STICKY: Keeping yourself safe online

Creative and useful discussions about anything involving the world of peer-2-peer.
Nathann

STICKY: Keeping yourself safe online

Postby Nathann » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Malware is malicious software. Some Malware will only touch your system lightly, and some will heavily. I sometimes deal with people with a simple adware (Advertisements) and it leaves them with a redirect, which is normally just editing your hosts file. Then, some files/programs, whatever you want to call them, can disable your task manager, registry editor, can modify your registry, and can even disable the explorer. I dealt with one of those the other day. Keeping yourself safe online is essential to. Do you want ads popping up all the time? Do you want people to watch what you do and control your computer? Do you want all your passwords stolen and changed? This is what malware can do.

• Enable Windows Automatic Updates - Microsoft will supply you with updates. Updates such as security. You should always keep your system up to date or you system will be more vulnerable than others and you will experience more problems than if you had the updates.
    --
  • Anti-Virus - One of these programs are essential. You want an anti virus which is scanning constantly. Some anti viruses only scan and remove files when told to. You also want to make sure it's always up to date. This will make your system more secure as new virus definitions are being added to the database. Only run one anti virus program. Running two or more may make your system insecure as they will override each other.
    --
  • Firewall - A firewall is vital to your computer system. It will help monitor your inbound and outbound connections. Some will also block suspicious connections from a suspicious file. Use this like an anti virus, don't have two or more running as they will conflict with each other.
    --
  • Antispyware - Some anti viruses may have this built in to them. I'll give you some downloads at the bottom of this thread on some anti spyware programs.
    --
  • Sandboxing - If you download a file, and comes across clean, but you are still suspicious - it could be crypted to make you and your anti virus think that. You can run the file in question with a sandbox which means that it will run but in through a program, it won't modify any of your system files.
    --
  • Online virus scanning - This can be vital to keeping your system safe. The virus program you use may not have the virus in the database so it may come across clean, that's when you upload it to an online scanner, which it will scan through multiple anti-viruses and anti-spywares.

Color key:
    Paid
    Paid / Free Trial
    Free
    All the online scanners are Free

Links

If you want anything added, want me to change anything, or have any questions, feel free to post them.
Last edited by Nathann on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter!
@w8i

The_Fox

Re: Keeping yourself safe online

Postby The_Fox » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:28 am

SUPERAntiSpyware.com one of the best I've used. I always suggest it

Nathann

Postby Nathann » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:06 am

The_Fox wrote:SUPERAntiSpyware.com one of the best I've used. I always suggest it

Added.. thanks :)
Follow me on Twitter!
@w8i

blogmybrain

Postby blogmybrain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for sharing the post these are really good tips for everyone who want to save their computers form harmful things.

christin

Postby christin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:36 am

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. :mrgreen:
Success covers a multitude of blunders .

crisoli88

Postby crisoli88 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:28 am

christin wrote:I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. :mrgreen:

i agree...

johnwood

Re: STICKY: Keeping yourself safe online

Postby johnwood » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm

I think the points are so essential and significant in order to save our system from dangerous and harmful effects. Thanks

sonic_x

Postby sonic_x » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Free 5 Antivirus Software for 2016 (March)

The good thing about having a free product from one of the leading Internet Security (IS) companies is that they use the same AV engine as in their commercial products. What you get in the stripped down versions is a smaller feature set. Few include spam filtering, improved firewalls or parental controls.

The free offerings from Avast, AVG, Avira, Bitdefender and Panda all fit this bill, yet all offer basic antivirus and anti-malware protection, giving you a good chance to keep your PC free of threats which could lose you data and take a lot of time to put right.

Here's the top 5 free antivirus rated for 2016

1. Avira Free Antivirus

Overall, this is one of the best free AV applications you’re going to find. With perfect scores from AV-Test, a good range of facilities for a zero-cost suite and a well-designed interface which is easy to use and direct, Avira Free Antivirus is a great choice to protect your PCs.

2. BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition 2016

BitDefender Free Edition will suit a certain kind of user, one who just wants to install the software and let it do its job, without recourse to setup changes or manually scans. Since it has such a high protection score, it’s safe to do this, but if you prefer to have more hands-on control, you may find this approach frustrating.

3. Panda Free Antivirus 2016

Panda is one of the leading antivirus providers and this free offering includes a couple of interesting extras. We were surprised at the time it took for both the initial and follow-up test scans, but its protection levels are sound and it’s very easy software to set up and forget.

4. AVG Free Antivirus 2016

AVG Free continues to be one of the best free antivirus programs you can download. It offers a good selection of key protections, though you do have to be careful to install the right product.

5. Avast Free Antivirus 2015

Avast Free Antivirus 2015 is one of the best free security products you can install. It offers a surprising range of free goodies, including application and browser app analysis and, separately, an excellent Android suite, covering AV and anti-theft. A better than average AV-Test rating completes a very impressive picture.
Thanks for supporting Frostwire! Sharing is caring :wink: Come join us on slack !

jackluter

Postby jackluter » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:21 am

More helpful information in securing the data and best wording on anti-virus.

sonic_x

Postby sonic_x » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Keeping it simple really

1. Have a antivirus installed and updated to latest definitions

2. Do a routine pc scan of your computer . Schedule it when you sleeping or at work or when ever you don't use it

3. Make sure you create a system restore point / back up of yor computer . It comes in handy when you mess it up and you can recovery it from a state is was good

4. Install and run a malware software

5. Do not download or open unknown files

Cheers
Sonic_X
Thanks for supporting Frostwire! Sharing is caring :wink: Come join us on slack !

Horrow1

Postby Horrow1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:05 am

Great piece! Thanks for sharing.

However, for protection program on my pc, I use Esset products.

graceinc

Postby graceinc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:23 am

Good share, although i use kaspersky for malware protection. And quite satisfied with it.

Horrow1

Postby Horrow1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:15 am

graceinc wrote:Good share, although i use kaspersky for malware protection. And quite satisfied with it.

Kaspersky is also legit. Good protection program!

Return to “Open Discussion”