Transfer Window - refresh rate [resolved]

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
Zooky

Transfer Window - refresh rate [resolved]

Postby Zooky » Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 am

I *think* that the refresh rate for the Transfer Window is done on a Real Time basis. In some cases, particularly for debugging, I can see where Real Time is needed. However, I really have no need to see it refreshed that way.

Is it possible to set it to user needs? e.g. - I would normally set it to 5 secs. That's often enough to give me an overall fuzzy feeling that all's well. That would give valuable processor time to other tasks that I'm running. :?:
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

Scott1x

Re: Transfer Window - refresh rate

Postby Scott1x » Thu May 23, 2013 3:52 pm

I understand what you're saying about the refresh rate, but most programs simply go through a significant iteration and then issue a print or write command that ships the buffer to the system handler for the appropriate device. The system schedules the delivery of the packet to the actual hardware, and in the case of video, this is usually the video buffer which has it's own processor. There is actually minimal impact on the CPU.

It IS possible to delay shipping a buffer. Iteration counts are one way to do it, but since CPUs have different processing rates, that is not reliable. Event timers can be set, with the appropriate interrupt catchers, but now you are talking pain in the butt!

I suspect this is less of a problem than you think, and I prefer real time updating. If you check the CPU load of FrostWire, you'll note that it's not that bad. Squeezing out a few more percent really wouldn't make much of an impact.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 am

Scott1x wrote:I suspect this is less of a problem than you think, and I prefer real time updating. If you check the CPU load of FrostWire, you'll note that it's not that bad. Squeezing out a few more percent really wouldn't make much of an impact.

You prefer real time, I do not - hence, I'm asking if this can be user configurable.
I've been watching the CPU time consumed on my system, it runs about 25% - which is even higher than the System % which runs about 17%.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:45 pm

I hereby wish to delete this request. Reason: 5.6.0 is now consuming only 3% of my total processor. This more than acceptable.

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”