Download status viewing area

Got some cool new ideas or feature requests? We want to hear it!
gubatron
Development Team

Re: Download status viewing area

Postby gubatron » Wed May 01, 2013 8:13 pm

This is what we're working towards on this next release (this is a photoshop mockup)

We think newer users won't get lost, if you can imagine the interaction it goes from top to bottom, no need to jump around, and the UI now hints you that you got more results of all file types, right now you kind of have to guess.

Notice all the wide space now for transfers and search results.

That "More Options" on the top would show you the search filters
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 9.11.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-05-01 at 9.11.18 PM.png (254.14 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed May 01, 2013 8:48 pm

gubatron wrote:This is what we're working towards on this next release (this is a photoshop mockup)

We think newer users won't get lost, if you can imagine the interaction it goes from top to bottom, no need to jump around, and the UI now hints you that you got more results of all file types, right now you kind of have to guess.

Notice all the wide space now for transfers and search results.

That "More Options" on the top would show you the search filters

That does look like a cleaner interface. Most of the left side, now, I set once and don't need it again, unless I want to change it, which is not often. The search filter, when I search, is one of the more useful elements of FrostWire! That makes finding what you want, amidst a lot of clutter much easier!

More control over what is being displayed on the transfer screen would be nice too. It would be great to NOT see paused items. The are paused for a reason.

Looks like a much nicer interface. I'm looking forward to it!

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Wed May 01, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm also fighting to get rid of the buttons below the search results.

Stop - can be right on the Tab title, where we have an indefinite progress spinner, it'd be natural to stop the search up there if we're hinting that it's still on-going.
Details - it's the same as clicking on the "Source" links
Options - I think we can move it either on the header somewhere or somewhere on the status bar, so it's always visible (per request of the FTC)

Now, the big issue is that "Download" button, which is THE core functionality of FrostWire.

This download Button is the obvious way to start multiple downloads at once. An advanced user will select many files and press the Enter key, but a new user won't have a clue.

If we could put that Donwload button elsewhere, where would it be?

Why do you want to get rid of that Button Row?

The majority of FrostWire users have screens of up to 800 and 900 pixels, that button row takes valuable vertical real state, plus, too many buttons can be confusing, plus it looks like a freaking kitchen device with lots of knobs.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed May 01, 2013 9:53 pm

I don't mind buttons below the search results. The only time that window is open is when I'm searching. I don't use it, but I don't mind it being there. I normally use right button menus. DO NOT lose them!

On the transfer window, the bottom row buttons are useful, though that clear inactive is one I'd rather not be there. I lost most of torrents one day hitting that by accident. Normally, many of my torrents are paused, until I decide to actively seen them again. OUCH. That was worse than the options restore default button - another one that should have an "are you sure" query interaction!

Heading in a positive direction!

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 pm

the reason to get rid of the middle button row (don't worry about the bottom one) is basically lack of space for the media player.

Otherwise we're going to have to stuff it on the header, but it just doesn't make any sense up there, looks a lot better on the bottom, plus we can have a lot more functionality that we have planned for it with all that horizontal space.

Good tip on the "Are you sure" for clear inactive torrents.

On a further iteration, Transfers will have its own window, and we'll separate on-going and recent transfers from seeding transfers on 2 tabs.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed May 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Great suggestions! I'll be looking forward to it!

Return to “Desktop Feature Requests”