Use anonymous proxy with Frostwire

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:
mannitu

Use anonymous proxy with Frostwire

Postby mannitu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:12 pm

Hello.
Ive been trying to use 1 of the free available proxys now for weeks. Search out a publix server in another county, sort them by Anonymous Level and Speed, so far so good. It went a little too good for me, what made me really suspicious, no matter what proxy i wrote in frostwire to use, the downloadrate was always amazing. My Provider allows me 16Mbit, which results in a 2MB/s downloadrate and thats exactly the rate i was able to achieve with a proxy, with ANY proxy.

So i was starting to thin, is Frostwire really using a proxy or is it bypassing it? If the proxy connection doesnt work somehow or i made a mistake with its setup, why is frostwire just bypassing it and downloading over my regular IP? It should stop the download here and not putting someone into danger without even letting him know what happens. Really pissed me off a little^^

So i checked the proxy data a few times, i made sure it was the right proxy with right protocol and port. I tried with DHT and without DHT.

I loaded down Utorrent, just to see what Utorrent does when i setup a proxy. UTorrent seems to do it right because suddenly my downloadrate sunk down to a very slow rate, it stopped and started, many proxys didnt even start to download. But thats better than starting the download over my IP and pretending its using a proxy.

I also started this torrent IP-check with the IPmagnet tool with following result:

When downloading without a proxy, Frostwire is showing me my regular IP.
When i setup a proxy, the tool is showing me nothing...its not showing me ANY IP at all, no my own and not the proxy IP either.

When i open the taskmanager-Ressourcemonitor-Network and filter it for "Frostwire", its looking good..at least i think so. In the TCP-Connection Section i can see following:(After setting up a proxy and starting a download)

A few dozen IPs, on the left i can see my own IP "LOcal Adresse" and on the right side, under "Remoteaddresse" there is the IP Number of the proxy..so basicly there are a lot of connections between my own IP and the proxys IP.

But like i said, i dont think its really donwloading over a proxy, its just not possible that its working as good as over my own IP, not only that, its working with almost ANY proxy, download is starting very fast, that would just be to good to be true. Yes, ofc i tried to use the better, faster servers with good transfer rates. Still its just not possible and like i said, under UTorrent its really a mess to get a good download with proxy, i think i wouldnt even try to download a big torrent under this miserable conditions.

So can someone tell me whats going on with frostwire and how i can make sure its using the proxy? There are not much settings on frostwire, i disabled DHT and selected proxy, port and HTTP/socks, thats it, theres not much more you can put on or off in frostwire :(

Thx and greetings from germany.

Scott1x

Re: Use anonymous proxy with Frostwire

Postby Scott1x » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:14 pm

I have never been a fan of proxies, especially "free" ones, which are usually just mis configured proxies that have no intent of being free. If they log, and are approached, they could reveal your IP, though I don't know what the odds are that they actually log.

However, having said that, the only thing you didn't mention that you do is configure the network interface.

Personally, I recommend a VPN, and Privateinternetaccess, which advertises here, if one of the better and cost effective ones available. A VPN does give you a lot more control AND security than a proxy. Check out my help pages and read up on them. I do provide some interesting links.

All VPN services are NOT the same. If you want identity anonymity, you should only use one that CANNOT reveal your identity, otherwise a court order can leave you revealed!

mannitu

Postby mannitu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:21 pm

sorry, but i really dont wanna discuss the sense of a VPN. Thats just another topic. Before you wanna choose something you want to understand it. Right atm i wanna understand this proxy. I want to understand why Frostwire obviosly is bypassing the proxy, which it shouldnt do. What do you mean with network interface? YOu mean how i configured the network settings in the control panel? At the moment i am not touching them. I think, i already tried to write the same proxy settings in selected in the frostwire settings in the network options, with no result. But, as far as i know, that shouldnt make a difference, anyway. Because frostwire uses its own proxy, like the browser does. (if i use a proxy, which is implimented in the browser, with a tool, for example)

Maybe i missed some kind of setting in the control panel-network settings? A lot of this settings dont mean anything, to me :(...but i have seen a few guides for setting up the proxy in Frostwire and i have done exact the same thing. LIke i said, for the case i missed something, i would prefer Frostwire to not download at all instead of bypassing it over my regular IP. :|

I undersdtand that a VPN offers more security...its just that i dont need much Security on a regular basis...for 99% of my hobbys i am fine with my normal connection which is fast and stable. Its maybe a couple of times per year that i use frostwire. Just wanna add the maximum amount of security in this cases. Already i am using PeerBlock. As far as i understand Peerblock in combination with a proxy in another country would be a good thing for someone who is a very light user anyway.

edit: with "Network Interface", did you mean the setting in frostwire? Sorry, i am slow sometimes, need to look for the translation in german. There is a page "Network Interface" in frostwire, i can click on "Choose a special Network Adapter", but there is only 1 choice, namely my regular Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller...there are about 15 LInes, "WAN MINIPORT XY" "MIcrosoft Turedo Tunneling Adapter" and so on...but i cannot check or uncheck them :(

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:22 pm

After reading how insecure proxies, especially free proxies are, especially if you want anonymity with FW, I dropped the proxy issue.

Since I stopped following them years ago, what I do remember is rudimentary, so I can't help you.

mannitu

Postby mannitu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:30 pm

No problem, thank you, maybe someone will join.

mannitu

Postby mannitu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:45 pm

ok, as i am waiting anyway, which VPN Service would you choose? Just in case i will try it in future. Is it necessary to make them know my bank-account data? Or can you pay with something anonymous like paysafe card?

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 pm

mannitu wrote:ok, as i am waiting anyway, which VPN Service would you choose? Just in case i will try it in future. Is it necessary to make them know my bank-account data? Or can you pay with something anonymous like paysafe card?

Long before privateinternetaccess advertised on this board, I was using them. They use a shared IP system and do no logging, so it is impossible to reveal anything about your connection. They have various payment methods, including amazon gift cards, I think! Their payment methodology separates payment data from your actual account. The link https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/ at the top of this page is easy access to the site.

Check them out and read some of the reviews pointed to in my help pages.

mannitu

Postby mannitu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:12 pm

look good, 7 dollar and i can pay for 1 month only, dont need to pay 6 month....

to the proxy again, maybe i need to choose a socks 4 oder socks 5 proxy? I used HTTP proxys always before and now with a socks 4 seems to run...different. Cant tell if good, but the download is reasonable....slower...im still walking in the dark^^

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 pm

mannitu wrote:look good, 7 dollar and i can pay for 1 month only, dont need to pay 6 month....

to the proxy again, maybe i need to choose a socks 4 oder socks 5 proxy? I used HTTP proxys always before and now with a socks 4 seems to run...different. Cant tell if good, but the download is reasonable....slower...im still walking in the dark^^

I go by the year. I like the three dollar a month price.

As for proxy, I guess you have to try until you find a combination that works. If you purchase a proxy, you'd have the necessary data to set it up. In many cases you do get what you pay for.... I know, not always. However, with PIA you do get a highly functional product.

mannitu

Postby mannitu » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:43 am

ok, seems like PIA doesnt accept paysafe card...i will have to buy an Amazon Card for 25eu. Hopefully i can spend the remaining 18 eu for something useful after paying only 7 Dollars for 1 month. Just want to try it out. Amazon Cards seem not to be available as 10eu?

btw, did you check out "Tribler"? Thats a P2P network that provides anony.....seems to work like Tor...download speed seems to be low...but who cares, if you dont have to worry bout nothing, you can just leave this thing working 24/7...i couldnt find anything bad about tribler so far. Seems no one using this thing has been "Busted" so far for anything. Only thing strange for me is that a university launched this network...so we have a university opening doors to copyright violation. Interesting.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:10 pm

I have not tried Tribler, but, in today's world anonymity is so important! There is another one called soulseek that is a totally different model. Using PIA VPN, going through Romania with FrostWire, I've achieved the highest transfer rates. Many of my transfers exceed a gig, so speed is important for those items. Back in the bad old days, I had a transfer take a month! That would probably only take a couple of hours now. With the connection I just mentioned, I often max out my my cable speed.

However, downloading or not, I have my PIA VPN on. One thing it does is prevent my computer from acting as a server, so NO unsolicited input is possible. That is an effect of the shared IP allocation. That is one reason that I keep it up 24/7.

mannitu

Postby mannitu » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:09 pm

ok, 1 more question about PIA...how do i set it up with frostwire?

I already checked my network setup in windows, there is a tab "setup a VPN", so it should be no proble to implant this thing in windows..is this all i have to do or do i have to set it up in Frostwire as well? What do i have to do? I dont want to end in the same mess again.

i want to make sure that EVERYTHING i do goes through this new VPN and leave no way to bypass it. :shock:

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:54 pm

mannitu wrote:ok, 1 more question about PIA...how do i set it up with frostwire?

I already checked my network setup in windows, there is a tab "setup a VPN", so it should be no proble to implant this thing in windows..is this all i have to do or do i have to set it up in Frostwire as well? What do i have to do? I dont want to end in the same mess again.

i want to make sure that EVERYTHING i do goes through this new VPN and leave no way to bypass it. :shock:

There is essentially NO setup with windows of any application software. On the install, you will enter your user name and password. They are persistent. Once you have the flower on the task area, you right button it and select what you want to do from the menu. Unless you are modifying the setting, that will usually be connect, selecting a connection point or disconnecting.

PIA traps all network activity and routes it through a PIA server with an encrypted stream. Anyone sniffing your traffic will seen encrypted data going to PIA. Anyone receiving the clear data will only know that it came from a PIA node, unless you supply identifying information such as an id or password.

Now, browsers have fingerprints that, if someone works hard enough, can be connected to you, but that is a monumental effort. You can change the browser fingerprint by adding or removing addons. If you want almost total anonymity in your browser, keep one that is only used through the VPN. That way, there will be no track back to your home IP. Firefox portable would be a good choice for that.

I have used the Tor browser through the VPN and that works great.

mannitu

Postby mannitu » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Ok, 1 last thing, hope that doesnt annoy you, but i think im gonna switch to another VPN. After reading myself 90min through all payment options, i think im gonny pick up a VPN that i can pay with paysafecard. Not only is paysafecard fast, works instantly, its also 100% anonymous. I know there are also other options on PIA like Bitcoins, but its too complicated for me. Especially, if you want to try it for just 1 month. I can buy a paysafecard in a shop only 100m away, so im gonna go this easy way.

There are VPNs you can pay with paysafecard. maybe you can take a look for me or already know one? :)
It should be good for torrents, i mean no download bandwith and not too slow.

Thx.

edit: Torguard looks good to me...as far as i can see as a noob^^

I wonder why they ask for your address...most of them seem to ask for your address. Can you enter a fantasy address or will you really need to be honest about it?

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:56 pm

What VPN you choose is up to you! I would check the torrent freak reviews on it to may sure it is truly anonymous. So many of them ARE NOT! Hide My Ass is the poster child for not anonymous!

BE CAREFUL.

Return to “FrostWire Desktop Technical Support”