Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin

Frostwire 5.0.8 Downloads Files I Have Not Selected

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Frostwire 5.0.8 Downloads Files I Have Not Selected

Postby brainiac8008 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:45 pm

I've downloaded a few songs from torrents using 5.0.8. If I select one song from a torrent file to download, Frostwire downloads the file I selected and two other files from the torrent that I didn't want. What's up with that? I'm on Windows 7 x64, Java 1.7.0.
brainiac8008

Re: Frostwire 5.0.8 Downloads Files I Have Not Selected

Postby Only A Hobo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:24 pm

The way torrents download is in chunks which are not necessarily, if ever, representative of the component files. It is therefore necessary to download some parts from other files before the download you want can be completed. It is likely that the two "other" files you have are not complete.

You may be wondering what will now happen to those segments and I am not sure to be honest and have a feeling the behaviour of Frostwire concerning them is different in Frostwire 5.0.9 which I am currently testing, and as yet is not ready to let lose on the public. In a few days it will be.

I hope this helps.
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Re: Frostwire 5.0.8 Downloads Files I Have Not Selected

Postby brainiac8008 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:49 pm

Thanks for your response. You are right, they are pieces of files, not entire songs. After playing around with it some more, I've found that the two extra files disappear after I "cancel" the torrent. It's weird though that Frostwire gives me the option to cancel the torrent after it has finished downloading, instead of "clear" like the older versions of Frostwire. May this be the source of the problem? Even though progress is at 100% and the status is "stopped", maybe Frostwire hasn't entirely recognized that the download is complete. Just a thought; hopefully it will be resolved in 5.0.9.
brainiac8008

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support