Frostwire My Documents Folder **

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
Only A Hobo

Re: Frostwire My Documents Folder **

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon May 31, 2010 7:55 pm

@SamuelZior

Frostwire and Limewire on which it is based have both long created the save folder by default in Windows > My documents. I am a Mac user so am not entirely sure of the Windows file/folder structure, but if you want to change the save location you can in Tools > Options > Saving, but a Frostwire folder will continue to be created in My Documents.

When you say "should" I'm guessing you are saying that is what you would like .. It is not a request we often see, so I am not sure it is likely to be changed in the near future.
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon May 31, 2010 8:07 pm

@the_hyrax_lord

your point is taken .. again .. no promises but we can hope :)
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

SamuelZior

Postby SamuelZior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:19 pm

@the_hyrax_lord: I don't find the My Documents folder to be "useless" or "empty". It contains my Word Documents. Letters, reports etc that I have writtem. It is far from useless or empty for me. Since frostwire is downloading the logically the default should be a downloads folder and Windows 7 by default has a downloads folder built in now. No need to create the folder called "downloads" in Windows 7 because Microsoft built it into the OS. The downloads folder in Windows 7 has an icon with a blue arrow in it poiting down.

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:31 pm

SamuelZior wrote:@the_hyrax_lord: I don't find the My Documents folder to be "useless" or "empty". It contains my Word Documents. Letters, reports etc that I have writtem. It is far from useless or empty for me. Since frostwire is downloading the logically the default should be a downloads folder and Windows 7 by default has a downloads folder built in now. No need to create the folder called "downloads" in Windows 7 because Microsoft built it into the OS. The downloads folder in Windows 7 has an icon with a blue arrow in it poiting down.

@SamuelZior: you've misunderstood me. I don't mean My Documents is useless! The 'Frostwire' folder which Frostwire creates inside the My Documents folder is useless. In the program, I've set my downloads to save to a specific location, and yet every time I delete that Frostwire folder (the one in My Documents) it gets recreated. That's where MY problem lies.

I think we're actually on the same side here - neither of us wants Frostwire to create an unnecessary folder we haven't asked it to.

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:35 pm

*Sigh*

This has still not been addressed in the latest version, and so I'm going to persist in arguing for its removal. Sure, it's small, it's insignificant, it doesn't affect users all that much, but that's all the more reason a simple tweak should be made to make sure it's not created. The more they focus on big new features, the more little irritants like this get overlooked.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Can you open a new very DETAILED Issue here.

State how folders are looking now for you on Windows 7, and how do you think the perfect Folder structure should be.

How do you address our need for the other folders like "Shared", "Torrents", and the upcoming "Phones and Tablets",
should we put all of those folders inside Windows 7's "Downloads\FrostWire" ?

Thanks for being persistent.
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:34 am

gubatron wrote:Can you open a new very DETAILED Issue here.

State how folders are looking now for you on Windows 7, and how do you think the perfect Folder structure should be.

How do you address our need for the other folders like "Shared", "Torrents", and the upcoming "Phones and Tablets",
should we put all of those folders inside Windows 7's "Downloads\FrostWire" ?

Thanks for being persistent.

When I click that link I get an unauthorised error. I suppose I have to create an account with that site?

In any case I don't use or have access to Windows 7. Are the folders structured differently on 7 than on XP?

I will see about creating a bitbucket account later on, but for now I'd simply say that it's not necessarily the STRUCTURE that bothers me as the creation of a folder without my say-so. Ideally part of the installation process should ask the user where to create any necessary folders, so people with more rigid organisational structures can place the Frostwire folder where it most makes sense for them.

EDIT: And thanks for replying to this. Knowing that this folder will have more use in future does make it more important how it is handled (I see now it's not simply a case of getting rid of it - as I don't use the Shared or Torrents folder, it hadn't occurred to me), but user control over folder locations is very important, I think.

canwepretend1974

Postby canwepretend1974 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Two and a half years after the OP made the thread.
I'm assuming everyone forgot about this problem?
I registered here to make this post and say that I'm having the same issue.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:11 pm

This issue is still in our pipeline, so little time, so much to do.

https://bitbucket.org/frostwire/frostwi ... -windows-7

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:54 am

Since I can now set in the Options where I want torrents to save, why is Frostwire still rebuilding a Frostwire>Torrents folder in My Documents on every start up? I was so excited when I saw you'd implemented the change; far less so when I saw it didn't actually make a blind bit of difference.

As far as I can see, with the changes in v.5 there is no longer any dedicated 'Incomplete' folder or anything like that which needs somewhere separate to go. I'm not sure about the 'shared' folder so much, but assuming that refers to content I am sharing on the Frostwire network, surely that now applies to any torrents/files left in the Torrents folder (or whatever folder I choose to download to)?

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 pm

@the_hyrax_lord

Just to explain what is now happening as regards Frostwire5. Frostwire5 uses just two folders: Torrent Data and Torrents. These are in the same location as the same folders created by Frostwire4 and if Frostwire4 is or was installed they will be next to the Saved Shared and incomplete folders that were used by Frost4.

As to this long running issue, are you saying that the Frostwire Folder location was never altered for Windows 7 users, or that just the location in Frostwire 5 has reverted to the My documents location?

Please repeat where you would like the location to be for Windows 7 and confirm I am understanding the issue correctly.

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Only A Hobo wrote:@the_hyrax_lord

Just to explain what is now happening as regards Frostwire5. Frostwire5 uses just two folders: Torrent Data and Torrents. These are in the same location as the same folders created by Frostwire4 and if Frostwire4 is or was installed they will be next to the Saved Shared and incomplete folders that were used by Frost4.

As to this long running issue, are you saying that the Frostwire Folder location was never altered for Windows 7 users, or that just the location in Frostwire 5 has reverted to the My documents location?

Please repeat where you would like the location to be for Windows 7 and confirm I am understanding the issue correctly.

First off, as I am not a Windows 7 user, I can neither confirm nor deny that it works properly for Windows 7. Your repeated use of 'Windows 7' in your reply leads me to wonder if perhaps this means Frostwire development is now skewed heavily in favour of W7, and that it might well be my issue only exists for older Windows versions.

To clarify what's happening, anyway: in the Frostwire options, the very first option that appears is the Torrent Data Save folder. I have set this to a location outside of My Documents, and when I download a torrent, it saves it to the correct location (the folder I selected). However, whenever I load up Frostwire, it continues to create a Frostwire>Torrents folder in My Documents.

EDIT: Ah, I see what's happening - I just tried a test download. While the torrent is downloading, the data goes into My Documents>Frostwire>Torrents, but the finished files go to the location I've selected. The .torrent file remains in My Documents>Frostwire>Torrents. I suppose my personal preference would be to have that data stored with the Frostwire program folder, but obviously that's not to everyone's taste - I would love to be able to set it to save elsewhere, and then forget about it, without having to delete the My Documents>Frostwire folder after every use. The .torrents are not strictly speaking what I would call 'documents', and not something which, I feel, needs to be so readily accessible.

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:53 am

I rather glossed over your post assuming it was to do with a long standing Windows 7 issue we have been having .. My apologies for that.

Saving .torrent files in the Program folder would be a bad idea, since any update of Frostwire would remove any files saved in that location.

I do not know how easy it would be to make the location of the Torrents folder alterable, but it is something I will put to the developers.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 pm

So is the bug basically, that even after changing the default save location, next time FrostWire starts (or as it's being used) it will recreate the frostwire folders on the default locations?
(should be an easy fix)

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Um .. My post was from August :) Im not sure this particular issue still exists, or does it?

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”