STICKY: Why I'm using FrostWire 5

Creative and useful discussions about anything involving the world of peer-2-peer.
Scott1x

Re: Why I'm using FrostWire 5

Postby Scott1x » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:04 pm

The_Fox wrote:Link edited. Dirty spammers.
AMEN TO THAT!!!!

pounder1

Re: STICKY: Why I'm using FrostWire 5

Postby pounder1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:20 am

How do you get frostwire 4.21 to work now, this new one SUCKs it finds NOTHING unlike 4.21, like the 5.x one is never going back on my PC like EVER.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 am

pounder1 wrote:How do you get frostwire 4.21 to work now, this new one SUCKs it finds NOTHING unlike 4.21, like the 5.x one is never going back on my PC like EVER.

Short answer: You don't.
Good bye.

Kadmium

Postby Kadmium » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi,

I just tried out Frostwire and decided to uninstall it. I just wanted to leave some feedback on why. I should probably add that I'm not whining or complaining about these things and I'm not asking that they be changed; I understand that there are technical and economic reasons why these choices were made, I just thought the feedback might be useful to the devs for information-gathering purposes. The version that I tried was 5.5.3 for Windows.

Basically, two reasons. First, it asked me to install a toolbar and some other software on installation. That feels sleazy and dirty. Not quite a dealbreaker by itself, but it makes me wary and on edge, like being hustled by a pimp as soon as I walk into a club. It makes me feel like I'm in the wrong club.
Second, the UI feels slow, unresponsive and alien, like a Java app. I understand that that's because it is a Java app, but it's still horrible when an app feels like one.

I hope this is helpful :).

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Kadmium wrote:Hi,

I just tried out Frostwire and decided to uninstall it. I just wanted to leave some feedback on why. I should probably add that I'm not whining or complaining about these things and I'm not asking that they be changed; I understand that there are technical and economic reasons why these choices were made, I just thought the feedback might be useful to the devs for information-gathering purposes. The version that I tried was 5.5.3 for Windows.

Basically, two reasons. First, it asked me to install a toolbar and some other software on installation. That feels sleazy and dirty. Not quite a dealbreaker by itself, but it makes me wary and on edge, like being hustled by a pimp as soon as I walk into a club. It makes me feel like I'm in the wrong club.
Second, the UI feels slow, unresponsive and alien, like a Java app. I understand that that's because it is a Java app, but it's still horrible when an app feels like one.

I hope this is helpful :).

I don't have a problem with being ASKED if I want to install a tool bar. Some people like them. I don't. I unchecked it and it didn't install. Those tool bar questions help pay the bills. You don't have to install, but the fact that the question is there does help support development cost. That' bothers you? If more people actually made a donation, it might not be necessary, but we both know the chance of that!

I have worked with more responsive guis, but I find that the search facility is excellent and I do like the ability to quickly refined the search w/o repeating it. That's nice.

I've tried almost every major bittorrent product out there. The ones that seemed to shine brightly usually had a fatal flaw, that was often customer support. When I go to a support forum, I have ALREADY Are Teed the Fing Manual... it was incomprehensible, so I come to a forum for help. I've been in the computer field longer than some of the support people have been alive and telling me to RTFM will get you a response that will quickly generate a reply that will get me banned. AND the product removed from my system.

I find that FrostWire is quite usable with many excellent qualities and - this is important - the support staff is actually supportive.

I'm not crazy about java applications, but they have the advantage of being almost machine independent and that is a big plus. I also value the fact that it's open source. I has been user vetted as being what it appears to be. Once it gets running, a good torrent will max out my line speed and I don't need a responsive gui, then. I just need it to do what a P2P should do. - Download and share.

sonic_x

Re: STICKY: Why I'm using FrostWire 5 (Time to update)

Postby sonic_x » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Time to Update your frostwire on your favourite O/S!

frostwiredownload.jpg
frostwiredownload.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 9476 times
Thanks for supporting Frostwire! Sharing is caring :wink: Come join us on slack !

johnniewalk

Postby johnniewalk » Wed May 04, 2016 7:35 am

I think you are marketing by providing an information about frostwire

sonic_x

Postby sonic_x » Thu May 05, 2016 12:05 pm

I think the Forum is about Frostwire and related issues ... Last time i check ..

Lol
Cheers Sonic_X
Thanks for supporting Frostwire! Sharing is caring :wink: Come join us on slack !

betaorionis-at-FW

Postby betaorionis-at-FW » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:16 pm

I had serious problems after updating FrostWire to one of the Version 6xx and thanks to the help and suggestion by Scott1x , I "reverted" to FW 5.7.7 (build 1) and after around 3 years am still happily using it.
The only problem is having to reject the offer to update to the latest version 6xx :wink:
Which may be excellent for all I know, but I will not risk getting the same problems I've had before.
So thank you Scott1x and thank you to the FrostWire developers team :) <3
I guess that answers the question to the Thread title right ?
Martha - a.k.a. betaorionis-at-FW

sonic_x

Postby sonic_x » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:20 pm

We'll keep Frostwire alive.
Go to the offical site and try it on your pc, Mac and android device .

Beware of the downloading it from alternate site

Www.frostwire.com

Cheers
Sonic_X

Return to “Open Discussion”