Does VPN offer virus protection?

Creative and useful discussions about anything involving the world of peer-2-peer.
angelaandrea

Does VPN offer virus protection?

Postby angelaandrea » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 am

I have been experiencing poor performance in my laptop and it often gives me warnings (my anti-virus). I guess there are viruses in my laptop but I don’t understand how there could be one as I always had anti-virus activated. Recently I went through VPN services and most of them said something about protection, Does VPN offer protection against Virus?

sonic_x

Re: Does VPN offer virus protection?

Postby sonic_x » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:59 pm

No. VPN provides security by encrypting and decrypting data that passes through a VPN connection; it does not offer protection from viruses.

As far as i know. you never know your vpn may offer virus software . when in doubt ask them :)

cheers
Sonic_X
Thanks for supporting Frostwire! Sharing is caring :wink: Come join us on slack !

meryalpes

Postby meryalpes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:07 pm

VPN is what people think that it is used for bypassing proxies only but more ever VPN also used for Protection from Viruses, Make your internet speed faster, Prevent your online identity as well. I have found very useful link https://www.reviewsdir.com/blog/fastest-vpn-services/ about making your internet speed faster and for better browsing.

sonic_x

Postby sonic_x » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:25 pm

meryalpes wrote:VPN is what people think that it is used for bypassing proxies only but more ever VPN also used for Protection from Viruses, Make your internet speed faster, Prevent your online identity as well. I have found very useful link https://www.reviewsdir.com/blog/fastest-vpn-services/ about making your internet speed faster and for better browsing.

If you click the URL. and read into the article. Rank # 1 is Express VPN. which is Approved and Recommended by the Frostwire Team

cheers
sonic_X :D
Thanks for supporting Frostwire! Sharing is caring :wink: Come join us on slack !

JimForense

Postby JimForense » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:54 am

I would recommend checking into your Anti virus software itself.
As i know a lot of software out there offer false positives, or miss categorise a tracking cookie as something more severe than it actually is.

I've been using AVG for years and since switching from things like Norton or the more higher established brands have experienced a hell of a lot less problems when it comes to virus pop's or overall interference when your trying to download or play games.

peterkendrick

Postby peterkendrick » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:44 am

Downloading an unsafe file prone to viruses, over p2p, might potentially install rootkits, malwares, or viruses. Antivirus provides you the system level security to scan and remove viruses from your local PC.

While a VPN (Virtual Private Network), provides you protection from hackers at networking level, so that you are anonymous and untraceable while torrenting or visiting websites. It also provides bypassing geo-restrictions or blockage, might I say where p2p programs are banned.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." -Nelson Mandela

KettyMitchels

Postby KettyMitchels » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Not really. VPN definately provides you security against network eavesdropping but, it does not offer security against other Internet threats. The core purpose of Virtual Private Network is to secure your privacy and hide your online identity.

If you are specific to FrostWire than they officially recommend ExpressVPN. FrostWire team has written an excellent blog about why you need VPN which provides you better idea about what actually VPN offer.

peterbuttler

Postby peterbuttler » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 am

The measure reason of developing a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to stop malware attacks and data snoopers which come through the internet. Many system antivirus software have limited features they cannot detect the virus through emails and other channels. So I consider VPN as the best software for security and privacy.

sonic_x

Postby sonic_x » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:06 am

When in doubt email or call vpn provider and they will let you know if they offer that service .

Cheers
Sonic_X

Return to “Open Discussion”