Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin

Trojan Virus in Frostwire 4.13.5 C|NET Download.com

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Trojan Virus in Frostwire 4.13.5 C|NET Download.com

Postby MutantBunny » Sun May 18, 2008 9:31 pm

When I went to frostwire.com and clicked on the download link for Frostwire 4.13.5, it directed me to http://www.download.com. At this webpage I downloaded the newest version of Frostwire. Once the application was on my desktop, I scanned it with avast! antivirus. It detected 2 Trojan Viruses, and it deleted the file. I also downloaded again scanned ewido antivirus. The same 2 trojans appeared. I searced Frostwire 4.13.5 on google, and only found 2 other sources. They were http://www.Softpedia.com and http://www.Brothersoft.com. They were the exact same file, with the same 2 viruses. I need the new version of Frostwire! And anywhere i go to download it i get virus overload! What do I do? How do I get a clean version of 4.13.5?

Thanx in advance to any Help!

-MutantBunny
.1up.
MutantBunny

Re: Trojan Virus in Frostwire 4.13.5 C|NET Download.com

Postby cootmaster » Sun May 18, 2008 11:08 pm

http://www.download.com/FrostWire/3000- ... d=10813990

or hit DOWNLOAD on top i just tested it it was fine
**SWEET MELODY**

Please do not PM me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums and or #support room, and may also help others. A forum search will very often produce an answer for your question.
cootmaster
Support Team

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon May 19, 2008 6:05 am

Exactly what virus/trojans were identified? There is a option to install an "ask" toolbar and it is possible that your programs are picking up on this which is not harmful but does sometimes get picked up by some av programs.
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Postby MutantBunny » Mon May 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Avast! antivirus says it is a Win32:Agent-XIT [Trj], but when i scan it with ewido antivirus now it says there is no viruses. It found two trojans. One was found in C:\Documents and Settings\Colin\Desktop\frostwire-4.13.5.windows.exe\$PLUGINSDIR\apbarSp.FrostWire.exe\[Embedded#040d0] and the other was found in the same place.
.1up.
MutantBunny

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon May 19, 2008 5:41 pm

These are not harmful .. they are in fact files related to the ask toolbar I referred to earlier. Certain AV programs show up such things as being viruses or trojans, or as being ad-ware within Frostwire. The toolbar is not in any way harmful and when you install Frostwire, there are options to not install it if you don't wish to ...
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Postby MutantBunny » Tue May 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Okay thank you for your help!
.1up.
MutantBunny

Postby cootmaster » Tue May 20, 2008 4:27 pm

i know my Norton av
is picky
it goes nuts if theres a tracking cookie or in irc rooms
BETTER the av is cautious then the real virus and let it slip by
**SWEET MELODY**

Please do not PM me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums and or #support room, and may also help others. A forum search will very often produce an answer for your question.
cootmaster
Support Team

Postby ryklon » Sun May 25, 2008 11:14 am

Im having the same problem with avast and frostwire.
I would like to clarify if it is safe to ignore the false positive detected by avast and continue to install frostwire?
ryklon

Postby nonproffessional » Sun May 25, 2008 12:23 pm

Avast is picking up on the toolbar that is included and which helps pay for frostwire. It is optional and you can deselect it during install if you stop to read and don't just click "Next" blindly.
nonproffessional
Team Member

Postby Only A Hobo » Sun May 25, 2008 4:15 pm

And yes it is quite safe :)
Only A Hobo

Postby ryklon » Sun May 25, 2008 7:39 pm

I had consulted Avast forums and they said that I must upload your software to a virus testing online scanner ( http://www.virustotal.com/ ).Ill try to resolve this problem and ill report here whether Avast detected a false positive or frostwire is containing a trojan.
ryklon

Postby ryklon » Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 pm

This is a link to the result of the online virus scanner

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/1d7e ... 5dcda8e9eb

3 anti virus detects the installer of frostwire is contain a virus or an adware installer
I know the adware installer is the ask toolbar(detected by NOD32)but the virus detection of the 2 remaining anti virus is bothering me.
ryklon

Postby Malakai » Mon May 26, 2008 10:47 am

I'd imagine that it's better that no one install FrostWire until all virus scan software detects zero viruses (or false positives) in the software. The FrostWire community needs to clear this up with the AV companies before us users can feel safe again.

It's rarely a good idea to tell the public to ignore virus warnings.
Malakai

Postby Only A Hobo » Mon May 26, 2008 5:49 pm

You may have a point, but the results posted above show that only 3 out of 29 programs found any problem whatsoever. We seem to have had a spate of questions about this recently, and only one other that I can recall previously since the addition of the toolbar.

Please read this re: Win32:Agent-XIT (Avast) .. all the way to the bottom .. (The ask toolbar WAS installed after all)
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 96daa6c6de

As for malicious software (Prevx1) .. well that doesn't say anything, which is less than helpful

"It is rarely a good idea to tell the public to ignore virus warnings", agreed but on this occasion we feel justified. I have asked the development team to check this thread and suggestions out.

and thanks ryklon for posting those results :)
Only A Hobo

Postby ryklon » Mon May 26, 2008 7:51 pm

No problem :wink:
Id gladly help frostwire because it is one of my favorite p2p clients and it is the best when downloading music(.mp3)files

Good luck to all the developments :)
ryklon

Next

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support