Frostwire My Documents Folder **

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
gubatron
Development Team

Re: Frostwire My Documents Folder **

Postby gubatron » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 pm

I'll have to check :p,
we def. did a lot of work since august on default save folders and what not.
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Thu May 23, 2013 10:21 am

gubatron wrote:So is the bug basically, that even after changing the default save location, next time FrostWire starts (or as it's being used) it will recreate the frostwire folders on the default locations?
(should be an easy fix)

Haven't used Frostwire in a long while but just booted it up again and I can confirm that this issue still exists with the latest version. I have my torrents set to save in a custom folder of my own choosing, but every time I start up Frostwire, a 'frostwire' folder is created in My Documents, with a 'Torrents' folder within it.

I can understand it being created on Install, but once the user has selected a different folder for torrents, that frostwire folder should not be automatically regenerated.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu May 23, 2013 3:11 pm

the_hyrax_lord wrote:
gubatron wrote:So is the bug basically, that even after changing the default save location, next time FrostWire starts (or as it's being used) it will recreate the frostwire folders on the default locations?
(should be an easy fix)

Haven't used Frostwire in a long while but just booted it up again and I can confirm that this issue still exists with the latest version. I have my torrents set to save in a custom folder of my own choosing, but every time I start up Frostwire, a 'frostwire' folder is created in My Documents, with a 'Torrents' folder within it.

I can understand it being created on Install, but once the user has selected a different folder for torrents, that frostwire folder should not be automatically regenerated.

Is that FrostWire or .frostwire5 folder? If the latter, it's a work file and is necessary to track FrostWire activity. Your downloads will go to the target folder.

If you are using the current version, it should be working.
http://catfangz.com/frostwire/Trouble.html

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 pm

It's the My Documents > Frostwire (> Torrents) folder(s), NOT the .frostwire folder in Documents and Settings. I'm on XP.

Again, my torrents do work correctly - ie, they download to my chosen location - but the Frostwire folder continues to be created in My Documents every time I start up the program, no matter how many times I delete it or reconfirm that I want my torrents downloading to a different folder altogether.

EDIT:

I just opened up frostwire.props and I see the following lines:

DIRECTORY_FOR_SAVING_FILES=C\:\\Documents and Settings\\john\\My Documents\\FrostWire
DIRECTORY_FOR_OPEN_DESKTOP_EXPLORER=C\:\\Documents and Settings\\john\\My Documents\\FrostWire
LIBRARY_FROM_DEVICE_DATA_DIR_SETTING=C\:\\Documents and Settings\\john\\My Documents\\FrostWire\\From Device
TORRENTS_DIR_SETTING=C\:\\Documents and Settings\\john\\My Documents\\FrostWire\\Torrents

Clearly this is something to do with the issue, but there's nowhere in the options within the program itself that I can change these settings, and while I'm willing to manually edit the props file to see if that works, I don't want to have to do it every time I update the program (assuming it would even do the trick!).

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 pm

the_hyrax_lord wrote:It's the My Documents > Frostwire (> Torrents) folder(s), NOT the .frostwire folder in Documents and Settings. I'm on XP.

Again, my torrents do work correctly - ie, they download to my chosen location - but the Frostwire folder continues to be created in My Documents every time I start up the program, no matter how many times I delete it or reconfirm that I want my torrents downloading to a different folder altogether.

EDIT:

I just opened up frostwire.props and I see the following lines:

DIRECTORY_FOR_SAVING_FILES=I\:\\Documents and Settings\\ARIrish\\My Documents\\FrostWire
DIRECTORY_FOR_OPEN_DESKTOP_EXPLORER=I\:\\Documents and Settings\\ARIrish\\My Documents\\FrostWire
LIBRARY_FROM_DEVICE_DATA_DIR_SETTING=I\:\\Documents and Settings\\ARIrish\\My Documents\\FrostWire\\From Device
TORRENTS_DIR_SETTING=I\:\\Documents and Settings\\ARIrish\\My Documents\\FrostWire\\Torrents

Clearly this is something to do with the issue, but there's nowhere in the options within the program itself that I can change these settings, and while I'm willing to manually edit the props file to see if that works, I don't want to have to do it every time I update the program.

Frostwire is designed to function in this manner. I'm not happy with the scattering of files all over the place, but a lot of that is supposed to allow multiuser computers to allow different users to have unique execution histories of the same program.

When I can, I use "portable" versions of programs, but FW does not have a portable version. Personally, I've learned to live with it. Since it is not a bug, I doubt that any priority would be assigned to fixing something that is working as intended.

the_hyrax_lord

Postby the_hyrax_lord » Thu May 23, 2013 3:40 pm

It's DESIGNED to allow a user to select a folder of their own choosing, and then go on creating its own folder regardless? Ah well, I guess I'll just have to live with it too, then.

A portable version would be nice, yes. We can dream :)

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu May 23, 2013 3:58 pm

the_hyrax_lord wrote:It's DESIGNED to allow a user to select a folder of their own choosing, and then go on creating its own folder regardless? Ah well, I guess I'll just have to live with it too, then.

A portable version would be nice, yes. We can dream :)

It was M$ idea of having separate user folders so multiple accounts could use the same computer with minimal overlap. Personally, since 1977, I've never had a computer with multiple accounts. I have ONE user. Me. I like it that way and trying to find my files, scattered all over my HD, due to a facility that I never need, is a pain is the a$$!

I'd LOVE an option to allow single folder installation... with download folder selected at download time! :? As you say: We can dream!

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”