Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin

How to Create Torrents and Be Searchable?

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

How to Create Torrents and Be Searchable?

Postby p2pguy » Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 am

Hello,

I've been able to create a torrent file and seed it locally per instructions I found. I made sure they have at least 3-4 torrent trackers but I'm not sure why they can't be found when doing a search thru limewire. Do I need to upload the torrent somewhere or does frostwire automatically know what's contained within the .torrent file once I create it? Don't I need to provide a description and file list so people can search it? Once I created my .torrent file, how do I publish it such that its searchable via FW search function?

Thank you
p2pguy

Re: How to Create Torrents and Be Searchable?

Postby Scott1x » Mon May 20, 2013 12:07 pm

p2pguy wrote:Hello,

I've been able to create a torrent file and seed it locally per instructions I found. I made sure they have at least 3-4 torrent trackers but I'm not sure why they can't be found when doing a search thru limewire. Do I need to upload the torrent somewhere or does frostwire automatically know what's contained within the .torrent file once I create it? Don't I need to provide a description and file list so people can search it? Once I created my .torrent file, how do I publish it such that its searchable via FW search function?

Thank you

Here is the general article on sharing, but I suspect that you've already done this: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/Sharing.html
Frostwire does not actually search for torrents. It accesses index sites and uses their protocols for searching. So, to get our torrents accessible to the world at large, you need to register your torrent with some of the index sites. Both Piratebay and ISOhunt are partially blocked or censored in the USA, but for general purposes, ISOhunt could be a good choice. You CAN get to Piratebay by using their direct IP rather than their URL: http://194.71.107.80/

On the left of the main frostwire screen you'll see other search engines that you could register with. Each one has different registration protocols, so you will have to go to the site and read their rules for submitting a torrent.

Do ask yourself if your contribution is unique enough to be worthwhile, and if you are willing to commit to 24/7 seeding until it gets going! Be aware of any possible copyright issues. You do not want to end up as the target of a lawsuit. DO read this: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/Copyright.html and be advised!!!
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
Scott1x

Postby p2pguy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Thank you. I thought I'd have to submit it to a torrent site to be searchable, just wasn't sure what I was missing. I tried creating an account on TPB but it was deleted before I even uploaded my first torrent. The software I'm looking to seed is open-source items, I want to avoid legal issues or copyright infringement as well and I have a seedbox at home that I use to host sites that I could use to seed torrents but it seems TPB isn't interested. Not sure why.
p2pguy

Postby Scott1x » Mon May 20, 2013 8:37 pm

p2pguy wrote:Thank you. I thought I'd have to submit it to a torrent site to be searchable, just wasn't sure what I was missing. I tried creating an account on TPB but it was deleted before I even uploaded my first torrent. The software I'm looking to seed is open-source items, I want to avoid legal issues or copyright infringement as well and I have a seedbox at home that I use to host sites that I could use to seed torrents but it seems TPB isn't interested. Not sure why.

So far as I know TBP is all automated. If your account is being deleted, I'd guess there was some protocol violated. Make sure all was in compliance.

I do not depend on the internal search of FW alone. I will search for torrents using my normal search engine, duckduckgo.com. I normally DO start with FW, because it does a rather good job, but if I draw a blank, I do keep looking.
Scott1x

Postby p2pguy » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Scott1x wrote:
p2pguy wrote:Thank you. I thought I'd have to submit it to a torrent site to be searchable, just wasn't sure what I was missing. I tried creating an account on TPB but it was deleted before I even uploaded my first torrent. The software I'm looking to seed is open-source items, I want to avoid legal issues or copyright infringement as well and I have a seedbox at home that I use to host sites that I could use to seed torrents but it seems TPB isn't interested. Not sure why.

So far as I know TBP is all automated. If your account is being deleted, I'd guess there was some protocol violated. Make sure all was in compliance.

I do not depend on the internal search of FW alone. I will search for torrents using my normal search engine, duckduckgo.com. I normally DO start with FW, because it does a rather good job, but if I draw a blank, I do keep looking.

I'm not sure what compliance there was, all I did was create an account via my yahoo email and login. I didn't even upload. Within 60 seconds of creating an account it was deleted.
p2pguy

Postby Scott1x » Tue May 21, 2013 4:07 am

p2pguy wrote:I'm not sure what compliance there was, all I did was create an account via my yahoo email and login. I didn't even upload. Within 60 seconds of creating an account it was deleted.

I'd suggest NOT using yahoo, then. Make sure you pick a unique ID, too. IDs can be a problem!
Scott1x

Postby Zooky » Tue May 21, 2013 9:02 am

p2pguy wrote: I didn't even upload. Within 60 seconds of creating an account it was deleted.

That's strange. Are you, perhaps, trying to create an account that *could* be construed as being offensive and/or illegal. For instance, the id you use here (p2pguy) *could* be construed of having ill use on Yahoo. On here it's just fine as FW is all about such things - but, over on Yahoo it *could* have bad connotations to them. Their sniffer-outterer gets a bit picky at times.
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz
Zooky

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support