- Enable Windows Automatic Updates - Microsoft will supply you with updates. Updates such as security. You should always keep your system up to date or you system will be more vulnerable than others and you will experience more problems than if you had the updates.
- Anti-Virus - One of these programs are essential. You want an anti virus which is scanning constantly. Some anti viruses only scan and remove files when told to. You also want to make sure it's always up to date. This will make your system more secure as new virus definitions are being added to the database. Only run one anti virus program. Running two or more may make your system insecure as they will override each other.
- Firewall - A firewall is vital to your computer system. It will help monitor your inbound and outbound connections. Some will also block suspicious connections from a suspicious file. Use this like an anti virus, don't have two or more running as they will conflict with each other.
- Antispyware - Some anti viruses may have this built in to them. I'll give you some downloads at the bottom of this thread on some anti spyware programs.
- Sandboxing - If you download a file, and comes across clean, but you are still suspicious - it could be crypted to make you and your anti virus think that. You can run the file in question with a sandbox which means that it will run but in through a program, it won't modify any of your system files.
- Online virus scanning - This can be vital to keeping your system safe. The virus program you use may not have the virus in the database so it may come across clean, that's when you upload it to an online scanner, which it will scan through multiple anti-viruses and anti-spywares.
Paid / Free Trial
All the online scanners are Free
If you want anything added, want me to change anything, or have any questions, feel free to post them.