STICKY: What is a torrent?

Creative and useful discussions about anything involving the world of peer-2-peer.
Scott1x

STICKY: What is a torrent?

Postby Scott1x » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:59 pm

FrostWire 5 utilizes torrents to accomplish peer to peer file sharing. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what a torrent is and how it is used. First, let's consider how files are organized and accessed. Any file can be considered as a string of characters, starting at one and going to the end of the file. In most files systems, data can be read and written to a specific point in the file by using the character number, which can be expressed in many ways, but that's not your problem. If you want character 10, ask the file system to give you character 10, and you don't care how that happened.

You can think of torrents as two basic types: File torrents and Folder torrents. A file torrent names one file and only one file. If you wanted to obtain an album of 20 songs, you'd have to use 20 different torrents, if you used file torrents.

A folder torrent describes all of the data in a folder, which can include sub-folders. If an album of 20 songs is contained in one folder, that one torrent will allow you to obtain that entire album. Some torrents can contain a primary folder containing sub-folders, each containing many files. Torrents containing over a thousand files are NOT uncommon.

Even with a folder torrent, there is provision to select specific files and exclude others from the download process. This can vary from program to program. For FrostWire, its fairly easy and covered in many help articles.

The key is that a torrent is NOT the data that you want. It is a description of the data you want. Torrents are created by torrent programs. They organized the data into chunks and provide a data map of the file structure, based on those chunks, so that data matching the torrent description can be read and written, randomly, from the disk.

Because the data can be read and written randomly you can send to and receive from multiple people at one time. This means that the data describe by a torrent MUST be and remain unchanged on the disk, once the torrent is made. If the data is changed, it will invalidate the torrent and cause errors, which the system will catch and attempt to deal with, usually by disabling the offending torrent.

Each torrent can be identified by a unique hash total of the data layout. The hash description is not so large as to be difficult to handle, but is large enough to make generation of the same hash from different data almost impossible.

The hash is considered a unique identifier for each torrent and is the mechanism that torrent programs use to exchange information about who has what torrent.

Here are some facts.
A torrent contains NO data from the files it describes. It only contains a mapping of the way the data is organized on disk.

A torrent has NO information about who has the file described. If someone decides to share files from a torrent, the torrent program will advertise the hash, and those looking for that file will be so informed.

blogmybrain

Re: What is a torrent?

Postby blogmybrain » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:00 am

Torrent is a peer to peer system in which you can search and download your utility product form different product. But I am confuse about its legal or illegal point.
Last edited by THX1138 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam signature removed..

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 am

blogmybrain wrote:Torrent is a peer to peer system in which you can search and download your utility product form different product. But I am confuse about its legal or illegal point.

A couple of things: A torrent is NOT a peer to peer system. A torrent is a collection of data that describes the layout of data to be shared and contains information that allows a peer to peer system to exchange that data.

As for legality, if you are sharing data that YOU own, it is perfectly legal. If you are sharing data that is public domain, it is legal. If you are sharing copyright data that you have permission to distribute, it's legal. If you are sharing copyright data that you do not have rights to, it is ILLEGAL!

Since copyright law varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, that can become a tangled web. In that area, you do what you feel is legal, or that you can get away with OR simply don't!!!!!

Life is never simple

johnw2738

Postby johnw2738 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks a lot , i am a computer science student and i was going to give a presentation on Torrents topic, this thread is really helpful for me to get marks in my subject Data Communication & Computer Networks.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:17 am

johnw2738 wrote:Thanks a lot , i am a computer science student and i was going to give a presentation on Torrents topic, this thread is really helpful for me to get marks in my subject Data Communication & Computer Networks.

You might find my web pages of use: http://catfangz.com/frostwire and thank you for the kind comments.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:02 pm

jacksdosen wrote:A torrent is the software for downloading the movies from the Internet on your computer. It is very useful software to download any content on your PC by the Internet.

A torrent is not software. There are many explanations of what a torrent is on this board. Your explanation is what a torrent isn't.

That is misinformation.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:22 pm

This wiki link actually gives a fairly clear definition of what a torrent is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrent_file

glenndench

Postby glenndench » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:58 pm

thank for the info...
Last edited by glenndench on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 pm

ajimmyadams wrote:A torrent is the software for downloading the movies from the Internet on your computer.i am using this daily and watching latest movies!

That is what a torrent isn't. A torrent is NOT software. A torrent is a data file that provides information for a BitTorrent program to be able to download data from other users. Check the links above to actually learn something before proving invalid information.

Speedwagon10

Why is FW 5 soooo slow

Postby Speedwagon10 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:42 am

Whenever I attempt to download a torrent using FW 5.3.7, it either takes over 20 minutes or causes FW to crash. I never had these issues when FW was P2P. My downloading experience has turned into a nightmare with the switch to the torrent based system. Does not FW download the torrent directly to it's library or does it take me to a web site where the torrent is housed? I hate when I am directed to a website I'm not sure I can trust. It never bothered me that I had to download individual files in order to obtain the music I wanted. Now I can't seem to successfully download anything. The other issue I have is that 90% of the websites FW sends me to seem to want to install their own software on my PC (no way am I allowing that) before I can download the files or they have a dozen links (none of which is clearly identified as the correct link) for me to choose from. Again, this was never an issue with Gnutella systems.

Scott1x

Re: Why is FW 5 soooo slow

Postby Scott1x » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:57 am

Scott1x wrote:
Speedwagon10 wrote:Whenever I attempt to download a torrent using FW 5.3.7, it either takes over 20 minutes or causes FW to crash. I never had these issues when FW was P2P. My downloading experience has turned into a nightmare with the switch to the torrent based system.

Right now, FW is a true P2P system. If you are having problem, since most arent, there is a software/hardware issue that is impacting performance.
Speedwagon10 wrote: Does not FW download the torrent directly to it's library or does it take me to a web site where the torrent is housed? I hate when I am directed to a website I'm not sure I can trust.

There is an option that you can turn on that will bring up the index site that you select a torrent or magnet from, but that can be turned off if you don't like it. You already are downloading the torrent OR obtaining the magnet from that site.

FrostWire downloads from the PERSON who has the data, not a central site or a web site.
Speedwagon10 wrote: It never bothered me that I had to download individual files in order to obtain the music I wanted. Now I can't seem to successfully download anything.

You can still do that if you so desire, though I have no idea why you'd want to. There are time when I want a single item from a torrent and that's what I select. You could do the same!
Speedwagon10 wrote:The other issue I have is that 90% of the websites FW sends me to seem to want to install their own software on my PC (no way am I allowing that) before I can download the files or they have a dozen links (none of which is clearly identified as the correct link) for me to choose from. Again, this was never an issue with Gnutella systems.

FrostWire ONLY accesses index sites if you so elect.
Tools>Options>basic>Torrent Details Page: remove check in the check box.
It does NOT send you to websites that want to install software. It sounds like you have a hacked version of FrostWire or that your computer has malware.I DO strongly recomment a malware check.

Now, in general:
The basic check list for FrostWire problems include:
DO check java, the fire wall, and any security programs you may have running.

Having done that, take some time to read my help pages (link below) to get some basic understand on how torrents work and how to use them effectively.

Umka

Postby Umka » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 am

What about creating a small top of the best torrents ever? Just for people to know and to share?

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:50 am

Umka wrote:What about creating a small top of the best torrents ever? Just for people to know and to share?

Click on the top window - the one under the chat button, to bring up http://www.frostclick.com/wp/

charlesDean

Re: STICKY: What is a torrent?

Postby charlesDean » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:47 am

Hello friends,
Torrent networking debuted in 2001. A Python-language programmer, Bram Cohen, created the technology with the intent to share it with everyone. And indeed, its popularity has taken off since 2005. The torrent community has now grown to millions of users worldwide in 2009. Because torrents strive to screen out dummy and corrupt files, are mostly free of adware/spyware, and achieve amazing download speeds, torrent popularity is still growing fast. By straight gigabytes of bandwidth used, bittorrent networking is the most popular activity on the Internet today.

sonic_x

Re: STICKY: What is a torrent?

Postby sonic_x » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:09 pm

What is a torrent? More info

The Bittorrent specification details the metainfo that are included in torrent files:

--announce - Lists at least one tracker url
--info name - Suggested name for the file or directory
--info piece - Files are split into fixed size pieces, and this defines the number of bytes of each piece.
--info pieces - A hash list
--info length - The length of the file
--info files path - A list of strings of subdirectory names and file names
--info files length - The actual file size in bytes

When you download a torrent file and add it to a downloader such as frostwire several things happen in the background. The Bittorrent client tries to establish a connection to the tracker to receive a list of peers that are currently transferring pieces of the file. This can be users who are downloading the files associated with the torrent currently, or seeders who already have downloaded the complete data and are now making it available to all downloaders. The speed usually improves with popularity of a download.
Thanks for supporting Frostwire! Sharing is caring :wink: Come join us on slack !

Return to “Open Discussion”