Frostwire My Documents Folder **

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
StHapns247

Frostwire My Documents Folder **

Postby StHapns247 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Is there a way to stop Frostwire from putting a folder in My Documents? In older versions I could do it by specifying a different folder for downloads and incomplete files, but this does not seem to work with version 4.17.0.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Only A Hobo

Re: Frostwire My Documents Folder

Postby Only A Hobo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:11 pm

You can specify a different location for your save folder in Tools >options > saving. I don't think that should be a problem. BUT I am not sure if folders in your documents will still be created or not. They now appear in my documents in a folder called Frostwire, and are shared, incomplete, store purchased (which is a hangover from Limewire which should I think not be there) and shared. Once you have created your new save folder a new incomplete folder should be created with it and you may or not be able to delete the other folders ... It may be that they will automatically re-create each time you open Frostwire. This was a problem with Limewire which I think they cured. Please let us know what you find and your Operating System.
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

StHapns247

Postby StHapns247 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:42 pm

I have tried specifying a different folder to save files in and then deleting the FrostWire folder, but it reappears when ever I open FrostWire again. I've done it a few times so I know it happens every time.

My OS is Windows XP SP2.

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:55 pm

Ok ... It seems that that folder can not be deleted, at any rate in this version ... Are your downloads however going to your newly designated save folder?
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

StHapns247

Postby StHapns247 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Yes, my downloads go to my designated folder, but it is annoying to have a useless folder in My Documents.

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:29 pm

We'll see what we can do about this in the next version ... moved to feature requests ... no promises :)

nonproffessional
Team Member

Re: Frostwire My Documents Folder **

Postby nonproffessional » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:48 pm

For now try right clicking the folder, then Properties and set it to hidden. It will still be there but you won't be able to tell :)

Ziggy114

Postby Ziggy114 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:02 pm

It's the same on mac os x 10.4.11
I've changed my download folder to ~/Downloads/ and still it creates the folder ~/FrostWire/StorePurchased/ every time I fire up FrostWire. Annoying, but hopefully this will be fixed in the next version. Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth.

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Just adding another voice to getting this minor annoyance removed, and thought I'd tie in this other thread on the same topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5008

Even after changing the location in frostwire.props, this 'frostwire' folder in 'My Documents' continues to be recreated. Surely it's a minor tweak to ensure it doesn't happen in future versions?

Keeping my fingers crossed, and keep up the great work :)

the_hyrax_lord

Re: Frostwire My Documents Folder / Incomplete

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:15 am

I'd also like to see it made easier to choose the location of your 'incomplete' folder, while we're on a similar subject :)

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm not entirely sure if this Frostwire folder in My Documents is still created in 4.18.4 (which has just been released) if you choose a different save location... It is something I forgot to check and having reloaded my shares twice in two days I'm not about to change anything right now :D

The incomplete folder will always be created next to the save folder (i/e/ if you have a new save location you will have two save and 2 incomplete folders unless the My documents folder is no longer created. I do not believe there can be any easy way to alter the relative location of the incomplete folder. A major alteration to the code would be required.

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:21 am

Only A Hobo wrote:I'm not entirely sure if this Frostwire folder in My Documents is still created in 4.18.4 (which has just been released) if you choose a different save location... It is something I forgot to check and having reloaded my shares twice in two days I'm not about to change anything right now :D

The incomplete folder will always be created next to the save folder (i/e/ if you have a new save location you will have two save and 2 incomplete folders unless the My documents folder is no longer created. I do not believe there can be any easy way to alter the relative location of the incomplete folder. A major alteration to the code would be required.

I'll be sure to check out the latest update and see about that. Good news if you're correct :)

As for the incomplete folder, its location can easily be changed by editing frostwire.props with no ill effects. I've done this one each computer I use Frostwire on, to fit my folder structure. There are no duplicate 'incomplete' folders anywhere. I forget the exact line (I'm on a computer without Frostwire right now), but it is something obvious like 'LOCATIONTOSAVEINCOMPLETEFILES='

It was this simple tweak that made me think it would be just as simple to make it a part of the GUI options. Perhaps I'm wrong. In any case, as I say, it can be done anyway, so it's not a massive problem/request. It would just be easier for people less confident about rooting around in the setup files, who would still like more control over where Frostwire puts things.

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Nope, even with the newest version, Frostwire still creates this folder (My Documents>Frostwire) every time I launch it, despite none of my save options pointing there. Interestingly, when I first installed the new version, the folder was created with Incomplete and Store Purchased folders inside it, but these have not reappeared after being deleted.

SamuelZior

Postby SamuelZior » Mon May 31, 2010 7:44 pm

Frostwire should be saving in the DOWNLOADS folder not the DOCUMENTS folder.

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 pm

@SamuelZior: Frostwire SAVES wherever you set it to save, that isn't the issue. The issue is that regardless of that, it still CREATES that folder in My Documents - a useless, empty folder.

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”