BETA TEST FrostWire 5.6.0

Upcoming new releases, project news and announcements.
gubatron
Development Team

BETA TEST FrostWire 5.6.0

Postby gubatron » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Build 2 available now at the official FrostWire download page
http://www.frostwire.com/downloads

(scroll to see the "BETA RELEASES" section)

New User Interface, this is a transition towards FrostWire 6. We're doing it in phases to not shock the user base with all the changes that are coming, and also to keep releasing and fixing as we go along the way, your feedback is extremely important.

Attention Debian/Ubuntu/Mint Users:
There is not a download link yet for you, but know that I'm building the .debian binary right now, Murphy is winning some of the battles, but I'll prevail if not tonight sometime tomorrow (sunday), please be patient.
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

Zooky

Re: BETA TEST FrostWire 5.6.0

Postby Zooky » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:26 pm

[quote="gubatron"]Build 2 available now [/quote]

Installed 5.6.0 - no problems there.

Couple of odd thingss noted, though.

1. Nub line - it remembered my last session setting (all the way to the top) = YEA!
Did a search, which was FAST! = YEA!
Deleted the search and then tried to bring nub line the way back up to the top. Couldn't. It would only go as far as keeping the ad for FW, grr - I want my full xfer window back - WAAAAAAAH!

2. Looked at library:

- Books only showed VLC music files (huh?) - May have been in previous releases, don't know, never checked

3. This is a biggy FOR ME:
Gotta remember - I'm a low vision person

Themes have apparently been removed. If so, EEK! When you removed the ability to adjust font size at least I could pick one or two themes that would at least yield bold fonts. But, if those themes are gone I'm left with teeny-tiny, faded, fonts to try and read. If the themes are still there -where you hide them?

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 am

Keywords:

I had quite a list of keywords entered. Found out that the install of 5.6.0 had cleared out all of the keywords, yielding it empty of all keywords.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:55 am

Bottom line:

The counters area (last line) is not large enough to show complete entries. End of them show "...". There is no way to resize those entries in order to show the entire data that they represent.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:37 am

[quote="Zooky"]
3. This is a biggy FOR ME:
Gotta remember - I'm a low vision person

Themes have apparently been removed. If so, EEK! When you removed the ability to adjust font size at least I could pick one or two themes that would at least yield bold fonts. But, if those themes are gone I'm left with teeny-tiny, faded, fonts to try and read. If the themes are still there -where you hide them?[/quote]

Further info on "Themes". I meant "Skins". When Skin removal was being discussed I didn't pay much attention. However, I now realize that it was via Skins that it was possible for me to obtain emboldened fonts. As such I am left with no means to obtain adjusting font size and/or bold fonts.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 am

[quote="Zooky"]

1. Nub line - it remembered my last session setting (all the way to the top) = YEA!
Did a search, which was FAST! = YEA!
Deleted the search and then tried to bring nub line the way back up to the top. Couldn't. It would only go as far as keeping the ad for FW, grr - I want my full xfer window back - WAAAAAAAH!
?[/quote]

Further testing reveals that once the search has been deleted an empty search box remains. There is no way to remove the search box. Moving the nub line upwards stops at bottom of that search box. The ability to remove the empty search box is needed.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Already fixed it so the "nub" line will go all the way to the top. Thanks Zooky!
https://github.com/frostwire/frostwire- ... cde69ee801

We'll try to make it so that you can change the font sizes like if you were on a web browser, with Ctrl+"+/=" to increase font size, with Ctrl+"-" to reduce font size, with Ctrl+"0" to restore to default font size. This will only be available across tables, we can't really change other UI font sizes without destroying the layout of the app. We hope this will be enough.

Will check what's up with the books considering video files as books.

Not sure what happened with your key words.

Can you be more specific as to what do you mean with the Counter line showing "...", could you paste a screenshot to see what part of the screen you mean by this.

Please keep sending feedback guys.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:50 pm

[quote="gubatron"]
We'll try to make it so that you can change the font sizes like if you were on a web browser, with Ctrl+"+/=" to increase font size, with Ctrl+"-" to reduce font size, with Ctrl+"0" to restore to default font size. This will only be available across tables, we can't really change other UI font sizes without destroying the layout of the app. We hope this will be enough.

Can you be more specific as to what do you mean with the Counter line showing "...", could you paste a screenshot to see what part of the screen you mean by this.

Please keep sending feedback guys.[/quote]

It *looks* as though your solution to font size will be just fine = THX!

As for the counters being squished, don't know what to say. I think that happened right after install of 5.6.0 but it has corrected itself. The display looks just fine now. Weird.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:54 pm

[quote="gubatron"]Already fixed it so the "nub" line will go all the way to the top. Thanks Zooky!
[/quote]

btw - thx for the fix to the nub line. That really was a tad annoying.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:01 am

Have noticed a new counter in the summary area. It's "total upstream". Mine currently shows 199 GB. What meaneth that counter? e.g. - total # GB since session started, or sum of the size of the torrents currently being u/l'd, or.......? Can't be # of torrents being u/l'd - I ain't got THAT many torrents. :)

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

hmm, there's no "total upstream", I suppose you mean "Uploaded", that would mean how many bytes have you uploaded for that transfer.

Or are you talking about something else?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 1.39.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 1.39.16 AM.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 5639 times

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:45 am

[quote="gubatron"]hmm, there's no "total upstream", I suppose you mean "Uploaded", that would mean how many bytes have you uploaded for that transfer.

Or are you talking about something else?[/quote]

No, you're right - it's total upstream. Now, am puzzled by your statement, above, "how many bytes have you uploaded for that transfer". It's the "that" that has me puzzled as in - which transfer? If I have 17 u/'s in motion at once do you mean: total xfers for all thus far; or, total # of bytes xferred when the last xfer completed; or, total # of bytes since the FW session was started; or..........?

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:14 pm

there's no sum or total field anywhere, every row corresponds to each transfer.
Total uploaded bytes, is the total uploaded bytes for that torrent during its entire lifetime, it has nothing to do with any other torrent except for itself.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:12 pm

gubatron wrote:there's no sum or total field anywhere, every row corresponds to each transfer.
Total uploaded bytes, is the total uploaded bytes for that torrent during its entire lifetime, it has nothing to do with any other torrent except for itself.

This is a work in progress, but I think it's sound.
Understanding Stats: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/stats.html

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 pm

A couple of updates.

@Scott1x, sorry we hadn't added you before to the credits, you've just been added (thank you Hobo for reminding us)
https://github.com/frostwire/frostwire- ... 0af8d23ad3

We're almost there with Font Increase/Decrease (here's a quick video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsxqLTu5gzk

Return to “Press Releases & Updates”