Question regarding translation

Creative and useful discussions about anything involving the world of peer-2-peer.
morpa

Question regarding translation

Postby morpa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:55 am

I'm currently translating frostwire to Swedish.
There are some items in the po file that i'm uncertain about if they should be translated or even in the po file at all.
It's the messages of this type:

#: /Users/gubatron/workspace.frostwire/frostwire/desktop/src/com/frostwire/gui/theme/BaseFileChooserUI.java:545
msgid "FileChooser.homeFolderToolTipText"

#: /Users/gubatron/workspace.frostwire/frostwire/desktop/src/com/frostwire/gui/theme/BaseFileChooserUI.java:546
msgid "FileChooser.homeFolderAccessibleName"

#: /Users/gubatron/workspace.frostwire/frostwire/desktop/src/com/frostwire/gui/theme/BaseFileChooserUI.java:548
msgid "FileChooser.newFolderToolTipText"

#: /Users/gubatron/workspace.frostwire/frostwire/desktop/src/com/frostwire/gui/theme/BaseFileChooserUI.java:549
msgid "FileChooser.newFolderAccessibleName"

#: /Users/gubatron/workspace.frostwire/frostwire/desktop/src/com/frostwire/gui/theme/BaseFileChooserUI.java:551
msgid "FileChooser.listViewButtonToolTipText"

and so on. Can anyone clarify on how/if the should be translated? Thanks.

alexm

Re: Question regarding translation

Postby alexm » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi!

Thank you for asking! No, you don't need to translate those strings!

morpa

Re: Question regarding translation

Postby morpa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks!!
To avoid confusion for future translators (or current also), can strings that aren't meant to be translated be excluded in the po files?
If you are using gettext for po files, it should be straightforward to do it - I think, I admit that I have only read about it:)

Return to “Open Discussion”