Cannot uninstall ASK toolbar/Google Chrome

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Cannot uninstall ASK toolbar/Google Chrome

Postby HockeyShark » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Using Windows 7 Professional, Google Chrome. All browser windows are closed, yet I cannot uninstall Ask nor can I get it from defaulting Ask.com as my browser. I have now wasted an hour of my precious time trying to uninstall this stupid toolbar and restore my default browser internet home page to Google.com. The uninstaller keeps on telling me to close Google.com, which I have already done time and time again, but the stupid "Close Google Chrome" message keeps popping up and the uninstall is incomplete. I think this is a really lousy way to shove Ask down people's throats, and yet one more reason I will NEVER use this malicious browser. Unfortunately, I cannot go to the system restore point where it was installed because I had Windows Update installation issues that had to be resolved at this same point, and had to do a "hotfix" install to get critical security updates, something that took me days to complete. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET RID OF EVERYTHING RELATED TO ASK...and don't tell me to use the uninstall, it DOES NOT WORK. Thank you :(((((((
HockeyShark

Re: Cannot uninstall ASK toolbar/Google Chrome

Postby HockeyShark » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Ok, so now I have resolved the default browser issue, but I still cannot uninstall ASK toolbar from my programs. Still hangs up with "close all Google Chrome windows and click OK to continue"...malicious program, like a bad virus. Went so far as to uninstall Frostwire (program that put it on my computer in the first place) but even that did not remove the stupid ASK toolbar from my programs list. BAD BUSINESS. REALLY BAD BUSINESS. Not only do I now hate Ask, but now I won't be using Frostwire any more either. Not a great way to keep peer networking clean at all. And here I was worried about corrupt torrents...
HockeyShark

Postby Scott1x » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:10 am

HockeyShark wrote:Ok, so now I have resolved the default browser issue, but I still cannot uninstall ASK toolbar from my programs. Still hangs up with "close all Google Chrome windows and click OK to continue"...malicious program, like a bad virus. Went so far as to uninstall Frostwire (program that put it on my computer in the first place) but even that did not remove the stupid ASK toolbar from my programs list. BAD BUSINESS. REALLY BAD BUSINESS. Not only do I now hate Ask, but now I won't be using Frostwire any more either. Not a great way to keep peer networking clean at all. And here I was worried about corrupt torrents...

I found that the ask tool bar had two components on my Win7 system using Firefox. I had to get rid of the addon from Firefox - easy AND I had to uninstall the ask elements from the control panel. If you have problems use the Revo Uninstaller.

Here is a portable version of Revo: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... r_portable

Once I figured out what to do, it was easy and did remove cleanly.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
Scott1x

Postby Zooky » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:59 am

HockeyShark wrote:Not only do I now hate Ask, but now I won't be using Frostwire any more either.

I'll probably be boiled in oil by the FW folks for telling you this but what the heck.

When you install FW it quietly asks in you want to do standard or custom install. If you leave "standard" checked you'll get the ASK toolbar but if you check "Custom" you have the ability to uncheck the ASK toolbar. This will then cause the FW install to ask if you really meant that and you can answer "Yes".
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz
Zooky

Postby Scott1x » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am

AND all you really have to do is uncheck that you agree to the terms, and the other two checks go away too. I tried the ask bar, but I just have other ways of doing things. It's not horrible, but, for me, it was just additional clutter in a space that I needed. I don't hate it. I just find no need for it with the way I do things. I have NO objection to being offered the choice.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
Scott1x

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support