iPhone/ipod touch frostwire

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
Hard rockr

iPhone/ipod touch frostwire

Postby Hard rockr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:34 pm

I think this is a great idea. You wont however be able to get this into the appstore, but for the jailbreak community... There is already a plugin in cydia that gives java run time environment (jre). Also it is sure to have enough power. It even meets the minimum requirements for the desktop version. as it has got 128 mb of ram and 600 MHz processor. Think about how great it would be. Also the iphone has a torrent downloader (that sucks). I can easily imagine good download speeds through 3g or wifi. (I am always connected to wifi). As i do not code in java (I might help if you direct me to some place that shows me how). I make programs in xcode. PS I have read all the other posts.

Metal-Maniac-Mat

Re: iPhone/ipod touch frostwire

Postby Metal-Maniac-Mat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:33 pm

I dunno about this. I'm sure frostwire would run fine on the iPhone but can you imagine the phone bill from downloading content on a 3g network? I don't know about your phone provider but mine isn't so nice when it comes to downloading on a mobile device. And as for wifi, if your using wifi your most likley to be at home on your own network. So why not just download with your home computer?

Also not everyone can afford a pricy item like the iPhone. It would be a waste of time to devolope a app for 1 single device. I'm sure the frostwire team have better things to worry about.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR2 667MHZ
HDD: 320GB SATA II 16MB Western Digital
Monitor: 22" ViewSonic VX2235WM
Video Card: NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB

Hard rockr

Postby Hard rockr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:14 am

With the iphone it is required that you get an unlimited data plan when you sign up. The wifi, I am at a lot of places where theirs wifi thats not home. Where I live there is wifi hotspots everywhere. The reason I think its a good idea is this. "Your talking to someone at work, they suggest a song, so you get onto your iphone, open frostwire and download it, and start listening. I can see your points, It is far more practical for some people than it is for others.

Edit: If only I knew how to code in java... I would do it myself. Is there an opensource gnutella client written in c? Then I could port it to the iphone, color it blue and say its frostwire.

Metal-Maniac-Mat

Postby Metal-Maniac-Mat » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:44 am

well the iPhone runs on Unix doesnt it? just compile the sourcecode
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) 2.4GHZ
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR2 667MHZ
HDD: 320GB SATA II 16MB Western Digital
Monitor: 22" ViewSonic VX2235WM
Video Card: NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB

Hard rockr

Postby Hard rockr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:49 pm

sadly it not that easy, because of different interface types, accessing the ipod framework, and other differences from the computer. Id have to learn java to make it. :|

Edit: By how many views this is getting I think im not the only one who would like this. I would like one of the frostwire devs opinion. I also want to point out errricks soon to be released pwnplayer and isoulseek. I would prefer gnutella over the soulseek network for its enhanced speed and the amount of files.

Black_Viper

Postby Black_Viper » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:12 pm

In my opinion, the problem would be getting it to work with Apple approving. They do have the ability to kill apps that they don't like and making a file sharing app doesn't seem that likable to a company that sells the songs that people that would use it would download for free. I could see it working better with the iPod Touch than the iPhone...

Hard rockr

Postby Hard rockr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 pm

I knew that would be a problem to begin with. Thats why I suggested getting it onto Cydia, the jailbroken installer. Their the only rules that apply is the hardware, and someone hosting it. It can access anything and everything it wants. It does not need to follow apples rules, and apple does not need to accept it into the store. The competitor for it right now would be mewseek. Which is based on the soulseek network (stupidly). :roll:
it is slow.
you cant download from more than one person at a time.
It does not split the song into pieces.
It cant preview songs that have not been downloaded completely.

Black_Viper

Postby Black_Viper » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:38 pm

I could see it working on a jailbroken iPod Touch or iPhone if they decided to... People that can't or won't jailbreak theirs would be a little out of luck though

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:28 pm

Is there a Java Virtual Machine for Jailbreak? If there is maybe something could be done.
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

Black_Viper

Postby Black_Viper » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Not sure if it's for jailbreak but this article mentions Sun making a Java Virtual Machine for iPhone... http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9067358

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:35 am

Once out, we'll def. give it a try on porting it.
It will be fun to see if the iPhone allows to create an ad-hoc wifi network, it'd be really cool to open frostwire anywhere on the street, maybe a coffee house, or a subway car, and see if there are other users around you.

Hard rockr

Postby Hard rockr » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Their is multiple java run time envirement (programs) for the iphone/ipod touch out now. Ill list them here
Classpath
Fastjar
JamVM
Java SQLite
Jikes
Rhino
Also the iphone sdk can compile java code...

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:49 pm

Sorry for being lazy, but I'd like to chat a little more about it on the open (so this can be googled later for whoever is doing research on the subject)

Can you install these along your iPod/iPhone application bundle (say if you were on a regular macosx app, you'd put the runtime maybe under FrostWire.app/Contents/Frameworks/SomeJVM) or these only run if you have a Jail Broken iPhone.

Hard rockr

Postby Hard rockr » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:22 pm

The different runtimes are only for jailbroken ipods/iphones, However the java support in the sdk is still there, but I am not sure if it will support all the commands that you need. Also apple would probably not let it into the appstore that is why jailbroken ones are probably your only option. I would help you develop it but I am kind of busy, you can see my blog in my signature.

Demi

Postby Demi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:26 pm

But what if just the chat was available? That would be incredible. I use my iTouch a ton for Internet, and a lot of times I wish I could log on to community chat. Not a bad idea, but would it take too much?

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”