Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin

Kick Starting FrostWire....

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

Kick Starting FrostWire....

Postby Scott1x » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:29 pm

When I first load FrostWire, If I'm not downloading, it says seeding on the torrents, but I never get a connection. IF I start a download and kill it, the other torrents will start to seed. Do I need to port forward some port to get it going in a seed only mode?

Ver 5.2.9
Scott1x

Re: Kick Starting FrostWire....

Postby THX1138 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Yes, you would need an open external port for the torrents to seed properly, upnp is enabled in frostwire, but off by default in a majority of routers - i prefer the manual route personally - you can do either to achieve the same goal.
THX1138

Postby Scott1x » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Tried the manual forward, but FW would not accept and use my port settings. It seems to be using 10520, I could open 10520, but I'd rather use another port that I already have open. Upnp is enabled on my router and is showing as active, but of course you need outgoing traffic to open it. In seed only mode, it looks like I'm not getting any outgoing traffic to trigger the ports. I haven't tried opening 10520, yet, but since that was nowhere mentioned, and I can seed by starting and killing a download, I sort put that on a back burner. I'll try to get to that test a little later from now.

Thank you for the response.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:14 pm

I just opened port 10520 and started FW and it started sending to the seeds almost instantly.

NO where can I find this documented.

What am I missing, here?
Scott1x

Postby gubatron » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:53 am

Maybe you just found a bug, we'll look into this.

Thanks for reporting this possible issue.
Opened a ticket on the bug tracker

https://bitbucket.org/frostwire/frostwi ... -be-broken

You can follow up progress of this issue there. We'll probably work on it during the weekend or this next week.

If any coder would like to submit a patch, the procedure is:

https://bitbucket.org/frostwire/frostwire.desktop/

> Fork the project on bitbucket.
> Clone the repository into your computer
> Start a new branch with a name related to the issue you're fixing.
> Code, commmit, Code, commit
> When you're done, push the changes back to bitbucket
> Send a pull request to our project.

We'll revise the patch and merge it in if everything looks good.
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android
gubatron
Development Team

Postby Scott1x » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:23 am

Thank you. I'll keep an eye one it.
Scott1x

Postby gubatron » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:34 pm

We tested this under several home networking configurations and we could replicate this issue only under a specific network configuration. (Router -> Wireless Router as Bridge -> Computer)

Manual port forwarding and UPnP forwarding should work for most configurations, however we know that it could be an issue with older router implementations of UPnP, for which we recommend that you keep an up to date firmware for your router.

It'd be great @Scott1x if you are comfortable with sharing with us what's the exact network configuration that you have, maybe we'll be able to spot what the issue is which we're now suspecting could be solved by tweaking a few configuration flags on your router(s).
gubatron
Development Team

Postby Scott1x » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 am

My configuration is a netopia router to the internet from my ISP. My home/wireless/wired router is a netgear wnr2000v3, latest flash.

The computer running frost wire is hardwired to the netgear. I set manual forward in frostwire to 16800 and forwarded that port. Nothing unless it "kickstart" it.

I looked at the line and say that 10520 was getting action so I forward that. Magic!!!! It now works with out kickstarting.

Apparently my attempt at downloading triggers upnp but if I'm not downloading, there is no outgoing, so it does not get triggered and the port forward of 16800 and the use of it in the config screen does nothing.
Scott1x

Postby THX1138 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:20 am

Your set up is what's known as a double NAT, you will have to configure the portforward in both routers for the external communications to have a clear path through both routers to your machine.
THX1138

Postby Scott1x » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:43 am

THX1138 wrote:Your set up is what's known as a double NAT, you will have to configure the portforward in both routers for the external communications to have a clear path through both routers to your machine.

The router from the ISP is wide open. There are no ports blocked and it utilizes my outside IP. I cannot change the port that FW uses, as the setup screen would suggest. Where does port 10520 come from???? When I port forward it, everything works fine.

I also have no problem with other torrent programs.
Scott1x

Postby gubatron » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:56 am

10520 looks like a random port chosen by the Azureus core to punch a UPnP hole on your router, which is the default setting (Automatic UPnP port forwarding) which works perfect for us.

To change your port (which I assume you did because you said it works, but I'll leave here for others reading):

Tools > Options > Advanced > Firewall > Manual Port Forward

Just tried it here and works just fine. Just make sure your router is sending all traffic going in and out of that port number into the IP of your FrostWire host.
gubatron
Development Team

Postby Scott1x » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:09 pm

gubatron wrote:10520 looks like a random port chosen by the Azureus core to punch a UPnP hole on your router, which is the default setting (Automatic UPnP port forwarding) which works perfect for us.

To change your port (which I assume you did because you said it works, but I'll leave here for others reading):

No, I said that if I forward 10520 it works fine. The port forward settings in the set up options are totally ignored and that port is unused. That is not random. That is 100% of the time.
Scott1x

Postby Scott1x » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Latest release fixes everything, here.
Scott1x

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support