STICKY: Why I'm using FrostWire 5

Creative and useful discussions about anything involving the world of peer-2-peer.
Scott1x

STICKY: Why I'm using FrostWire 5

Postby Scott1x » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:17 pm

There are a lot of torrent programs out there and I've used many of them. So, why am I using FrostWire? It is relatively new and under development. It lacks some of the bells and whistles that I'd like to see, but, very simply, it is my primary torrent program, now.

The program that I used to keep going back to, finally ungraded itself into oblivion. The latest release blows!!!! The forum for that product is hosted and moderated by total autocrats and egomaniacs. Most requests for help get an arrogant RTFM followed by a link that is far less than helpful. In fact, every one of those responses I got, I had read the Rd the Fing M and it had not helped. THAT'S why I was on the freaking board to start with. Don't insult my intelligence with your ignorance is a message their mods did not get!

Have you noticed that when you post and ask a question, here, someone actually tries to help you without trying to make you feel stupid or belittle you? Have you noticed that reported errors get fixed?

The fact that there are indexing sites that offer reviews and user comments about torrents is valuable is suppressing bad data and virus loaded torrents. Sometimes you may want to check some of those reviews before you start a long, complicated download. It can be worth the effort.

To the developers: You don't have the absolutely best product out there – YET! But your sure do have some of the best support going and a very decent product for being so new. It works!!!! It works well enough to have replaced the other ones. Keep up the good work.

Those of you interested in some of the torrent buzz may find these of interest:
http://thepiratebay.org/blog/175 About DHT and PEXs
http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrents-fut ... ed-091120/ More about DHT and PEX
http://torrentfreak.com/frostwire-kills ... nt-110627/ Gnutella bye bye
http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay- ... es-111130/ Censorship is real

lexybam

Re: Why I'm using FrostWire 5

Postby lexybam » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:16 am

I have been planning to switch to using frostWire, but I need some good recommendations before I can start using it.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 pm

What sort of recommendation are you looking for? I'd recommend learning about what a torrent is and how it works. Know that, you can make intelligent decisions on how to make it work the way you want it to work.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Scott1x wrote:What sort of recommendation are you looking for? I'd recommend learning about what a torrent is and how it works. Know that, you can make intelligent decisions on how to make it work the way you want it to work.

Scott - just to be fair. For those of that teethed on MP3, single file, mentality, torrents are foreign critters. I knew zip zero and nothing about torrents and their inner-workings. I read and reread the how to"s of torrents until my mind was frazzled. The FW folks did their best to drag me along (kudos to Hobo And Gubatron) until one day a light bulb turned on. I gotta admit that I still don't know everything about them (took me about a year) but at least now I know how to speak torrent. That's a long way from spelling MP3. On a brighter side, Frostwire is a heck of a lot easier to spell than Gnutella.
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Zooky wrote:
Scott1x wrote:What sort of recommendation are you looking for? I'd recommend learning about what a torrent is and how it works. Know that, you can make intelligent decisions on how to make it work the way you want it to work.

Scott - just to be fair. For those of that teethed on MP3, single file, mentality, torrents are foreign critters. I knew zip zero and nothing about torrents and their inner-workings. I read and reread the how to"s of torrents until my mind was frazzled. The FW folks did their best to drag me along (kudos to Hobo And Gubatron) until one day a light bulb turned on. I gotta admit that I still don't know everything about them (took me about a year) but at least now I know how to speak torrent. That's a long way from spelling MP3. On a brighter side, Frostwire is a heck of a lot easier to spell than Gnutella.

I hear you, but I was here when gnutella came along, near the time of Napster. For it's time, it's ok, but torrents allow SO much more power in control over what is being downloaded.

How would you like to try to download 7 seasons of a TV show using bearshare or FW4???

Torrents are NOT complicated. The protocol may be a bear (pun intended) but the actual torrent and understanding what it does is not that difficult. Maybe I should try to put together a layman's torrent explanation?

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I see you did with What Is A Torrent?

Nice work Scott1x thank you :)
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:39 am

Scott1x wrote:Torrents are NOT complicated. The protocol may be a bear (pun intended) but the actual torrent and understanding what it does is not that difficult. Maybe I should try to put together a layman's torrent explanation?

Oh dear - I fear that my missive may have upset you. Such is not the case, I was trying to show how much I agree with you. It's just that when I first started down the torrent trail there was precious little info on the inner workings (heck - workings period!) of torrents. Your message abut what the heck torrents is was all about was a GREAT help! I most certainly appreciate all of the very helpful work you do around here.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 am

Zooky wrote:Oh dear - I fear that my missive may have upset you. Such is not the case, I was trying to show how much I agree with you. It's just that when I first started down the torrent trail there was precious little info on the inner workings (heck - workings period!) of torrents. Your message abut what the heck torrents is was all about was a GREAT help! I most certainly appreciate all of the very helpful work you do around here.

Damn ONLINE! If I sounded upset, I was not! You made good points and made me realize that it is not as simple to many as I see it!! Thank you for that! I did take what you said to heart and tried to help out a little with my article on torrents.

So!!!! I was not, am not, and actually don't intend to be upset! LOL..... I've been using frostwire and think it's a good product. If I can help others realize it's potential, I'm more than willing to do so.

Cheers!

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Scott1x wrote:So!!!! I was not, am not, and actually don't intend to be upset! LOL..... I've been using frostwire and think it's a good product. If I can help others realize it's potential, I'm more than willing to do so.

Cheers!

OK (whew!)

The_Fox

Postby The_Fox » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:06 pm

So much love :O

Well said @OP Nice to see you're happy with it

jansen

Postby jansen » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Is Frostwire much faster thatn Turrent?

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm

jansen wrote:Is Frostwire much faster thatn Turrent?

So far, my experience is that it's not the program that is fast. It simply connects you to peers. You speed depends on your line, isp and the peers that you're connected to. Any and all torrent programs do that. Why choose one over the other? Features, service, support, and your own personal preference in interface.

albert7

Postby albert7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:56 am

Hello,

Frostwire performs a Smart Search upon the most relevant torrent search results that come from BitTorrent search engines, meaning it remembers every file contained by every torrent it scans increasing greatly the chance to find what you are looking for, super fast.

Nathann

Postby Nathann » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 am

Remove the link, you should only download Frostwire via Frostwire.com
Follow me on Twitter!
@w8i

The_Fox

Postby The_Fox » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:23 am

Link edited. Dirty spammers.

Return to “Open Discussion”