Music audio files do not play

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Music audio files do not play

Postby JJ40 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi,

I have just downloaded Frostwire. When I try to play a song I have downloaded it asks me to download x3codec, which I did and installed, but it still says the same thing. I closed and reopened Frostwire but it still asks me to install X3codec. I am not a very computer savvy person so will sincerely appreciate help in simple terms that I can follow. Thank you so much!!
JJ40

Re: Music audio files do not play

Postby Scott1x » Thu May 10, 2012 5:57 pm

JJ40 wrote:Hi,

I have just downloaded Frostwire. When I try to play a song I have downloaded it asks me to download x3codec, which I did and installed, but it still says the same thing. I closed and reopened Frostwire but it still asks me to install X3codec. I am not a very computer savvy person so will sincerely appreciate help in simple terms that I can follow. Thank you so much!!

Try playing it with VLC. If that doesn't work then:
Basically, trash that copy and download a different one from a different torrent. Odds are that it's a scam.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
Scott1x

Postby Only A Hobo » Thu May 10, 2012 6:37 pm

If any download asks you to install that codec it is definitely a scam - avoid and try for a different download
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Postby JJ40 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:12 am

Thank you so much! I have now downloaded an alternate copy and it's perfect. Now when I try to delete the bad ones they won't be deleted coz it says they are being used by another program? Is this a trojan? Have I compromised my comp? It sucks not knowing much about comps. Please help, how can I make sure I have nothing malicious in my machine? Also could you guide me how I could choose the right torrent? Any markers to go by? And, one more question: how do I interpret 'source' and 'extention'?

Big thanks!

P.S. I just downloaded another song with the same message about codec. They do not have anything different about them in the search results for me to filter them. How do I avoid these?
JJ40

Postby JJ40 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:14 am

Please disregard the new thread. I was posting a reply to my thread and it got posted as a new thread. Admins please delete.
JJ40

Postby Scott1x » Fri May 11, 2012 3:58 am

JJ40 wrote:Thank you so much! I have now downloaded an alternate copy and it's perfect. Now when I try to delete the bad ones they won't be deleted coz it says they are being used by another program? Is this a trojan? Have I compromised my comp? It sucks not knowing much about comps. Please help, how can I make sure I have nothing malicious in my machine? Also could you guide me how I could choose the right torrent? Any markers to go by? And, one more question: how do I interpret 'source' and 'extention'?

Big thanks!

P.S. I just downloaded another song with the same message about codec. They do not have anything different about them in the search results for me to filter them. How do I avoid these?

It's probably not a concern. Just cancel that torrent, and you should be able to delete them from your file manager. As long as the file has a torrent in the transfer window, it is considered in use.

There is no way to know a file is bad when you are downloading it. My policy is to never download anything that has a .rar extension. Other than that, you get such a request, get the hell out of there!!!!! Fast. Delete torrent and remove data.... get if off of your system. Then find another one, and hope it's good!
Scott1x

Postby JJ40 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:20 am

Thanks Scott1x. Problem is, I have already downloaded it, and in torrents I cannot figure out which ones are the bad ones as they are not the same heading/title . How do I figure out the ones I want to delete?
JJ40

Postby Scott1x » Fri May 11, 2012 4:33 am

JJ40 wrote:Thanks Scott1x. Problem is, I have already downloaded it, and in torrents I cannot figure out which ones are the bad ones as they are not the same heading/title . How do I figure out the ones I want to delete?

Not really a big problem. First you have to know where your download folder is.
Your download directory is specified in tools>options>Bittorent Torrent save folder.
Make a note of this and terminate, completely, FrostWire.
Use your system file manager to navigate to that folder and delete any file you wish. Once Frost wire is terminated, they should no longer be in use.
When you restart frost wire, you will get an error on those torrents. Cancel and remove torrent.
That should solve the problem.
Scott1x

Postby JJ40 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:59 am

Okay, this will sound stupid, but I will ask you:

I have found where the files are being stored, and I opened the c files and went to a folder named .frostwire5. Should I delete this entire folde?
JJ40

Postby JJ40 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:19 am

HOLY COW! I just started Frostwire and there are 630 finished downloads in my library? What's going on? I had downloaded a total of 4...I am a bit freaked out :shock:
JJ40

Postby Scott1x » Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 pm

JJ40 wrote:Okay, this will sound stupid, but I will ask you:

I have found where the files are being stored, and I opened the c files and went to a folder named .frostwire5. Should I delete this entire folde?

No, for your problem, there is no reason to touch that folder. All I mentioned was you the bittorent data save folder. That should NOT be it.
Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 pm

JJ40 wrote:HOLY COW! I just started Frostwire and there are 630 finished downloads in my library? What's going on? I had downloaded a total of 4...I am a bit freaked out :shock:

A single torrent can contain hundreds of files. It's wise to screen by torrent download size and contents to make sure you are getting what you want. OF course if you get something you don't want, you can delete it.

Have you read my help pages - see link below.
Scott1x

Postby JJ40 » Fri May 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks again Scott1x. I will read your help pages now. Out of those 631 songs, only the ones that I have downloaded play. Some others play in bits and pieces. I don't quite understand it. I used to use Ares earlier and the whole process was fairly simple. And I NEVER had 630 songs out of nowhere.
JJ40

Postby Scott1x » Fri May 11, 2012 5:29 pm

JJ40 wrote:Thanks again Scott1x. I will read your help pages now. Out of those 631 songs, only the ones that I have downloaded play. Some others play in bits and pieces. I don't quite understand it. I used to use Ares earlier and the whole process was fairly simple. And I NEVER had 630 songs out of nowhere.

Okay! The bits and pieces are characteristic of a partial torrent download. If you cancel the torrent, they will go away. Torrents send and receive chunks of data. Sometimes what we want is bundled with what is unwanted. The program WILL clean up after itself, but you do have to close the torrent first!

Hang in there, and I should add this information to my help pages... You are not the only one to ask this.
Scott1x

Postby Zooky » Fri May 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Scott1x wrote:Hang in there, and I should add this information to my help pages... You are not the only one to ask this.

While you're at it. I find the last comment you make in your excellent guide, on partial downloads, to be a bit confusing. That is: "The only thing you need to do is cancel the torrent, and they will go away. "

But, it will keep the target files?
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz
Zooky

Next

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support