files getting deleted!

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:
Mils

files getting deleted!

Postby Mils » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi,
I am a long time frostwire user, I noticed lately that many files downloaded in the default folder are deleted!
I am now scrambling to know how was it done. no one else uses my PC, and I am sure the files were there downloaded by frostwire and somehow were deleted.
I am doubting that the antivirus software can do that, but I cannot verify that...
need help from this sabotaging act

Only A Hobo

Re: files getting deleted!

Postby Only A Hobo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:59 am

Which version of Frostwire are you using?

What is your operating system?

Are these files you have intended to download and have played?
Are/were they in "Frostwire >Torrent Data"

What is the location of your Frostwire>Torrent Data folder. I know you say Default. I am checking it is indeed in the correct location.

What do you do on Frostwire after a download is complete?
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.

Mils

Postby Mils » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi Only A Hobo,

you questions are spot on,
after a session of frustration and brain storming, I was able to determine that frostwire has deleted those files that were already in the torrent data folder.
I guess I must have stopped seeding either by remove torrent button or cancel download... and as a result the files were automatically deleted without warning or advice!!
note: some files will not delete by this method, as I tried it again, to try to fix the problem.
maybe I have to hide seeding torrents option instead....
but I became not comfortable that files being deleted without me knowing. is there a way around that?

Frostwire version was 6.0.3 now 6.0.5
windows 7
the files were videos that played well, in the default location
waiting for your explanation,
thanks

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:04 pm

If you have downloaded data from a torrent and removed that torrent from download list, the downloaded files are not visible but can be affected by torrent actions. If, at a later time you request to download a song that contains a song that has already been downloaded, but is not in the current request list, on file clean up all files contained in that torrent that are not downloaded this time will be deleted, as I recall.

To prevent this sort of problem, when you have completed downloading a torrent, cancel that torrent and move the downloaded files to an area not referenced as a torrent download area.

This is neither obvious or intuitive, and I determined this by trial and error on version five. I'm going to guess that the same thing is true for version six.

Removing a torrent or canceling a torrent should not delete completed downloads that are referenced by that torrent. The problem is, so far as I know, unique to “hand picked” files from a torrent. Hand picked is inherently dangerous but can be used with reasonable safety by moving the downloads out of the torrent download area.

Neuk2015

Postby Neuk2015 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:59 am

I do just that, clicking on 'explore' and locating the file in my computer's hard drive. Twice in the past 2-3 days the movie file is there in the hard drive, only to have vapourized when I try to find it to play it.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:47 am

Neuk2015 wrote:I do just that, clicking on 'explore' and locating the file in my computer's hard drive. Twice in the past 2-3 days the movie file is there in the hard drive, only to have vapourized when I try to find it to play it.

Since you can get to it by explore, try copying it to another location that is not managed by FW. Please mention you FW release and O/S version when requesting help.

Files should not simply vanish from your hard drive. They are either getting deleted by something OR you are having a hard drive problem that is causing the files to vanish. You could try an chkdsk without fix to see if there are any detected problems.

Version six of FW has had some strange problems, so I'd not drop it from consideration, which is why I suggested the copying the file to another location.

Return to “FrostWire Desktop Technical Support”