oldstyle who's downloading search

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
murfield

oldstyle who's downloading search

Postby murfield » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:16 pm

In the old days of limewire etc. we were able to check out the music of the people who were downloading from us.
I found this a very valuable feature as I was able to find a lot of songs from people with the same musical tastes that were downloading from my selections.

Scott1x

Re: oldstyle who's downloading search

Postby Scott1x » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:22 am

murfield wrote:In the old days of limewire etc. we were able to check out the music of the people who were downloading from us.
I found this a very valuable feature as I was able to find a lot of songs from people with the same musical tastes that were downloading from my selections.

Part of the design of torrent protocol involves the user being able to precisely specify what is to be shared in any given torrent. In the torrent world, it is very unlikely that you'd be downloading anything from only one user. Some torrents have hundreds of seeds and peers for one torrent. While some torrent programs allow you to see what IPs you are downloading from, but in today's world, that IP could simply be VPN node and tell you nothing about the user.

Even if you do have a list of IPs of the users that you are downloading from, there's not a lot you can do with an IP. Some users do make libraries of torrents, and you may be able to find them, but part of torrent processing is the inherent anonymity and safety of the process. It is a different time and world.

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”