STICKY: Solving the Problem of Blocked Index Sites

Creative and useful discussions about anything involving the world of peer-2-peer.
Scott1x

STICKY: Solving the Problem of Blocked Index Sites

Postby Scott1x » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:53 am

With index sites being blocked at the ISP level, (see this article for more details: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22317 ) it's necessary to take some extra steps to continue to be able to find torrents to download. FrostWire has a built in search facility, but if that site is blocked at the ISP level, FrostWire cannot access it. You can either use your browser to search an unblocked engine or use a proxy or VPN.

If you use your browser to access an unblocked site, find the item you want and click on the Torrent or Magnet link button. For torrents, different sites use different symbols for torrent data, but usually, if you hover over it, you get an indication. Just download the torrent to your desktop or let it start FrostWire, which ever you choose.

Clicking on that symbol should start a FrostWire session and begin downloading the selected item.

The better option is to use a VPN. A VPN establishes a secure tunnel and routes you through a secure server, that may be anywhere in the world, bypassing regional restrictions, and masking your IP identity. The VPN I use: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/PIAReview.html

There are many good ones and this is well worth a read! http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-th ... on-130302/

colin7616

Re: STICKY: Solving the Problem of Blocked Index Sites

Postby colin7616 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Scott1x,are these vpn free or do we have to pay for them.being in the uk I prefer if I have to pay via paypal.i have found 2 reliable sites&i download to my downloads folder the small torrent&you can scan it with your anti virus.i have open frostwire&just drag it across.this works for me al lthe time.i do get annoved if you download in frostwire &at the end get you need codecs to plays this&an example, to stop this file being deleted or copywrighted,our team placed it in an advanced format&you need the right codec to play it.what an annoyance.wmv files I bewere of them..colin

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:29 pm

colin7616 wrote:Scott1x,are these vpn free or do we have to pay for them.being in the uk I prefer if I have to pay via paypal.i have found 2 reliable sites&i download to my downloads folder the small torrent&you can scan it with your anti virus.i have open frostwire&just drag it across.this works for me al lthe time.i do get annoved if you download in frostwire &at the end get you need codecs to plays this&an example, to stop this file being deleted or copywrighted,our team placed it in an advanced format&you need the right codec to play it.what an annoyance.wmv files I bewere of them..colin

If you need codecs you are probably being scammed. VLC will play anything I've ever downloaded and there is NO WAY I'd consider adding a codec to my machine. I don't pay scammers. Additionally, their codec will probably be a virus. DON'T do it. If you can check reviews, do that. Otherwise, just delete it and try a different torrent.

Yes, I DO pay for my VPN. The cost is minimal and less than 3% of my internet bill. An expense I consider well worth the outlay.

These are free:
http://www.winamp.com/
http://www.videolan.org/

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:20 pm

for those who like to follow the source code, here's the branch I've created with what I call a "Domain Alias Manager" system for the "Web Search Performers".
https://github.com/frostwire/frostwire- ... its/dproxy

hopefully this code will serve as a general purpose solution not only for FrostWire but for other projects that need to deal with unreliable/blocked servers and alias ip addresses. work in progress which will evolve with each release.

the idea is to have a first basic version to solve the problem at hand as quickly as possible and then make it more sophisticated and resilient to failure/censorship.
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

colin7616

Postby colin7616 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 am

gubatron,i am new to this world of torrents so I am not sure what you are saying.at present my isp has blocked 95%of the sites&for me 1 can get 3 genuine not at present blocked sites,i was told I would need a vpn or a proxy I am not sure what frostwire can do to solve this only I expect give advice.colin

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:47 am

colin7616 wrote:gubatron,i am new to this world of torrents so I am not sure what you are saying.at present my isp has blocked 95%of the sites&for me 1 can get 3 genuine not at present blocked sites,i was told I would need a vpn or a proxy I am not sure what frostwire can do to solve this only I expect give advice.colin

In some cases, FW could access the sites via an unblocked alias, but they have to be obtained and coded for. It could be table driven, but that sort of thing must be planned and properly implemented. Many feel that such blockages are illegal and violate international agreements, but legal means nothing when there are profits at stake.

Hopefully, such changes can be implemented.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Scott1x wrote: Many feel that such blockages are illegal and violate international agreements, but legal means nothing when there are profits at stake.

Gad, here we go - !AGAIN!?!??.

Signed: a Limewire survivor
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Zooky wrote:
Scott1x wrote: Many feel that such blockages are illegal and violate international agreements, but legal means nothing when there are profits at stake.

Gad, here we go - !AGAIN!?!??.

Signed: a Limewire survivor

Not AGAIN - STILL!

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Update:

We've released an update that fixes youtube search issues for users worldwide, this should include UK as youtube is hopefully not blocked there.

On Mac, we're still dealing with building and signing a binary that's compatible with as many Mac OSX versions as possible. We have some binary incompatibilities between the old fwplayer_osx binary (the audio/video player binary based on mplayer that we use) and the new signing tool on Mavericks. We recompiled the player, it signed perfectly, but it's not working with older versions of macosx, so we're figuring this out in the meantime.

colin7616

Postby colin7616 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:45 am

can I congradulate the frostwire team for the new 5.6.8 upgrade.although in the uk most sites are blocked the new torlock download facility for me brilliant.the new upgrade does seem faster aswell.untill I readup on vpns&proxys I am happy to stick with what I have got.3 at the moment trustworthy sites.when they go they go.colin ps worse things are happening in the world.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:35 pm

colin7616

Postby colin7616 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:54 am

gubatron,the frostwire team have designed the new upgrade very well.i tried an experiment downloaded a torrent &dragged it into the new frostwire&had another torrent client.frostwire 5.6.8 downloaded very quickly&the other torrent client said 7hrs.so the new frostwire for me very fast&thankyou for torlock as good as the lost extratorrent which is blocked in the uk.colin

Paddypower101

Postby Paddypower101 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Bit the bullet and decided to pay for a vpn (as UK ISP's have now started to block streaming sites too...feckin b*stards!!).....and so far...so good :)

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Paddypower101 wrote:Bit the bullet and decided to pay for a vpn (as UK ISP's have now started to block streaming sites too...feckin b*stards!!).....and so far...so good :)

Good deal! You may see an increase in line speed too. That can be an additional benefit if your ISP engages in traffic shaping ,and most of them do.

Paddypower101

Postby Paddypower101 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Well it was all down to your advice....ta very much :)

Return to “Open Discussion”