Help locating Firewall - If one does exist...

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Help locating Firewall - If one does exist...

Postby NightHawkInLight » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Well I'll get right to it. Frostwire will on occasion detect a firewall when running, and will in return have trouble preforming searches. Only about half the time will a firewall be detected. I am running Windows XP and have the windows firewall disabled. I am connected to my cable source through a wireless router.

I just find it strange that only on occasion will Frostwire detect the firewall. Search results will usually still come through, but only very few of them.

If my problem is actually a firewall I just need to locate it and disable it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-NH
NightHawkInLight

Re: Help locating Firewall - If one does exist...

Postby The_Fox » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:56 am

NEVER EVER DISABLE ANY FIREWALL is my first point

The error about a firewall? Its just an error message it doesn't mean anything about firewalls... It simply means you can't get connected

Join the community chat and join the room #support once in there type ?connect which will give you a temporary connection host which you input into the connection tab... sometimes this can take several attempts :)

If not try at a later time to connect say 10 pm or 11 pm :)
If that doesn't work ask someone in #support or repost back here :)

Best of luck
The_Fox

Postby NightHawkInLight » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:20 pm

I do not receive an error. I simply see a firewall indicator on frostwire. My windows firewall has been disabled for over a year, I know what I'm doing in that regard.

I am simply wondering why Frostwire is detecting a firewall when I know of none. My results are fewer when that detection is made as well, which is why I even care.
NightHawkInLight

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:27 pm

The firewall indicator comes on if Frostwire loses its connection to the internet (as well as when a firewall is present). You will probably see the connection bars all turn red and "starting connection" show when this happens .... inevitably when this happens search results will suffer although down/up loads should continue unaffected.

Why this is happening is harder to determine, but it might be down to your isp or the fact that you could be using a wireless connection of some sort for instance. Does it happen only at certain times of day?
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Postby NightHawkInLight » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Only A Hobo wrote:The firewall indicator comes on if Frostwire loses its connection to the internet (as well as when a firewall is present). You will probably see the connection bars all turn red and "starting connection" show when this happens .... inevitably when this happens search results will suffer although down/up loads should continue unaffected.

Why this is happening is harder to determine, but it might be down to your isp or the fact that you could be using a wireless connection of some sort for instance. Does it happen only at certain times of day?

My connection is fine the entire time. I will have the fullest connection and yet my results will suffer and the firewall indicator will be up. I haven't noticed a particular time of day in the past that it is on or off, though it is possible. Comcast is my isp.

Actually I no longer have Frostwire installed on my computer so this is no longer an issue for me, but an interesting occurrence none the less.
NightHawkInLight

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:01 pm

hmm .. I tend to blame that on Comcast who are famous for hindering p2p users, not quite sure how on this occasion ... then again it could be something to do with your modem or router if applicable or some other settings within Frostwire we could look at ... but hey if you no longer have Frosty that will be of no interest.... It would be interesting to know if you are using another p2p app with better/worse results. It would be good to get you back using Frosty :)
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Postby NightHawkInLight » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Only A Hobo wrote:hmm .. I tend to blame that on Comcast who are famous for hindering p2p users, not quite sure how on this occasion ... then again it could be something to do with your modem or router if applicable or some other settings within Frostwire we could look at ... but hey if you no longer have Frosty that will be of no interest.... It would be interesting to know if you are using another p2p app with better/worse results. It would be good to get you back using Frosty :)

Ah no I'm not changing programs. Frostwire is the best I've used by far. I'm just changing a lot of things at the moment. We'll see what happens.
NightHawkInLight

Postby Only A Hobo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:38 pm

That's good to hear :)

Just a few thoughts ....

It would be a good idea to port-forward your router using the relevant instructions for the router and Limewire at http://www.portforward.com , although this would normally show a permanent wall, so perhaps you have done that.

It would also be a good idea to "totally" remove Frostwire .. which includes most importantly the appdata/prefernce folder. It might also help to do a clean install of Java. A lot of users have found that Revouninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/ is good for removing bits that Windows' uninstaller leaves behind.

When you have Frostwire back it may help to go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Performance and *un-select* the three options you see there.
EDIT* .. That should read disable which is in fact checking the check boxes.
Only A Hobo

Postby NightHawkInLight » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:39 pm

I'll give those things a shot when I can. Thanks for all the info.

BTW, the three options under performance were unselected when I was having the problem. Just to let you know in case this ever helps anyone else diagnose the same problem.
NightHawkInLight

Postby Only A Hobo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:12 pm

I miswrote that ... comes from thinking you can remember everything .. It seems to create problems for some when the boxes are un selected. Dissabling the options by selecting the boxes helps with some connection problems .. I'm glad you brought it up :)
Only A Hobo

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support