What's A VPN - Windows VPN

Creative and useful discussions about anything involving the world of peer-2-peer.
Scott1x

Re: What's A VPN - Windows VPN

Postby Scott1x » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:35 pm

sofNoilihom wrote:I couldn't help noticing that lots of people on webforums have a difficult time picking a VPN service suitable for their needs so i decided to make a small topic about the  best windows vpn available on the market .
Yes , i know , [url="http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/"]torrentfreak.com[/url] already released an article about the anonymity provided by most of the VPN providers but i thought  i could write something about this topic too.

First of all , let's answer the question
[center]"What's a VPN ?"[/center]

VPN stands for virtual private network . Essentially a VPN is a private computer network that uses the Internet to connect remote sites or users together . It provides security so that traffic sent through the VPN connection stays isolated from other computers. VPNs enable file sharing, video conferencing and similar network services. Virtual private networks generally don't provide any new functionality that isn't already offered through alternative mechanisms, but a VPN implements those services more efficiently / cheaply in most cases.

Tech newb : It keeps you safe while surfing the internet by hiding your real ip adress :).
There is no add campaign involved ;) promise.

Rather than delete this as spam, I'm going to reply by saying that Hide My Ass is NOT a vpn for true security. They will respond to almost any "legitimate" request for identity disclosure. It will secure, to a degree, the contents of your transmission, but they will rat you out. THEY DO RAT their clients out. Frequently.

Read this and take it to heart! https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-prov ... ly-111007/
Check this: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/PIAReview.html
http://catfangz.com/frostwire/Bsec.html

Don't make the mistake other's have an NOT read the fine print.

alex04

Postby alex04 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:21 pm

There are now new services that come to the market and It’s worth considering PirateRay.com just for the topic of this article at minimum.
Many of the above – mentioned services in Torrentfreak's article don’t protect or anonymize the channel that is going from user’s PC to their servers, anyone can take it, either admin, or ISP, or sniffer in public net, where you are using your laptop.
With Pirateray you are fully protected, because after installing a simple program a secure and encrypted tunnel will appear from your PC to external servers. This way if even somebody will catch the traffic, he can do nothing with it because the channel is encrypted. Also unlike other services, besides regular servers Pirateray has servers with dynamic migrating IP, which doesn’t allow to blacklist these IPs and therefore limit users for this reason.
So PirateRay comes with a well-protected server for anonymous surfing in the internet or in torrent networks.
Thanks to this development, it is also recommended to use the service in any open or unsafe networks, since data from your PC go as encrypted , no one can catch your passwords, personal or payment information.
The service can be also used with any other program like Skype, or to access blocked websites in a local network.
All this together with an excellent tech support, the most affordable price and good quality makes a very useful and advantageous service for users in all respects.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Your information is WAY off. It is interesting the you are attempting to indicate errors in torrentfreak articles. They were very precise and accurate. I'm doubting that you actually READ the articles.

alex04 wrote:There are now new services that come to the market and It’s worth considering PirateRay.com just for the topic of this article at minimum.
Many of the above – mentioned services in Torrentfreak's article don’t protect or anonymize the channel that is going from user’s PC to their servers, anyone can take it, either admin, or ISP, or sniffer in public net, where you are using your laptop.

Totally false. Many proxies can leak, but open VPN is very tight. Your ISP CAN see that you are in a secure tunnel to a VPN sever, but they cannot see the nature of that traffic or the final destination, not can they tell that incoming traffic is comiming from anywhere other than the VPN server, and they cannot read the traffic.

alex04 wrote:With Pirateray you are fully protected, because after installing a simple program a secure and encrypted tunnel will appear from your PC to external servers. This way if even somebody will catch the traffic, he can do nothing with it because the channel is encrypted. Also unlike other services, besides regular servers Pirateray has servers with dynamic migrating IP, which doesn’t allow to blacklist these IPs and therefore limit users for this reason.
So PirateRay comes with a well-protected server for anonymous surfing in the internet or in torrent networks.
Thanks to this development, it is also recommended to use the service in any open or unsafe networks, since data from your PC go as encrypted , no one can catch your passwords, personal or payment information.
The service can be also used with any other program like Skype, or to access blocked websites in a local network.
All this together with an excellent tech support, the most affordable price and good quality makes a very useful and advantageous service for users in all respects.

I'm not sure all of the above is accurate. I read the faq and did find this:
Q: Is it possible to encrypt all web traffic, besides torrent protocols?

A:Yes, it is possible. Usually, only torrent traffic is encrypted. But you also have an option to access any torrent site anonymously and hide IP when surfing the net.

That sure makes it appear that special actions are required for more complete coverage. PirateRay is one of the sites that I rejected for my uses. I a NOT interested in the VPN only for torrent use but for many other reasons. PirateRay may fill the needs of many, and they have a very good price! I'm still not sure if PirateRay can encrypt ALL ports and activities. If I were still in the market, I may contact them, though my monthly fee for PIA is less.

They seem solid and could be the solution for many. I won't knock them.

There is no need to provide false information on this forum. It will be discovered analyzed, and if you continue you will be banned.

For the moment, I'm just going to assume that you are ignorant. Hint to the wise: Don't get into a pissing contest with an admin.

pattinson1234

Postby pattinson1234 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:52 am

Such a very nice topic here i am finding many things about windows vpn what is vpn and i get the Such a great website and if i am not wrong this site is sea of information in vpn industry so you want to get a information and increase your knowledge about Windows VPN Here

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 am

pattinson1234 wrote:Such a very nice topic here i am finding many things about windows vpn what is vpn and i get the Such a great website and if i am not wrong this site is sea of information in vpn industry so you want to get a information and increase your knowledge about Windows VPN Here

As is my policy with VPN postings, I have reviewed the data presented and this site does provide some useful information. The listed ranking are probably by usage, which is an indicator of advertising rather than true utility.

As usual, before selecting a VPN DO your homework, read the TOS, check third party reviews, and choose wisely.

I consider VPN postings FrostWire related, because of traffic shaping, bogus take down notices, and consider a VPN an essential aspect of general internet security, whether you download anything or not!

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:18 pm

hi guys, so the people from bestvpnservice.com are asking us to remove links to their website from our forum because supposedly our forum as "unnatural links" there, including somewhere on this thread. What should we do about this?

They want us to remove links from the following threads, are the links from spammers or are they genuine recommendations to their page?

There are links to my site on the following page(s):
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14220
viewtopic.php?p=46658
viewtopic.php?p=49510

why would they claim that our links are unnatural and causing them any harm, isn't Google's Page Rank all about having more links coming in to your site?
this forum is not a content farm, it's legitimate user generated conversation.

what do we do?
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:25 pm

The ones about HMA I'd consider border line spam and have NO problem removing them. I DO NOT recommend HMA, nor would I use it, and it really doesn't serve the forum well.

I'd say remove them.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:28 pm

PS.. I did say there were NOT a VPN for true security. The do provide redirection that can get around local blocks, but they will give you ID to almost anyone asking for it.

If that's harming them then they can't handle the truth, because that is documented fact.

Wiifire

Postby Wiifire » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:30 pm

everythng you have to know and to do after you can read here
check it out
it is worth it trust me

www.vpncomparison.org

laurenaria

Postby laurenaria » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 am

its a very healthy discussion over here regarding vpn. All looks beauty, however what vpn will you suggest for windows10 according to vpnranks means explain with their priorities.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:27 pm

laurenaria wrote:its a very healthy discussion over here regarding vpn. All looks beauty, however what vpn will you suggest for windows10 according to vpnranks means explain with their priorities.

The concerns associated with Win10 are the same as for any other operating system product.
I would suggest that you read this.
https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn- ... 15-150228/

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:49 pm

We're (FrostWire Team) currently recommending ExpressVPN, tested with FrostWire.

frankbillson

Postby frankbillson » Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 am

A couple of days ago I have read a blog post at Lifehacker Australia about the best VPNs in the world they have mention Express VPN and Ivacy VPN. Also, I have read very serious allegation about Express in terms of logs. If anyone has true information so please share with me but it is a very critical problem and some of my friends recommend me to use Express VPN but after reading this kind of statement we all are confused and looking for another VPN provider in which we are thinking about Ivacy, Also people are recommending because it never keep logs.

Please share your suggestions so that I and my friends can easily select a better VPN provider.

gubatron
Development Team

Postby gubatron » Fri May 20, 2016 10:28 pm

We recommend both PIA and Express VPN, we've not heard of any allegations of logs, perhaps it was a competitor trying to put dirt on them.

peterkendrick

Postby peterkendrick » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:35 am

The whole concept of PirateRay and its description seems shady. I suppose it to be just a proxy server which 79% out of 100% times doesn't allow HTTPs traffic and leak your original IP. Also, they modify the HTML or Javascripts of targeting website to show ads. While, on the other hand VPN is an highly invested encrypted private network virtually which gives you complete anonymity & security (unless, you do such high profile activities that people come looking for you). To put it simply VPN is like a building with one entry and multiple exits and your ISPs have no idea which route you took and which way did you exit.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." -Nelson Mandela

Return to “Open Discussion”