Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin

Hurrying a product out of production

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Hurrying a product out of production

Postby dhb66052 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:46 pm

I have never been compelled to post like I have this time. It seems like you hurried this last release out, talking 5.2.7 and then a day later 5.2.8 and a day after that 5.2.9 and it still isn't really right. Why do I say that you ask? The icons, none of them show on my end. I have Windows 7, running on an AMD quad core processor with 4 GB of RAM. Never had this issue before. Than add to that it used to show when you hit the Turbo connection, now you can't really tell so I just assume it has. Make them go that nice blue like before again, a visual clue is helpful. Then the last three installs have taken about 90 seconds to start showing any changes, about twice as long as before. And yes, I am not done...lol. 5.2.9 shows it is still 5.2.8 so as soon as you install it tells you that their is a newer version available and would you like to install it. I even went so far as to manually uninstall 5.2.8 and then install 5.2.9 clean, yes, you guessed it, it didn't help one bit.

You guys have always released a clean, slick and usually bug free upgrade but this time you missed the boat ALL over the place. I am hoping 5.3.0 raises you back up to your usual standards. Keep up the good work, I love the new choices...it has really made this a more well rounded and accessible product.

Dave Britt
dhb66052

Re: Hurrying a product out of production

Postby Only A Hobo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Hmm .. yes you may well have a point about some versions being hurried out. I'm not going to argue that one. ;)

On the subject of
5.2.9 shows it is still 5.2.8 so as soon as you install it tells you that their is a newer version available and would you like to install it. I even went so far as to manually uninstall 5.2.8 and then install 5.2.9 clean, yes, you guessed it, it didn't help one bit
This issue affected Windows users has been fixed and a fresh download of the 5.2.9 installer will solve that problem.

As for your point about icons. I wonder if you could possibly elaborate a bit and possibly post a screen shot. The turbo connection is a bit of a hangover from the old days, but simply is either on or off and is indicating whether Frostwire detects a network connection or not. It does not necessarily detect you have an internet connection. The developers have been in two minds whether to keep it. Are you saying you are unable to see the connection indicator at all?

From what you have said I am suspecting you may be running an old or slightly corrupted Java install, and I would suggest the first thing to do would be to make a full uninstall of Java, either through the Java site or using a program like Revo uninstaller and reinstalling the latest Java.

We do give this advice which may help:
Completely remove all traces of Java. To do this use Revo Uninstaller or a similar program since Windows uninstaller in the Control Panel fails to do the job thoroughly. Revo will locate additional related files which need to be removed.

Then install Java from HERE using the offline installer.

I hope that helps.
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support