View all file names

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
tiempolento

View all file names

Postby tiempolento » Thu May 25, 2006 10:48 pm

It would be really nice if you could see all the file names for a file. For instance, if you have 100 sources for a file, it would be nice if you could expand the view to show all the names people have for that file. Like on BearShare, I used to be able to click the little plus sign.

REASON: Seeing all the file names helps to find which files are fake. Some people name a fake file to what it really is, so you can look down the list and sometimes spot a fake file before downloading it.

Martin

birdy

Postby birdy » Fri May 26, 2006 7:14 pm

The # shows how many hosts have identical files. So, whatever you see in the description field does apply to all the sources of that particular file! If you were to expand that & be able to show every source's file, all you'd see is (eg)100 files that all look exactly the same as what's written in the description field (hope I'm not confusing you here!!)

That's why the search results page has so many different file descriptions listed, the differences may only be 1KB in bitrate or an upper case letter instead of a lower case etc etc.

So you can pick the fakes... as you can already see all different versions of a file being shared.
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.

tiempolento

No grouping?

Postby tiempolento » Sat May 27, 2006 8:51 am

OK I get it.

So it doesn't group them only by the basic content of the file, but by the file name as well? That's different from what I was used to, where the file names would be different for what was basically the same file.

Is there any decent way to spot fakes, then, if labeling them won't make the file names inconsistent? There ought to be a bayesian way, based maybe on people's votes.....

Martin

birdy

Postby birdy » Sat May 27, 2006 6:58 pm

If a file's described L_I_K_E_ T_H_I_S or l_i_k_e t_h_i_s it's more that likely a fake, specially if it's from a T3 source. Programs smaller that 1MB are suspicious.
Lately there've been new fakes appearing, all with huge numbers of sources (up to 100). For these the vendor is usually LIME, chat's enabled & they can be any speed but most often T1 & T3 (these will just sit 'connecting' forever). Anything with 'sponsored' in the title will just take you to a webpage.

Check bitrate vs file size (if it's a song with a bitrate of 192 & the file size is 800KB... something's wrong!) Some file sizes are well known for being junk - 134.4KB

There are also certain file sizes which contain malware, read the info below!
WARNING: Viruses on the network you should be aware of
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.

tiempolento

freedb/Antivirus/Thunderbird spam filter

Postby tiempolento » Sat May 27, 2006 7:50 pm

You know the Freedb thing where you can get the names of CD songs. If we had such a database which was sort of a wiki, (but somehow prevented subversion...) and programmed with knowledge such as yours, birdy, we could cut down on spam.

Or, there could be rules that FrostWire downloads, like antivirus rules, which contain rules such as "Files with between 50 and infinite sources with X percentage T1 or T3 lines, are spam, especially when in the data base there are descriptions of files with other names with the same number of bytes..." This kind of thing, if combined with a few bayesian statistics ought to eliminate most of the spam. Because the knowledge is there to spot most of the fakes.

I bet the community could stay ahead of the attacks, no matter how much they pay the saboteurs.

So, do any actual programmers have ideas? Is there any one in a position to propose a gnutella-wide programming effort to develop a spam filter? Let's get real: it's easy to spot copyrighted files. We can't ignore spam because preventing it would use technology which could be used to filter copyrighted files.

It seems like Gnutella is getting harder and harder to use because of the spam. It's a crisis like the one we just passed with email, where spam was getting to be a real roadblock. If we don't start filtering spam, the spammers are just going to get better and better, till they shut down the network. We have to get real about spam. We have to create a real spam filtering method, and then make whatever changes are necessary, such as making Gnutella more like Freenet and/or Mute.

And at least, FrostWire could be immediately re-programmed not to:
1. not sit and try to connect forever.
2. wait (nearly?) forever without trying to connecto to another file.
3. not find any sources for a file, and fail to automatically search for some. I've had a file sit there all night not downloading, but when I searched for it in the morning, there were over a hundred sources, and it started downloading the min I searched manually.
4. Consider the number of bytes when saying a file is spam. Like, I've told it any number of times that the 1050 kb .mov files are spam to me.

What do you guys/girls think?

Martin

ianw
Development Team

Postby ianw » Sat May 27, 2006 8:44 pm

there is a spam filter already built in, and there is a DHT on its way...

Is is hopeless then?

Postby Guest » Sat May 27, 2006 11:06 pm

So ian.w, I'm guessing you don't mean that Gnutella will soon be given a shot of the most potent naturally occurring androgen. Or perhaps you are making a metaphor, that hair is like spam, and if you give the network a shot of DHT, the hair will fall out. Or, that Gnutella needs to mature and be a man. see http://www.aeron.com/dht1.htm.

I find little enlightenment on google about how a Distributed Hash Table would solve the problem of spam. From the little that I found, it sounds like a way of making sure the network is robust. So, maybe it could deliver spam really fast or something.

So what are you saying? That FrostWire will change to a design where a webpage on something like freenet will have links and the hash so you know you aren't getting fakes? Sort of like Emule? How would it work? Well, I probably wouldn't understand if you said, really, but is there something in the works that will allow file sharing where you get the file you want, and don't get sued (till they change the law)?

I know there's a spam filter, but like I say, it doesn't work very well yet. I'm not bashing it, it's better than nothing.

Martin

tiempolento

the most potent androgen

Postby tiempolento » Sat May 27, 2006 11:10 pm

Sorry, those two posts above were mine I checked the box which was supposed to automatically log me in, but I guess it doesn't work.

Martin

ianw
Development Team

Postby ianw » Sun May 28, 2006 1:13 am

I think you need a dose of optimism ;)

Cyberwraith

Postby Cyberwraith » Sun May 28, 2006 3:10 pm

What you need is a full size Hostiles list like the one available for Bearshare.

and don't forget the Bitzy link
There are 3 types of people in the world,
Those that can count,
and those that can't!!

tiempolento

optomism?

Postby tiempolento » Sun May 28, 2006 3:30 pm

Really, optimism? Maybe you're right. But the country was founded by big business owners, (this isn't just my interpretation, it's real) and big business is still in charge and would like nothing better than to shut down the Gnutella network. These are the people who went to court to keep libraries from offering books and to ban the use of the VHS VCR, after having gotten their start pirating books and ideas from Europe. These are the people who -on another front- want to keep the option open to torture, retain without Habeas Corpus, fight preemptive wars, and spy on the public. "My" Senator Hatch is the one who proposed hacking file-sharer's computers. I'm optimistic about the general gist of history -it's getting better- but I'm not optimistic about the prospects of open networks trading bits of the cultural commons ownership of which is claimed by powers enthusiastically backed by the most powerful and technically sophisticated government in the world.

So if the Gnutella network is to survive as a free service, or a service that pays only artists and not corporations, it will have to stay ahead of those powers. And, given the trouble I have getting movies, we aren't staying ahead.

I'm optimistic that it can be done, but it doesn't look like anyone is really doing it. Where is the effort to make Freenet into a nice file-sharing app as easy to use as FrostWire? The potential is there, but it's not being used.

Thanks for the replies ian.w, but you haven't given me any reason for optimism. The network is still fine for tunes, but it is getting worse than it used to be to find movies, and unless someone does something to prevent it (like making it more like freenet), the legal situation will only get worse.

I mean, you're on the development team, it says. Didn't LimeWire just go corporate? Why'd you break with them then? If optimism is so justified, there was no need.

So, I want to be an optimist. Help me :roll:

Martin

CarlDeen

What is DHT?

Postby CarlDeen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 pm

ianw wrote:there is a spam filter already built in, and there is a DHT on its way...

I checked Acroymn finder and none to the definations seemed to apply.

SCUBA Girl

Re: View all file names

Postby SCUBA Girl » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Can anyone tell me what is means when I see a file name with numbers in front of it such as "03_Armin_Van_Buuren_-_Save_My_Night_Original_Mix" or "31 Dash Berlin - Till The Sky Falls Down [ASOT RADIO CLASSIC]". Lately all the searches come up with numbers in front the file names and it's a bit annoying!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :D

Scott1x

Re: View all file names

Postby Scott1x » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:43 pm

SCUBA Girl wrote:Can anyone tell me what is means when I see a file name with numbers in front of it such as "03_Armin_Van_Buuren_-_Save_My_Night_Original_Mix" or "31 Dash Berlin - Till The Sky Falls Down [ASOT RADIO CLASSIC]". Lately all the searches come up with numbers in front the file names and it's a bit annoying!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :D

The numbers in front of a song are there to order the playlist by original album order rather than normal windows alphanumeric sequence. You can always rename them after downloading them, but if you want to hear the album as it was produced, it's not a bad idea to keep them. Many players will display the mp3 tag data, not the file name, so at play time, you may not see the actual file name on your player play list. It depends on which product that you use.

Of course you can always make your own playlists, so it's not really critical to anything. I normally leave them there since I don't know the original order of the produced album, and since the uploader has done that work for me, I will take advantage of it.

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”