similar files)
    From file explorer, navigate to your c:\users\YourAccount
    (assuming your system drive is c:\") and delete the folder: .frostwire5
    This forces a reinitialization of FrostWire, so you will have to answer the setup questions.
Download a fresh copy of FrostWire from http://www.frostwire.com/
and reinstall.
Restart FrostWire and be alert for any error indications.

If it happens again, post back and we'll try to deal with it.

jsnaragon

Postby jsnaragon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm

I just finished trying your suggestion. I downloaded the revo uninstaller and followed all your directions but still got the same result. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Press Releases & Updates”