Slow Downloads

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Slow Downloads

Postby Nicky89 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi, I use frostwire frequently and last night i tried downloading a few songs but for some reason it took ages to download. I restarted frostwire and tried it again this afternoon at about 4pm and the songs still havent downloaded! :? please let me know if you have a solution id really appreciate it
Nicky89

Re: Slow Downloads

Postby nonproffessional » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:20 pm

Please provide a bit more info
nonproffessional
Team Member

Postby Nicky89 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:18 pm

hi. well what can i say, the connection is as always turbo charged. When i run a search it takes longer to recieve results. When i usually download il click on the result with the highest '#' becuase it downloads faster. This is what i did this time round but the speed is at 0KB/s downloading from 2/3 hosts. My internet connection is fine, ive exited and restarted frostwire to see if that would work but it hasnt. Hopefully thats enough info? let me know if you need anything specific. thanks
Nicky89

Postby The_Fox » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:45 pm

nonproffessional wrote:Please provide a bit more info

I believe he means read this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=455

And post some info like that OS system connections Speed ISP... read that then post sweetie :)
The_Fox

Postby jlindsey » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi i also have the same problem as the person above and i have provided the details that are required as well.
* Your Operating System : Toshiba L350-171
* Your Java Version : Java platform, Standard edition 6
* Your version of FrostWire : 4.17.2
* Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) : Wireless Router
* Your ISP (who you pay for your internet connection) : AOL
* Your country : UK
* Are you trying to connect at home and is the connection shared with other apartments etc. or in an office, college, internet cafe or somewhere like that? At home and i am not connected with any other apartments.
* Which version of Frostwire do you have (Help>About or, on Mac, Frostwire > About Frostwire) : 4.17.2
* What type of modem and/or router do you have ... Give make and model numbers if you can. SpeedTouch 39E 1F2
* What security program(s) ...firewall anti-virus, anti spyware do you have installed. : McAfee Security Centre
* The exact error message, if one pops up : No message pops up just download speed problem as commented on above.
* Have you used Frostwire or other p2p programs for a while or are you a first time user: Yes i have used frostwire before.
* Any other relevant information that you think may help. -
jlindsey

Postby The_Fox » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi again,

Heres a tip, your OS isn't your PC make and model, but the system your PC runs on, like windows XP orrrr Windows vista, orrrrr a linux distrubution...
The_Fox

Postby Only A Hobo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Hobo reminds The_Fox yet again of the company at 1 Infinite Loop :)

@jlindsey It would also help to know exactly what your problem is. Have you been using Frostwire fine up until now? Have you perhaps downloaded a lot of things ... using any methods ... recently. If you are a first time user and have had problems since day one, you could have a different problem than if downloads have suddenly stopped/slowed down.
Does your Frostwire say starting connection, or turbocharged connection
Have you tried downloading late at night .. after 23.00 or later?

AOL have certainly gone downhill since the Carphone Whorehouse took them over ... and there are certainly many reports of CW/AOL limiting use of p2p since then ... but we could just be looking at a case of hosts going off line causing downloads to stop...
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Postby The_Fox » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:43 pm

I hate it when you confuse me hobo :|

slaps hobo with a tomato

:P

Explain to me please!!

Nevermind, I just got it as I posted this
The_Fox

Postby Only A Hobo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:59 pm

I thought you might like a wee Google :)

wipes off the tomato and hands The Fox an 
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Postby jlindsey » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:36 am

oryt cheers for that info i didn't really know what it was.

* Your Operating System : Windows Vista
* Your Java Version : Java platform, Standard edition 6
* Your version of FrostWire : 4.17.2
* Your Internet connection (56K, Cable, DSL) : Wireless Router
* Your ISP (who you pay for your internet connection) : AOL
* Your country : UK
* Are you trying to connect at home and is the connection shared with other apartments etc. or in an office, college, internet cafe or somewhere like that? At home and i am not connected with any other apartments.
* Which version of Frostwire do you have (Help>About or, on Mac, Frostwire > About Frostwire) : 4.17.2
* What type of modem and/or router do you have ... Give make and model numbers if you can. SpeedTouch 39E 1F2
* What security program(s) ...firewall anti-virus, anti spyware do you have installed. : McAfee Security Centre
* The exact error message, if one pops up : No message pops up just download speed problem as commented on above.
* Have you used Frostwire or other p2p programs for a while or are you a first time user: Yes i have used frostwire before.
* Any other relevant information that you think may help. Well like years a go because i used to use limewire all the time and it was fine i could download songs quickly and easily. but suddenly i couldn't download anything it would take soooo slow and i wouldn't have any kb's in the download area. so i decided to try frostwire but its exactly the same, maybe a lil bit better. My connection is turbo-charged the majority of the time but still has the firewall in front of the globe in the corner. I have basically got the same problem as nicky89. please help me :D:D
jlindsey

Postby wolf0073 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Howdy this will be my first post as I am a brand spanking new user. I only recently installed Frost Wire 4.13.5 on my computer which runs a win 98 2nd ed (I know it's old) I have a high speed connection using a Siemens Gigaset SE567. And I'm getting the same problem. Thus far I have downloaded only 5 files from the system 2 songs and 3 movies respectively. In total it amounts to approximately 3 gig of info. I was attempting to download Ironman which has been stuck on 99% complete for the last 5 hours. It has been reading turbocharged on my connection speed. Uploads from my shared files are still going out but nothing is coming in. I am not blocked by a firewall and currently it says that I am downloading from 22 hosts. The first couple of downloads went no problem at all download speeds from 50kb/s up to 98kb/s and that was with the upload going out as well at whatever speed. I think we all might be sharing a similar problem. I've fiddled with the controls rebooted tried changing settings and nada. When I relog in the uploads start and I'm still stuck with 99% of a file. Any Ideas out there?
wolf0073

Postby wolf0073 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:02 pm

I believe I may have figured out my problem. I don't know if JLindsey is having the same one but here goes. I rechecked the download still at 99%. so I stopped the download and on a whim I checked the incomplete download file and lo and behold the file was complete and downloaded along with three others but they hadn't been removed from the download q. Maybe it is just the older version I am running. I'll have to upgrade once I beef up my OS. Sorry for having troubled anyone. Thus the file was listed as downloading from x number of hosts at a strong connection speed but was complete and so transfer rate was at zero. Probably a newbie mistake. "BLUSH"
wolf0073

Postby Only A Hobo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks for the update, wolf0073. This might have something to with your OS ... we don't see many of those around here :)

Could you tell us the path to the Frostwire saved folder (Tools > Options > Saving > Save Folder.

Out of interest, have you tried running Frost 4.17.2 on your machine? .. In theory I believe it should work, but your RAM and processor speed might be against you.

I don't think your issue is connected with jlindsey's
Only A Hobo

Postby Only A Hobo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:08 pm

@jlindsey,

Are you quite sure your SpeedTouch details are correct? ... I had one Google hit which was this page :)

Could you go to Tools > Options > Advanced > performance and disable the three options there and see if it makes a difference.

Have you found any difference trying to use Frostwire after 11pm or 1 am?
Only A Hobo

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support