STICKY: Making a chatroom

For Help and Support with Frostwire Community Chat.
nonproffessional
Team Member

STICKY: Making a chatroom

Postby nonproffessional » Thu May 03, 2007 11:41 am

From the chat section of FrostWire there has been a lot of questions about this. Everything that happens in your room is your responsibility and must follow the network rules, you can insist they follow other rules as well if you like.

Para uma traduçao em portugues veja/For a Portuguese translation of this post see Como criar uma sala

Pick a name for your room. Make it a nice name otherwise it will be hidden or taken from you. It cannot have spaces or commas, one word works best because people can remember it.
I will show you one called Playroom.
In the part of chat where you normally type, type /join #Playroom
Your room has now been created with you as the host. Leaving the room at this point will close it. Anyone who types the same thing will also join it but not as a host.

The most important thing when making a room is to register yourself.
  • Type /nickserv register apassword email@address with a password you make up, and your real email address in those places.
  • If you like to use more than one nickname change to that nickname now and type /nickserv group firstname apassword
    Put the first nickname you registered where it says firstname. Put the same password you used before.
  • If you want to stop anyone else using your nickname type /nickserv set kill on now.
  • Everytime you join the chat it will not recognise you straight away, type /nickserv identify apassword before doing anything else.
  • You must identify yourself with a nickname at least once a week to keep it.

To make the room more permanent you will need to register it.
  • Type /chanserv register #roomname apassword description
    For my example I might type /chanserv register #Playroom secretpass A friendly room. The password does not have to be the same as you used with nickserv, do not share that password with anyone!
  • You are now the owner of the room.
  • Type /topic #roomname Description
    For example, /topic #Playroom Come play in my playroom, I have a ball pit and everything!
  • When you want to close your room for good the command is /chanserv drop #roomname.
  • Sometimes you may need to give your password to gain access to your room, the command is /chanserv identify #roomname password.
  • To see your room in the room list now type /list

This is a good point to add a bot (robot) to look after things when you're not around.
  • Type /botserv botlist
  • At the bottom of chat is a BotServ button, click that and pick a name from the list. I will pick Tuxy.
  • Type /botserv assign #roomname botname
    In my example that would be /botserv assign #Playroom Tuxy
With you and the bot in a room and also a topic made it will now show on the room list. Your friends can easily double click it in the list to join.
Make some of your more trusted friends room hosts so they can help you.
  • Ask them if they have registered, if not they should type /nickserv register apassword email@address like you did earlier.
  • For each friend type /chanserv aop #roomname add nickname
    aop means Auto Operator, the bot will automatically make them host whenever they come back.
  • Instead of aop you can use sop for Super Operator (an admin), hop for Half Operator (a helper) or vop for Voiced Operator (a participant).
  • An admin (sop) can ban an owner (that's you!) from the room so be careful who you choose.
  • If you change your mind use del instead of add.
  • There can only be one registered owner at a time but if you want a temporary owner type /mode #roomname +q nickname to add them and /mode #roomname -q nickname to remove them. They cannot use chanserv like a true owner can and they'll lose it as soon as they leave the room.
  • To transfer ownership to someone else use /chanserv set #roomname founder nickname and then ask them to type /chanserv set #roomname password newpassword to protect the room.
You can remove anyone you like from your chat room and for any reason (just don't be too mean). So will your hosts, they may even kick you!
  • In the room type !k nickname to kick that nickname, they will be able to come back if they want to.
  • In the room type !kb nickname to kick and ban that nickname, they will probably not be able to come back.
  • In the room type !unban nickname to let them back in if you change your mind.
  • If you are banned from a room you have access to type /chanserv unban #roomname.
Finally if you want your room to be for adults with no children or just want a bit of privacy type /mode #roomname +p
To make it hide adult words so it is child safe type /mode #roomname +G
Last edited by nonproffessional on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unionjack

Postby unionjack » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:52 pm

:lol Thanx for help would have been useful to have known how many characters we could use for room description. But thats nitpicking HeeHee!![/i]
"share as many files as possible"

sidspyker

Re: Making a chatroom

Postby sidspyker » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:12 pm

NonproWork you are the best it's the best guide to understand how to make a room. 8) :D :) :wink:

Jays

Postby Jays » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Nonproffessional for the win! :D

MetalFreak

Postby MetalFreak » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:05 am

why do i have to be so dumb. I read this forum problay 10 times and still dont understand how to make a chat room.

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:34 pm

You could go to #support and some one may talk you through it ... BUT they will start by telling you to read this thread ... it is quite simple .. honestly .. :) Read the thread to the end ... the posts after as well as before this.
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

Jdurdle

Postby Jdurdle » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:31 pm

I keep getting " You have attempted to register a nonexistent Channel" , I'm following the instructions right. i think, lol.
Jason

nativebeauty

Postby nativebeauty » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:26 am

i just cant seem to figure this out. it says " You have attempted to register a nonexistent Channel" please help!

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:02 pm

If you follow the instructions carefully you should have no problems. Do check later posts in the thread.
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

The_Fox

Postby The_Fox » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:42 pm

nativebeauty wrote:i just cant seem to figure this out. it says " You have attempted to register a nonexistent Channel" please help!

When you type /msg chanserv register <roomname> <password> <description of the room>

You're probably forgetting the #

for example

Code: Select all

/msg chanserv register chatroom thisismypassword a place to chat

it needs to be

Code: Select all

/msg chanserv register #chatroom thisismypassword a place to chat

Hope this helps

SPAWN

Postby SPAWN » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Allways helps to be in the room you want to register when doing that

AlleyCat

Postby AlleyCat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:57 am

OK, Spawn answered in the end.
But, if you at least create the room first you can register it anywhere on the network and hallelujah you're on your way.
Frostwires Support Channel is a technical support room so:
PLEASE, if you cant READ and understand the guide to create a room, DONT ask for step by step help in support or this thread is pointless. The above guide if followed step by step as ordered is very simple and as we have said in there before, if after several tries you can't get it, try again another time because you're not ready to make a room yet.
Simple commands for more assistance are:
/msg chanserv help
/msg nickserv help
/msg botserv help
?help
There again, READING is the key to all understanding for something made simple above ^^^

Laserlad

Postby Laserlad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:10 pm

hey,
OK basically, how do you give a specific reason for kcicking somebody? for exapme im pretty sure you can make it say 'username' kicked for 'your reason'.
Is this possible?
Thanks,

Laserlad

Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:14 pm

If you have a bot type !k NICK REASON

or type /kick NICK REASON

Laserlad

Postby Laserlad » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Only A Hobo wrote:If you have a bot type !k NICK REASON

or type /kick NICK REASON

Awesome, OK thanks!!

Return to “Chat Room Help”