Frostwire freezing immediatly

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:
Mput

Frostwire freezing immediatly

Postby Mput » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:21 pm

I am running Win7 with the newest versions of java and frostwire but every time (this has been happening for some time) I attempt to run Frostwire the main screen opens and either freezes or lags so badly that I have to force close the window. Any help available?

Scott1x

Re: Frostwire freezing immediatly

Postby Scott1x » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Mput wrote:I am running Win7 with the newest versions of java and frostwire but every time (this has been happening for some time) I attempt to run Frostwire the main screen opens and either freezes or lags so badly that I have to force close the window. Any help available?

The basic check list for FrostWire problems include:
DO check java, the fire wall, and any security programs you may have running.

Insure FrostWire is completely terminated, and go into the windows fire wall advanced>inbound rules and delete all references to FrostWire. What we want to do is force windows to ask for connect permission on the next execution. That way, all of the parameters should be correct. If you are using some other firewall, do what it takes to force it back to it's original state, relative to FrostWire so that you can get a clean start.

If you have some other firewall or security center,(such as McAfee Security Center or zone alarm, etc.) make sure that it's allowing FrostWire, also make sure your virus program or malware monitors are not killing it.
NOW: (for Win7. Other systems will have similar files)
    From file explorer, navigate to use c:\users\YourAccount
    (assuming your system drive is c:\") and delete the folder: .frostwire5
Restart FrostWire and be alert for any error indications.

That may get you going.

Mput

Postby Mput » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks Scott1x, I did everything you asked, relaunched Frostwire and it immediately became non-responsive again.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Mput wrote:Thanks Scott1x, I did everything you asked, relaunched Frostwire and it immediately became non-responsive again.

When you say non-responsive, do you mean it totally freezes and you have to task manager abort it?

Be a precise as possible.

Mput

Postby Mput » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Yes, the main window and the pop-up about free stickers freeze. None of the buttons on my Frostwire will respond nor will the search box. I usually have to close it via the task manager but, on rare occasion, the close button does work. Once I was able to type in the search box but when I attempted to start the search it froze up.

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Mput wrote:Yes, the main window and the pop-up about free stickers freeze. None of the buttons on my Frostwire will respond nor will the search box. I usually have to close it via the task manager but, on rare occasion, the close button does work. Once I was able to type in the search box but when I attempted to start the search it froze up.

This is sounding more an more like a java problem.
Here is a portable version of Revo: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... r_portable
Use this to uninstall Java and frostwire. Do the delete .frostwire5 thing again.
In order:
reinstall java: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Reinstall a fresh download of FrostWire http://frostwire.com
Observe carefully the progress of the install and no NOT accept the ask tool bar... let's keep this simple.
When it starts, note its progress. Before you do anything, go to tools>options and look at EVERYTHING.
If you don't understand what you are seeing, nod and move on, but you may see something you'd like to change. If so, do it.

When that is done, uncheck all search engines except TPB and ISOhunt.
Make sure only torrent search type is on.
Enter ubuntu in the search box and click the magnifying glass.
Make sure you have the upper half of the search window visible.
Do you get hits?
Can you download, in other words, what has happened?

Mput

Postby Mput » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm

did everything you said opened Frostwire and went to check out the options tab. Nothing. Frozen in it's tracks

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Mput wrote:did everything you said opened Frostwire and went to check out the options tab. Nothing. Frozen in it's tracks

Then I will have to say that the problem is not FrostWire. Somewhere, on your system, something is blocking it. It could be a virus, malware, or an ad blocker or even registry protection program of some sort.

Unless you find what it is, FrostWire will not be an option for you.

The_Fox

Postby The_Fox » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Still freezing? Hrm
Can we have some specs about your system please?
Do you know how much RAM you have in your PC/Laptop. Do you happen to know what processor? It's okay if you don't; you can just go to Start(Windows Icon)> My computer, and it'll tell you on the bottom of the window.
Just for confirmation, did you download the latest java and frostwire, following Scott1x's steps.

alaylanna

Postby alaylanna » Thu May 16, 2013 11:58 pm

I am having the same problem with frostwire. I did everything you guys asked the last person to do and im still having a problem with it freezing and lagging. It just started doing this all of sudden. I havent had any problems using it since i started using it months ago. Ive reinstalled frostwire and java. Everything is up to date. I dont have any firewalls up but I did delete all refrences in the advance settings of the windows firewall just to be safe. It cant be this other persons computer problem if were both having the same problem. Im not having any other issues with my computer. This problem just started a week ago. My computer is only a few months old. Im quite computer savy but this problem is driving me crazy. Please Help!!!

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Fri May 17, 2013 12:55 am

alaylanna wrote:I am having the same problem with frostwire. I did everything you guys asked the last person to do and im still having a problem with it freezing and lagging. It just started doing this all of sudden. I havent had any problems using it since i started using it months ago. Ive reinstalled frostwire and java. Everything is up to date. I dont have any firewalls up but I did delete all refrences in the advance settings of the windows firewall just to be safe. It cant be this other persons computer problem if were both having the same problem. Im not having any other issues with my computer. This problem just started a week ago. My computer is only a few months old. Im quite computer savy but this problem is driving me crazy. Please Help!!!

You posted to a year old thread that is no longer relevant to the current version of FrostWire. Lets start from the beginning.
Here is the current check list: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/CheckList.html
Please DO NOT run on the internet with no firewalls! That is a disaster waiting to happen.
You NEED a firewall and it needs to pass FrostWire.

Please indicate your -
    Operating system:
    FrostWire Level Number:
    If this is an upgrade, from what level:
    Virus Checker:
    Fire Wall:
    Are you behind a router:
    Using a proxy or VPN:
    Type of internet connection:
    Problem Description:
Make sure, if you have one, that the router is allowing the FrostWire port and/or set for UPnP
Describe, in as much detail as you can, the nature of your problem, errors, messages, what does or does not happen, etc:

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Fri May 17, 2013 11:28 am

alaylanna wrote:I dont have any firewalls up but I did delete all refrences in the advance settings of the windows firewall just to be safe.

OMIGOSH!!!! I'll bet you enjoy unsafe sex, too?
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

alaylanna

Postby alaylanna » Sat May 18, 2013 11:14 am

I have the firewalls back up but I have teh savy friend who is an expert except he knows nothing about frostwire because he uses Utorrent but he said Firewalls are a joke. and explained to me why i should take it down. This guy is a genius but like I said he has never used frostwire. AND NO I DONT HAVE UNSAFE SEX because Im married and that was tottaly inapropiate. Anyways my firewall is back up. I have Windows 8. i have a MSI computer with 8g ram I 7 core with a processor speed of 2.4 its a quad core. 64 bit. I cant remember what else you asked for. I have internet , its broadband of 16megs of speed. I dont anything about proxy and NO my router is not blocking it because like I said it was working then all of a sudden one day it started having problems. It still keeps downloading but its frozne when i try to press the buttons and for example it will say 67% but if exit out using task manager and then reopen it it will say 100% so i know its still downloading even though its freezing. I have Avast Antivirus. I have the latest frostwire. It lags and when I try to click the up an down button to scroll through the downloads it freezes or lags and it keeps opening up a new frostwire everytime i click to download something in frostwire then i end up with like 4 frostwire window open. this never happen before it just started one day. Ive had no problems until a couple of weeks ago. Give or take a few days

Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 am

alaylanna wrote:I have the firewalls back up but I have teh savy friend who is an expert except he knows nothing about frostwire because he uses Utorrent but he said Firewalls are a joke. and explained to me why i should take it down. This guy is a genius but like I said he has never used frostwire. AND NO I DONT HAVE UNSAFE SEX because Im married and that was tottaly inapropiate. Anyways my firewall is back up. I have Windows 8. i have a MSI computer with 8g ram I 7 core with a processor speed of 2.4 its a quad core. 64 bit. I cant remember what else you asked for. I have internet , its broadband of 16megs of speed. I dont anything about proxy and NO my router is not blocking it because like I said it was working then all of a sudden one day it started having problems. It still keeps downloading but its frozne when i try to press the buttons and for example it will say 67% but if exit out using task manager and then reopen it it will say 100% so i know its still downloading even though its freezing. I have Avast Antivirus. I have the latest frostwire. It lags and when I try to click the up an down button to scroll through the downloads it freezes or lags and it keeps opening up a new frostwire everytime i click to download something in frostwire then i end up with like 4 frostwire window open. this never happen before it just started one day. Ive had no problems until a couple of weeks ago. Give or take a few days

First of all, firewalls are NOT a joke! They are almost an absolute necessity to keeping your machine from being corrupted or conscripted. I'd strongly recommend that you recheck his IQ. If he told you that, his shoe size could be larger!!!

Now, IP blockers are worthless for torrent security. I would agree with that.

Generally speaking, software does not suddenly just stop working. IF you were running w/o a firewall DO do a complete virus check, a malware check and use more than one of each checker. You could have been hit by a driveby virus or malware. FrostWire did not suddenly go bad on your machine. That does not happen. SOMETHING happened, and it wasn't FrostWire.

Have you added any new software? How about new hardware? What has changed?

Have you performed a reboot? That can sometimes solve a lot of problems.

If all of that is good:
The basic check list for FrostWire problems include:
Latest Version of FrostWire http://frostwire.com
Firewall allowing FrostWire
Router allowing ports and/or set for UPnP
DO check the fire wall, and any security programs you may have running.

Insure FrostWire is completely terminated
Uninstall Frostwire. Download the latest version from http://frostwire.com

Go into the windows fire wall advanced>inbound rules and delete all references to FrostWire. What we want to do is force windows to ask for connect permission on the next execution. That way, all of the parameters should be correct. If you are using some other firewall, do what it takes to force it back to it's original state, relative to FrostWire so that you can get a clean start.

If you have some other firewall or security center,(such as McAfee Security Center or zone alarm, etc.) make sure that it's allowing FrostWire, also make sure your virus program or malware monitors are not killing it.
NOW: (for Win7. Other systems will have similar files)
    From file explorer, navigate to use c:\users\YourAccount
    (assuming your system drive is c:\) and delete the folder: .frostwire5
    This forces a reinitialization of FrostWire, so you will have to answer the setup questions.
Reinstall the newly downloaded version and hope for the best.
Restart FrostWire and be alert for any error indications.

Zooky

Postby Zooky » Sat May 18, 2013 12:02 pm

alaylanna wrote: AND NO I DONT HAVE UNSAFE SEX because Im married and that was tottaly inapropiate.

I really do not think of it as being inappropriate because running without a firewall is tantamount to having unsafe sex. I am happy to see that you have your firewall back up. NEVER let anyone tell you to take it down again!
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

Return to “FrostWire Desktop Technical Support”