Where should the player go?

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
gubatron
Development Team

Where should the player go?

Postby gubatron » Fri May 03, 2013 11:29 am

Top or Bottom?

Also, should we get rid of the "Search" button on the top, and when focus on the search box you go to search? or will that be too confusing.
(we could use the space on the top)

Another suggestion would be, do we remove the text next to those buttons on the top and just keep the icons for search, library and community?
Attachments
FW_Chat.jpg
FW_Chat.jpg (217.92 KiB) Viewed 5831 times
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

gubatron
Development Team

Re: Where should the player go?

Postby gubatron » Fri May 03, 2013 12:24 pm

here's how the search tab is looking like. where should the media player go?
how can we save vertical space?
Attachments
FW_search_right_filter.jpg
FW_search_right_filter.jpg (411.94 KiB) Viewed 5792 times

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Sat May 04, 2013 9:52 am

gubatron wrote:here's how the search tab is looking like. where should the media player go?
how can we save vertical space?

So long as one of the main options of FW is to hide the media player I don't much care.

As for saving vertical space I think that the column widths shown are WAY too wide. I usually want to see more columns than you provide so I end up having to resize them anyway. It would be nice if to have more space on the page width that would simplify adding more columns.
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Sat May 04, 2013 9:55 am

btw - have been following all of the other page samples - WAY TO GO!
Is the total # of u/l's shown? (not just the KB total)

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat May 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Zooky wrote:btw - have been following all of the other page samples - WAY TO GO!
Is the total # of u/l's shown? (not just the KB total)

The problem with showing # of uploads is how do you define an upload. You will almost never give a complete copy to one person. 2000 people may get 1K from you representing 2Mb but how many up loads is that?

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Scott1x wrote:The problem with showing # of uploads is how do you define an upload. You will almost never give a complete copy to one person. 2000 people may get 1K from you representing 2Mb but how many up loads is that?

Since I limit the # of u/l's per torrent that is hardly a concern of mine.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat May 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Zooky wrote:
Scott1x wrote:The problem with showing # of uploads is how do you define an upload. You will almost never give a complete copy to one person. 2000 people may get 1K from you representing 2Mb but how many up loads is that?

Since I limit the # of u/l's per torrent that is hardly a concern of mine.

I do too, it's never worked. I can limit it to three and be connected to 20.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Sat May 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Scott1x wrote:I do too, it's never worked. I can limit it to three and be connected to 20.

Hmmm, it has always worked for me. I just retested - worked as expected. Perhaps we're expecting different results?

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Zooky wrote:
Scott1x wrote:I do too, it's never worked. I can limit it to three and be connected to 20.

Hmmm, it has always worked for me. I just retested - worked as expected. Perhaps we're expecting different results?

Maybe. When I set upload limit to 4 I expect to see no more than 4 connections.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon May 06, 2013 10:39 am

Scott1x wrote:Maybe. When I set upload limit to 4 I expect to see no more than 4 connections.

Interesting. I just set mine to 4, restarted FW and let it get a full load. The same amount of torrents that had been u/l'ng were back on, but the u/l KB's being u/l'd was drastically reduced. I put it back up to where I wanted it, restarted FW and the u/l KB's went back up to where they were before setting it to 4.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon May 06, 2013 10:44 am

Zooky wrote:
Scott1x wrote:Maybe. When I set upload limit to 4 I expect to see no more than 4 connections.

Interesting. I just set mine to 4, restarted FW and let it get a full load. The same amount of torrents that had been u/l'ng were back on, but the u/l KB's being u/l'd was drastically reduced. I put it back up to where I wanted it, restarted FW and the u/l KB's went back up to where they were before setting it to 4.

obtw - back to my original request - it was to have the # of torrents being u/l - e.g. if 11 of my 200+ torrents were being u/l'd I'd expect to see 11 in that counter, not how many connections were connected to them.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Mon May 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Zooky, I think we'll be able to address more details about the number of torrents seeding, number of actively seeding torrents, number of wi-fi sharing files in a better place as we move towards FrostWire 6.

We'll be releasing the UI updates in stages so that it's not too traumatic (and so that we actually have a chance to do it without waiting 6 months for a release)

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”