FrostWire 4.21.8 Release Candidate

Upcoming new releases, project news and announcements.
gubatron
Development Team

FrostWire 4.21.8 Release Candidate

Postby gubatron » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Please help us test the latest FrostWire 4.21.8 Release Candidate

Installers are available here

Full Changelog:

Code: Select all

frostwire (4.21.8) stable; urgency=high
  * Fixes a possible freeze reported by some users when the configuration
    wizard is shown.
  * Fixes issue when a user changes default Gnutella Save Folder
    and unchecks Sharing finished downloads. Individually shared
    files from the old Save Folder would still be shared.
    Now all individually shared files will be unshared if you uncheck
    this setting.
  * Now users don't have to re-start to stop seeding after they've changed
    their torrent Seeding Configuration. All torrents old and new will stop
    seeding as soon as the setting is applied.
  * Better wording to explain on which networks files are being shared on,
    Gnutella or BitTorrent.
  * Changed color of "Sharing Options" gear icon to blue, gray
    icon may have seemed as if the button was disabled.
  * Added "Sharing Options" gear button on Search Tab. It's only visible
    once a search has been started.
  * Added Help Menu options to learn about how to share/unshare files,
    torrent seeding, and how to avoid being scammed into paying for
    FrostWire. DO NOT PAY FOR FROSTWIRE.

-- FrostWire Team <contact@frostwire.com>  Thu, 16 May 2011 17:40:20 -0500
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

gubatron
Development Team

Re: FrostWire 4.21.8 Release Candidate

Postby gubatron » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Since we have received no complains we'll proceed and release now.

Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:14 am

Just came to my attention that joins/quits are being shown in #Main on the chat.
Easier to notice when friends come on, but I think perhaps it is more cumbersome to see them with the already fast-flowing messages in #Main.

Edit: Nevermind! I guess this only happens when there are less than 100 or so users in the chat room.
Last edited by Humanoid on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

camus

Postby camus » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:17 am

Doesn't not sharing (or encouraging people not to share what they download run counter to the idea of a filesharing network. What if everyone decides not to share their downloads? How long will Gnutella last?we already Know that only a small subset of users actually share files. The new policies l think will lead to even fewer people sharing.

barlou12

Postby barlou12 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:34 pm

hey camus,

i understand your views/concerns, and i am not privy the workings of the minds of the people that make the FW program, and therefore makes it possible for everybody to share thier files for free.

unfortunately, not everyboby, as you have alluded to, really cares about, or understands the workings of the gnutella network, and i suspect the programers have made the descision to not share files by default as an attempt to stop the spread of spam ipod files by people that dont know or care about what they are doing to the network.

people like your goodself and fear not, many others, will continue to share files that are worthy of being shared.
sadly FW is just one of many programs available to people to file share over the gnutella network, so unless people start caring, the problems with spam files will not be going away any time soon.

all we can do is make sure we are not downloading spam, and that we personally are not sharing spam from our computers.

share and be happy

camus

Postby camus » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks for the answer,

If the programmers at FW are watching this thread, my fear is that sooner than later we will have nothing but spam left, as no one will be sharing. It seems incredible that by default you disable sharing and then in the options restrict connections from freeloaders...

I am not really concerned about people who are on the forums, or ordering stickers, or advocating Frostwire. I am thinking more of the casual, average person, who installs Frostwire, accepts the defaults, downloads and believes they are contributing to the network when in fact the opposite is true.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 pm

@camus With FrostWire 5, spam should no longer be an issue. Sign up for the beta test if you want to give it a try https://groups.google.com/group/frostwi ... true&pli=1

markettrade

Postby markettrade » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:27 am

It seems incredible that by default you disable sharing and then in the options restrict connections from freeloaders...

I am not really concerned about people who are on the forums, or ordering stickers, or advocating Frostwire. I am thinking more of the casual, average person, who installs Frostwire, accepts the defaults, downloads and believes they are contributing to the network when in fact the opposite is true.
-----------------------------

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:59 am

markettrade wrote:It seems incredible that by default you disable sharing and then in the options restrict connections from freeloaders...

-----------------------------

It is a clearly marked set up option! If you DO select (or leave) no sharing, the transfer status window clearly marks that it is stopped, when it completes downloading. It is also on the first page of the option screen.

Point of interest: NO ONE should ever install a program and blindly select all of the default settings. When a setting is presented, read it, understand it, and make the choice that seems appropriate.

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:51 pm

This was the case with some of the old Frostwire 4 versions, and the reason for the no sharing default setting had to do with legal arguments at the time. This is not relevant to Frostwire 5.4.0
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:40 pm

We don't have it "unmarked' by default.

After weeks of no sleep with feds calling us and pretty much forcing us to turn off sharing by default, we managed to convinced them that what we could do was have both shared, or unshared unchecked, and that the setup screen wouldn't let the user continue until they made up their minds.

Yes, we lost a lot of seeds that way, but in the end, FrostWire is still standing, and consumers are much informed about what's being shared or not.

The whole thing started as an initiative of the feds to safe guard your privacy and avoid any unwanted sharing of files.

Those days have probably been the most stressful days of my life, not to mention all the legal fees we had to face.

From now on, when you see something that looks really stupid on a piece of software, regarding settings, don't think developers are stupid, it's probably uncle sam forcing their hand. There's a lot of regulation going on.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:25 pm

I wondered about that. My philosophy is, if it's stupid, look to government, and this is one more confirmation of that.

Thank you for the enlightenment on this one!

Return to “Press Releases & Updates”