New Feature Request: Show U/L Progress

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
Zooky

New Feature Request: Show U/L Progress

Postby Zooky » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 am

It would be helpful, if possible, if there was a column that the progress of a U/L.
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

Scott1x

Re: New Feature Request: Show U/L Progress

Postby Scott1x » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Zooky wrote:It would be helpful, if possible, if there was a column that the progress of a U/L.

I don't see how that could be possible. You can be uploading to many people at one time, and they can be connected to others for the same item. How would you calculate that?

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Scott1x wrote:How would you calculate that?

I freely admit to: I DONNO. But, there have been so many times that I see a torrent being u/l'd at a high rate of speed but it still seems to take forever. I'd like to be able to see if the u/l has a lot or little remaining to u/l. Nevermind, put this one on the "too tough to handle" pile.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Since and infinite number of people can upload a torrent, the time to theoretical completion has to be infinity.

Go with that. It'll make life easier.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Scott1x wrote:Go with that. It'll make life easier.

Sorta, maybe, kinda - I've seen other P2P clients do that, sorta makes me wonder how they do it - not saying it's all whatever they're smoking.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:41 am

Zooky wrote:
Scott1x wrote:Go with that. It'll make life easier.

Sorta, maybe, kinda - I've seen other P2P clients do that, sorta makes me wonder how they do it - not saying it's all whatever they're smoking.

They don't really. It's something they they pull from where the sun don't shine! Based on upload stats, you could estimate the upload time based on the size of your torrent, but once you exceed 100 percent, upload time would calculate as negative.

Think of the math! How would YOU calculate it? Assume: you have a 100 meg torrent, you have uploaded 200 meg, you are connected to 18 peers with constantly varying transfer rates. When will the upload complete...oh, three of the peers just finished and 5 more have joined the swarm. Now what?

IF you are connected to ONE peer, who is only connected to you, the math is very simple, but how often does that happen?

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:26 am

Scott1x wrote:IF you are connected to ONE peer, who is only connected to you, the math is very simple, but how often does that happen?

Since my torrents tend to be very large, and are in a niche genre, one peer and one seed is the norm. They tend to get d/l'd by leechers that rarely seed them.

Oh well. Not worth the effort, no biggy.

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”