How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby frostbyte » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:51 am

I don't know why they did this, but it is the most annoying thing. Why does Frostwire auto create folders and sub-folders when I download music? It takes me forever to find them and sort them out the way I like them. Why can't Frostwire just KEEP IT SIMPLE. Like Limewire and most other programs that downloads the files into ONE folder without keep on creating more folders and sub-folders.

This makes it so much more disorganized. When I download a song, it will create a folder and a sub-folder etc. For example. I want to download 'my song'. It does save in my Frostwire folder, BUT it then keeps creating more folders. IE: [TOP 40 July 2012] ---> [CD1] ---> [Artist1][Artists2]---> My song.

And to top it off, there are many many (dead) song links that I did not download. I have to go back and delete them all.

How to stop this? Anybody ? Please help, it is driving me nuts!!
frostbyte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby Scott1x » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:29 pm

frostbyte wrote:I don't know why they did this, but it is the most annoying thing. Why does Frostwire auto create folders and sub-folders when I download music? It takes me forever to find them and sort them out the way I like them. Why can't Frostwire just KEEP IT SIMPLE. Like Limewire and most other programs that downloads the files into ONE folder without keep on creating more folders and sub-folders.

This makes it so much more disorganized. When I download a song, it will create a folder and a sub-folder etc. For example. I want to download 'my song'. It does save in my Frostwire folder, BUT it then keeps creating more folders. IE: [TOP 40 July 2012] ---> [CD1] ---> [Artist1][Artists2]---> My song.

And to top it off, there are many many (dead) song links that I did not download. I have to go back and delete them all.

How to stop this? Anybody ? Please help, it is driving me nuts!!

FrostWire creates folders because it maintains the structure of the original data as specified by the torrent. FW is NOT lime wire, is NOT gnutella, but IS a torrent program. That is how torrents work.

There are NO dead songs. Those are partials that were associated with the chunks of songs that you DID want, and torrents download by chunks. You do not have to delete them. All you have to do is cancel the torrent and they will be deleted. Until you cancel the torrent, they are maintained so that the partial data can seed properly.

Read my help pages to get a better understand of torrents. I would almost never request just ONE song when I can get an entire album. You may want to consider selective torrent downloads by clicking on the + sign next to the torrent. I do give techniques for searching for a single item in my help pages.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
User avatar
Scott1x
Moderator
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby frostbyte » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 am

While I understand it is trying to maintain the structure of the tree, in theory it may be a good idea, but in practice, it creates a lot of useless folders, especially if the source I'm downloading from has a large tree structure. For example, I'm just downloading 1 song, yet I have to navigate through 50 folders and sub-folders just to find that song as some people bury the songs deep in their collection. Also, I did not request all the other link of songs - which can be numbered in hundreds - but Frostwire still downloads them. Granted I can go in Frostwire transfer panel and locate the song I want by right-click to explore, this whole process, the act of finding that song, move it to where I want [base directory as where it should've been], and then deleting the whole folder is quite cumbersome. In fact, I usually download 50+ song at once, and you can imagine what kind of a landscape of garbage of folders I get on my computer. To literally go through everyone of them and move that file into where I want is an exercise in frustration to say the least.

Yes, I'm not used to this interface, especially for someone that is very used to Limewire and other types of downloading programs that ignores the tree-structure and just download the song requested. I don't know if this is a physical limitation on Frostwire's part or perhaps it is a legal limitation - all I can do is give you an honest opinion of someone who's been using P2P and other types of downloading programs for over a decade - someone that finds this extremely annoying.

Yes I understand Frostwire is free and it is actually pretty good in what it does and has lots of return-hits. Still, constructive feedback is a good thing. It can only help make it even better. Perhaps make an option where you don't want it to keep the original folder tree structure... Maybe easier said than done, but other programs have done it.
frostbyte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby Scott1x » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:18 pm

frostbyte wrote:While I understand it is trying to maintain the structure of the tree, in theory it may be a good idea, but in practice, it creates a lot of useless folders, especially if the source I'm downloading from has a large tree structure. For example, I'm just downloading 1 song, yet I have to navigate through 50 folders and sub-folders just to find that song as some people bury the songs deep in their collection. Also, I did not request all the other link of songs - which can be numbered in hundreds - but Frostwire still downloads them. Granted I can go in Frostwire transfer panel and locate the song I want by right-click to explore, this whole process, the act of finding that song, move it to where I want [base directory as where it should've been], and then deleting the whole folder is quite cumbersome. In fact, I usually download 50+ song at once, and you can imagine what kind of a landscape of garbage of folders I get on my computer. To literally go through everyone of them and move that file into where I want is an exercise in frustration to say the least.

Yes, I'm not used to this interface, especially for someone that is very used to Limewire and other types of downloading programs that ignores the tree-structure and just download the song requested. I don't know if this is a physical limitation on Frostwire's part or perhaps it is a legal limitation - all I can do is give you an honest opinion of someone who's been using P2P and other types of downloading programs for over a decade - someone that finds this extremely annoying.

Yes I understand Frostwire is free and it is actually pretty good in what it does and has lots of return-hits. Still, constructive feedback is a good thing. It can only help make it even better. Perhaps make an option where you don't want it to keep the original folder tree structure... Maybe easier said than done, but other programs have done it.

I'm sorry, I dropped limewire like a hot rock when I found torrent programs. I'd no sooner go back to that than I would go back to DOS operating system.

No, following directory stucture is NOT a physical or legal imitation or FrostWire. It is the specification of the bittorent protocol. Since many torrents are multiple Gig, ignoring a directory structure would be disastrous. I do remember when bearshare came out around 2001, and there was Napster before that, and before that we'd email CDs to each other or just put stuff on our web pages. Remember Use Groups? They are still alive and well!!!! Of course, most things there are single items, and there is no risk there, either.

On the whole each evolution as been a technical and usability improvement. FrostWire, the bittorent protocol, will NOT ever ignore directory structure. And if it did, most would find a protocol that did not! Think about it: within a directory structure, you can have directories that contain duplicate names. What happens if you ignore the directory structure?

The major actions of FrostWire are dictated by the bittorent protocol, which all torrent programs follow. The user interface is what makes FrostWire, FrostWire. You just don't like the bittorent protocol. You may want to check out use groups. Of course, they are not totally free and it will requires some software, but they do have tremendous variety and DO NOT follow tree structure.

Of course, you can download one element from a torrent with FrostWire, cancel the torrent and everything but the structure leading to the one song will be deleted. If all you want is that one song, you will need to move it to where you want it to go and delete the tree. I often do that anyway don't consider it an issue. I've learned to use the protocol and accommodated to it. Usually, though, the supplied directory structure is fine. Torrent uploaders take pride in what they do, and downloaders share the good one, not the bad ones. It is a self-regulating system.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
User avatar
Scott1x
Moderator
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby Only A Hobo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:26 pm

This complication comes from the fact that Frostwire has gone to great lengths to make it easy to download single files. If you right click on a partial download in the transfer/download window, and choose "show", then you will see only the fully downloaded files from that torrent in the Frostwire Library, and if you use explore in the library, it will take to directly to the file itself in its folder. rather than to the entire torrent folder.

If you choose Cancel torrent in the transfer window, I think I am correct in saying all irrelevant folders from the torrent will be removed. I can not check right now.
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
User avatar
Only A Hobo
Moderator
 
Posts: 8325
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:04 am
Location: Just Visiting

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby frostbyte » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:50 am

Scott1x wrote:FrostWire, the bittorent protocol, will NOT ever ignore directory structure. And if it did, most would find a protocol that did not! Think about it: within a directory structure, you can have directories that contain duplicate names. What happens if you ignore the directory structure?


Limewire solved this problem by
(A) Automatically rename new files with addendum such as (1) or (2), etc.
(B) Prompt you if you would like to write over - this would be the least preferred method.

I'm not saying that Frostwire should ignore structure on the other end. I'm just wondering if there is an option where (the user) on my end, I can ask for the file to be saved in one location, without all the extraneous folders and files that come with it. Obviously other (free or used to be free) software are able to do it, including Napster, Limewire, Shareza and Bearshare, etc, as you've mentioned. But so far I still don't understand what is the difference between these platforms. Whether it is the network or protocol that is different or what have you, I just find it more and more frustrating trying to download mp3's.


Scott1x wrote:The major actions of FrostWire are dictated by the bittorent protocol, which all torrent programs follow. The user interface is what makes FrostWire, FrostWire. You just don't like the bittorent protocol. You may want to check out use groups. Of course, they are not totally free and it will requires some software, but they do have tremendous variety and DO NOT follow tree structure.


So other P2P software do not follow bit-torrent protocol, is that the reason why Frostwire saves the way it does? Is there absolutely no work-around? I'm not trying to destroy the tree-structure of OTHER users, I just don't want MY folder to look like the other users. Also.. sometimes I CAN'T find the file I just downloaded because when I right-click on the file to find its location, I am often greeted with hundreds of folders and sub-folders which I have no idea where the file is buried in. I would have to physically check each folder (and its sub-folder) to find the file I want. And sometimes there are many files with similar names, and there is just noway I can know which file it is so I just give up and delete the whole folder and the file - what a waste of time - then I try to find another file and start over the process, hoping I don't meet similar fate.


Scott1x wrote:Of course, you can download one element from a torrent with FrostWire, cancel the torrent and everything but the structure leading to the one song will be deleted. If all you want is that one song, you will need to move it to where you want it to go and delete the tree. I often do that anyway don't consider it an issue. I've learned to use the protocol and accommodated to it. Usually, though, the supplied directory structure is fine. Torrent uploaders take pride in what they do, and downloaders share the good one, not the bad ones. It is a self-regulating system.


I don't understand you about the part with downloading one element. cancel, etc. When I search for a song, I'm greeted with a list of locations, I usually pick the one with most seed or fastest time. Once I double-click on the file, it automatically start to download (and automatically start to create folders and sub-folders), there are NO prompt for me to cancel or delete other links. I just have to hope that the tree structure is very simple (one level) and there are only 1 file downloaded. BUT most of the time, I get hundreds of folders and hundreds of dead-file names (there is song title but empty file), which I must search through to find the file I want. For example, even if I tell Frostwire to show me the 'explorer' I'm often brought to a folder with 100 songs or 100 folders to search for my file. If that is not more trouble than it is worth, I dunno what is. But for the times that works, it works very well. But I download mostly mp3s and I'm thinking about 30% of my downloads are hassle-free. Rest is exercise in frustration... Just my 2 cents.. Yes I will try to find another software that suits me better. I'm just giving you a reason why I would consider using another program. If developers don't see it as a major issue like I do, then maybe I'm just in the minority and I'll just go on my way.. for better or worse.
frostbyte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby frostbyte » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:05 am

Only A Hobo wrote:This complication comes from the fact that Frostwire has gone to great lengths to make it easy to download single files. If you right click on a partial download in the transfer/download window, and choose "show", then you will see only the fully downloaded files from that torrent in the Frostwire Library, and if you use explore in the library, it will take to directly to the file itself in its folder. rather than to the entire torrent folder.

If you choose Cancel torrent in the transfer window, I think I am correct in saying all irrelevant folders from the torrent will be removed. I can not check right now.



It is easier said then done. As I've mentioned above, sometimes the "show" and "explore" option doesn't work well. For example, the folder it takes me to may contain hundreds of names and only 1 file is real. I would have to sort by file size to find it right away. But I'd have to change properties of my file.. Also, other times I'm taken to a folder with more folders (Under Transfer section and right lick on file and chose explore). The point is, it is going completely backwards vs to what I'm used before. Frostwire may try to make things easier, but in practice it is many times more cumbersome to find files than say other popular protocols before it...
frostbyte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby Scott1x » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 am

frostbyte wrote:
Only A Hobo wrote:If you choose Cancel torrent in the transfer window, I think I am correct in saying all irrelevant folders from the torrent will be removed. I can not check right now.

It is easier said then done. As I've mentioned above, sometimes the "show" and "explore" option doesn't work well. For example, the folder it takes me to may contain hundreds of names and only 1 file is real. I would have to sort by file size to find it right away. But I'd have to change properties of my file.. Also, other times I'm taken to a folder with more folders (Under Transfer section and right lick on file and chose explore). The point is, it is going completely backwards vs to what I'm used before. Frostwire may try to make things easier, but in practice it is many times more cumbersome to find files than say other popular protocols before it...

I have never use FW's show option. The explore option works as it should: It take you to the directory of the download. I have NEVER seen a download where there are hundreds of names and only one is real! I suspect that you are trying to explore BEFORE the torrent is complete, while there are reserved areas still in effect. Don't even try. Wait till the torrent is complete.

And as far as the orphan chunks, when you cancel the torrent they will go away. If you downloaded ONE file, only ONE file will remain. Depending on the torrent, that file may be at the bottom of a tree, but there will only be one. I've used a lot of torrent programs and they all do the same basic thing. Right off the top of my head, I can think of bittorent, uTorrent and vuze. I've used others, but for such a short time that I can recall them. I used uTorrent the longest, until they slopped it up, and as far as I was concerned, destroyed a good program. So, today, and for some time now, I've been using FrostWire.

I don't find it difficult to move the files I want to were I want, when the torrent is complete and has been cancelled.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
User avatar
Scott1x
Moderator
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby frostbyte » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:50 am

Scott1x wrote:I have never use FW's show option. The explore option works as it should: It take you to the directory of the download. I have NEVER seen a download where there are hundreds of names and only one is real! I suspect that you are trying to explore BEFORE the torrent is complete, while there are reserved areas still in effect. Don't even try. Wait till the torrent is complete.

And as far as the orphan chunks, when you cancel the torrent they will go away. If you downloaded ONE file, only ONE file will remain. Depending on the torrent, that file may be at the bottom of a tree, but there will only be one. I've used a lot of torrent programs and they all do the same basic thing. Right off the top of my head, I can think of bittorent, uTorrent and vuze. I've used others, but for such a short time that I can recall them. I used uTorrent the longest, until they slopped it up, and as far as I was concerned, destroyed a good program. So, today, and for some time now, I've been using FrostWire.

I don't find it difficult to move the files I want to were I want, when the torrent is complete and has been cancelled.


No, I wasn't trying to explore before it finished. I made sure the file was finished or else I wouldn't be able to play it let alone cut/move it. And the song has already downloaded because it is showing [100% and seeding]. Typically, there are 5-10 orphan links in the folder along with the song I downloaded when I do use the FW library 'explore' function. When I actually go to that file via desktop and double-click on the saved folder of FW, the old fashion way, it is a complete junkyard. IF I happen to download 40 songs, there will be 40 sub-folders in the FW saved folder. It is one thing if these folders are well-described, but usually they have nothing to do with title of the song I downloaded. In fact, I have NO idea where any song is buried as some people have a long branch - IE just for ONE song I may have to deal with these sub-folders- [Summer 2012] - [Disco] [Techno] [Dance] [Hip-hop]--->[DJ Tiejo] [DJ Alexa] ---> [CD1][CD2][CD3]---> Song1.mp3, Song2.mp3, Song3.mp3, Song4.mp3.

Say my song was Song3.mp3, that is the ONLY file that will play when double-clicked. The other 3 files are dead links and is there, and doesn't just go away after download is complete. It clutters up my hard-drive and a pain to delete (I have to extract my song 1st). It involves MANY MANY clicks of mouse and searching. Something that should be totally unnecessary had FW just download the whole file in ONE directory without all the extra folders/sub-folders that becomes very confusing, if not, utterly useless junk. Sure I can extract the file from FW 'Library' 'explore' option... but I still HAVE to cut/delete and move that file to where I want it BEFORE I can delete the whole useless tree. And THAT'S if I can find that file in the 1st place (Remember, there are many orphan files in the same directory FW takes me to).

I'm not newbie to P2P, I've used from BBS days 2400 baud modem, to AOL, Napster, Limewire, Kazaa, Shareaza, etc, etc. I have used Frostwire before when Limewire was functioning and the reason I kept using LImewire was Frostwire was nowhere the elegance/speed/availability of Limewire. When Limewire went down, I started looking for alternatives and have found Frostwire has improved its interface vs years ago, but STILL, this folder thing leaves little to be desired. In fact, it bothered me so much, out of desperation, and at advice of a friend, I just downloaded a working version of Limewire [Pirate version] - say what you may but the fact it works well, no iffs or buts and there are just as many mp3s (I just checked). Immediately I can download whatever I want in the folder I want without having to deal with the FW tree-structure that IMO is going backwards, NOT forwards. I'm not brand loyal, I don't give a rat's behind who makes it, what it is called, what type of platform, I just want a simple, easy to use program and while I tried to like Frostwire as much as I can, it is NOT simple, it makes my organization of music a NIGHTMARE...so I I'm using Limewire for now because it does exactly what I want. Can you imagine? Downloading a file and it STAYS exactly in the directory I tell it to? No excuses. I can download 100 files and 100 files will be in ONE directory (Without tons of sub-folders)... imagine that..
Last edited by frostbyte on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
frostbyte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby Scott1x » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:17 am

frostbyte wrote:No I wasn't trying to explore before it finished. I made sure the file was finished or else I wouldn't be able to play it or even cut/move it. Typically, there are 5-10 dead links in the folder along with the song I downloaded. And the song has already downloaded [100% and seeding]. When I actually goto that file folder, I have to click 3-4 levels down to find the file, depending again how deep it was buried. Some people have a long branch - IE - [Summer 2012] - [Disco] [Techno] [Dance] [Hip-hop]--->[DJ Tiejo] [DJ Alexa] ---> [CD1][CD2][CD3]---> Song1.mp3, Song2.mp3, Song3.mp3, Song4.mp3.

Say my song was Song3.mp3, that is the ONLY file that will play when doubl-clicked. The other 3 files are dead links and is there, and doesn't just go away after download is complete. In fact I can find it on my hard drive. And I'm telling you, there are instances where I'm taken to a folder, in the folder there are hundreds of sub-folders with my song buried in one of those files. It does NOT go away after download is finished.

Then you have a unique verison of frost wire. I've been using FW since 2008, and I've never seen it do what you're saying. Either that, I think you mentioned a MAC,the MAC doesn't work the way it should.
frostbyte wrote:I'm not newbie to P2P, I've used from BBS days 2400 baud modem, to AOL, Napster, Limewire, Kazaa, Shareaza, etc, etc. I have used Frostwire before when Limewire was functioning and the reason I kept using LImewire was Frostwire was nowhere the elegance/speed/availability of Limewire. When Limewire went down, I started looking for alternatives and have found Frostwire has improved its interface vs years ago, but STILL, this folder thing leaves little to be desired. In fact, it bothered me so much, out of desperation, and at advice of a friend, I just downloaded a working version of Limewire [Pirate version] - say what you may but the fact it works well, no iffs or buts and there are just as many mp3s (I just checked). Immediately I can download whatever I want in the folder I want without having to deal with the FW tree-structure that IMO is going backwards, NOT forwards. I'm not brand loyal, I don't give a rat's behind who makes it, what it is called, what type of platform, I just want a simple, easy to use program and while I tried to like Frostwire as much as I can, it is NOT simple, it makes my organization of music a NIGHTMARE...so I I'm using Limewire for now because it does exactly what I want. Can you imagine? Downloading a file and it STAYS exactly in the directory I tell it to? No excuses. I can download 100 files and 100 files will be in ONE directly... imagine that..

And I had a PC in 1976 and wrote a basic telecommunications program to allow the TRS-80 model 1 to accomplish CompuServe protocol A. What you want would destroy the protocol for others who want to do some serious downloading of entire data sets. It ain't gonna a happen. What you are asking would allow file collisions and make seeding impossible. That is NOT P2P. That is chaos!

Imagine that I download a torrent that contain two "best of" album. It is possible that each album could contain the same song. What happens if the two albums go into one folder?
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
User avatar
Scott1x
Moderator
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby frostbyte » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:36 am

Scott1x wrote:Then you have a unique verison of frost wire. I've been using FW since 2008, and I've never seen it do what you're saying. Either that, I think you mentioned a MAC,the MAC doesn't work the way it should.

And I had a PC in 1976 and wrote a basic telecommunications program to allow the TRS-80 model 1 to accomplish CompuServe protocol A. What you want would destroy the protocol for others who want to do some serious downloading of entire data sets. It ain't gonna a happen. What you are asking would allow file collisions and make seeding impossible. That is NOT P2P. That is chaos!

Imagine that I download a torrent that contain two "best of" album. It is possible that each album could contain the same song. What happens if the two albums go into one folder?



I mentioned my past only to let you know I'm not a clueless newbie with no reference of what I'm talking about. First I downloaded FW directly from the homepage source. And I've given a couple of tries since Limewire went down, each time giving up because of various issues, and now the most bothersome issue is the folder-junkyard problem.

I don't know what you are saying with the two albums into one folder. First, maybe I'm NOT interested in the whole folder. What if I just want ONE song I like from an album or a playlist? Have you ever thought about that? Why would I need to download all the folder and sub-folders of somebody I never met and duplicate it on my computer? It is waste of bandwidth and space. IT is a waste of time for me as I have to go back and delete the folder only AFTER I extract my file from the folder junkyard.

Second of all, IF I were to download an entire album, MOST likely, the person would have zipped it up or compressed it for better handling.

And even if they didn't, and I wanted to download an entire album, I would ASK to download the entire album. Usually, when I search for music, I'm just searching for ONE song only. Why does it need to download the kitchen sink? The link that I double-click on to download shows a 5 meg file, why in the world would a whole album of useless directories and sub-directories and orphan links come with it?

And Finally, most important... I download songs with exact same name all the time from Limewire, Napster, Shareazza, Kazaa... on and on etc... The point is, ALL of them have algorithms for dealing with this when it comes up. THEY JUST RENAME THE REDUNDANT FILE (OR FOLDER IF I CHOSE TO DOWNLOAD WHOLE ALBUM) with (1) after the name. Song.mp3 and Song(1).mp3 and Song(2).mp3... They are all the same song with same exact name but renamed.

As I write now, I'm downloading 100 songs, some are exactly the same, some are different, but it doesn't matter, ALL of it goes in ONE directory. Limewire has NO problem with this. I don't think it is some complicated impossibility that'll cause chaos, I mean I see it working right before my eyes and the P2P world it downloads from is as orderly as FW!

I'm just offering my experience. Take it or leave it. I would hope you see it as something to think about, rather than someone whining about something over nothing.. because the problem is real, and the reason I will not be using FW anytime soon.. not as long as LW [PV] is working for me... Yes FW is best out there when there is nothing out there... but being one of few bottle-water seller in the desert doesn't mean the product can't be improved. IF it is technically impossible, then excuse my ignorance.. but since LW can do it, I will just leave my ignorance behind and use what works for me.
frostbyte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby Scott1x » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 am

Since what you want would destroy your ability to seed and share, and the community does not benefit from 100% leechers, we will not be disturbed if you continue to use gnutella.

And Finally, most important... I download songs with exact same name all the time from Limewire, Napster, Shareazza, Kazaa... on and on etc... The point is, ALL of them have algorithms for dealing with this when it comes up. THEY JUST RENAME THE REDUNDANT FILE (OR FOLDER IF I CHOSE TO DOWNLOAD WHOLE ALBUM) with (1) after the name. Song.mp3 and Song(1).mp3 and Song(2).mp3... They are all the same song with same exact name but renamed.

That destroys the torrent. You really haven't figured out what a torrent is, have you?

FrostWire does every thing you have requested except destroy the directory structure and obviate your ability to seed.

I will happily bid you good bye.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
User avatar
Scott1x
Moderator
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby frostbyte » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Scott1x wrote:Since what you want would destroy your ability to seed and share, and the community does not benefit from 100% leechers, we will not be disturbed if you continue to use gnutella.

And Finally, most important... I download songs with exact same name all the time from Limewire, Napster, Shareazza, Kazaa... on and on etc... The point is, ALL of them have algorithms for dealing with this when it comes up. THEY JUST RENAME THE REDUNDANT FILE (OR FOLDER IF I CHOSE TO DOWNLOAD WHOLE ALBUM) with (1) after the name. Song.mp3 and Song(1).mp3 and Song(2).mp3... They are all the same song with same exact name but renamed.

That destroys the torrent. You really haven't figured out what a torrent is, have you?

FrostWire does every thing you have requested except destroy the directory structure and obviate your ability to seed.

I will happily bid you good bye.


Wow, making accusations before you even know me. Last defense of the ....

FYI, I leave on my Limewire/FW (when I used to use it) most of the day when I'm at work, so I'm hardly 'leeching' here. At any given time, whatever files I downloaded, it is being seeded and I give back more than I take. If this 'destroys' ability to seed/share, then by definition and logic, LW seed/search system wouldn't be functioning now, let alone for many years. As recently as last night, I have NO PROBLEMS finding any files on LW that I can also find on FW - in fact, there are files that I can find on LW that I CAN'T find on FW - that should clue you in how paranoid you are about your unfounded fear about this destroying ability to seed/destroying tree structure. It works for other platforms that uses similar networks, so why knock it with convoluted explanations that makes no sense in reality? So instead of dealing with what seems to be a drawback in FW, you accuse me of leaching, why? Because I dare to point out my experience of using FW vs LW and others?? Face it, LW uses a better interface, that's why it doesn't have the issue with 'destroying structure'. I know what a torrent is, but I also know some programs deal with it much better than others. If this is a FW fanboy site where emperor has no clothes (and it is turning out to be that way), then so be it. What a waste of time to come here and share my experience as it is obviously to me the only experience that is worthy to you are glowing reviews of FW... Like I said I could care less, take it or leave it. Necessity is mother of all inventions and it will be only a matter of time before someone face the problems and gets it right.. It has been done before... so it is hardly something that needs to be reinvented.
frostbyte
Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby Scott1x » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:52 pm

frostbyte wrote:
Scott1x wrote:Since what you want would destroy your ability to seed and share, and the community does not benefit from 100% leechers, we will not be disturbed if you continue to use gnutella.

And Finally, most important... I download songs with exact same name all the time from Limewire, Napster, Shareazza, Kazaa... on and on etc... The point is, ALL of them have algorithms for dealing with this when it comes up. THEY JUST RENAME THE REDUNDANT FILE (OR FOLDER IF I CHOSE TO DOWNLOAD WHOLE ALBUM) with (1) after the name. Song.mp3 and Song(1).mp3 and Song(2).mp3... They are all the same song with same exact name but renamed.

That destroys the torrent. You really haven't figured out what a torrent is, have you?

FrostWire does every thing you have requested except destroy the directory structure and obviate your ability to seed.

I will happily bid you good bye.


Wow, making accusations before you even know me. Last defense of the....

FYI, I leave on my Limewire/FW (when I used to use it) most of the day when I'm at work, so I'm hardly 'leeching' here. At any given time, whatever files I downloaded, it is being seeded and I give back more than I take. If this 'destroys' ability to seed/share, then by definition and logic, LW wouldn't be functioning now, let alone for many years. As recently as last night, I have NO PROBLEMS finding any files on LW that I can also find on FW - in fact, there are files that I can find on LW that I CAN'T find on FW - that should clue you in how paranoid you are about your unfounded fear about this destroying ability to seed/destroy tree structure. It works, why knock it with convoluted explanations that makes no sense in reality? So instead of dealing with what seems to be a drawback in FW, you accuse me of leaching, why? Because I pointed out my experience of using FW vs LW?? Face it, LW uses a better interface, that's why it doesn't have the issue with 'destroying structure'. I know what a torrent is, but I also know some programs deal with it much better than others. If this is a FW fanboy site where emperor has no clothes (and it is turning out to be that way), then so be it. What a waste of time to come here and share my experience as it is obviously to me the only experience that is worthy to you are glowing reviews of FW... Like I said I could care less, take it or leave it. Necessity is mother of all inventions and it will be only a matter of time before someone face the problems and gets it right.. It has been done before... so it is hardly something new...

NO! You are not comprehending what a torrent is. IF, as you suggested, it load into one folder and rename, you could NOT share and you would be a leech.

Get a freaking clue!
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
User avatar
Scott1x
Moderator
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am

Re: How to stop Frostwire from creating folders

Postby Scott1x » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Enough of this.
It's going nowhere.
Thread locked.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
User avatar
Scott1x
Moderator
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 am


Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests