Postby sp33dd14l » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:55 am

Microsoft Windows XP SP3
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
4300 @ 1.80GHz
1.80GHz, 3.25GB of RAM
Running current Version 5 of Frostwire with Java
Internet : Mweb ADSL
Router : Billion w40

First time user,it seems to be downloading...however it looks very slow taking into account my connection type. Down Speed 10-13 KB/s Up Speed 3-6 KB/s. I have also added the Java application that supposedly allows Frostwire to run faster.Might there be some settings that are not correct???
sp33dd14l

Re: Very slow downloads

Postby pillowpantslol » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:05 pm

It's probably because you are trying to download a torrent that has few seeds, always choose the files near the top for the best speed. 0 seeds means you can't download it at all.
pillowpantslol

Postby Zooky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:02 am

pillowpantslol wrote:It's probably because you are trying to download a torrent that has few seeds

That's not necessarily so. I ran some tests where there were AT LEAST 50 seeds. My network speed is 50M but when I tried d/l'ng those torrents the best I could get is 100KBs. Surely some of those seeders had higher bandwidth available than 100KBs? I know that networking stuff is VERY complex but everything else that I run on net travels with a speed of AT LEAST 35MBs. I'm still scratching my head over why FW seems to be so sluggish in that area.
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz
Zooky

Postby Zooky » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:54 am

Zooky wrote:
pillowpantslol wrote:It's probably because you are trying to download a torrent that has few seeds

That's not necessarily so. I ran some tests where there were AT LEAST 50 seeds.

Hmmm, I did some further testing and have found an interesting variation on a theme. I tried d/l'ng some things that only had a few seeds but rather large (10GB or more) in size. Expecting that, at just a few KBs, it would take FOREVER to d/l them especially since there were only a few seeds. Much to my surprise they had a MUCH larger KB rate then d/l'ng something with just a few MBs. Am I'm I satisfied with the speed? Nope, just noted that there seems to be a correlation to size of Torrent and speed of d/l.
1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz
Zooky

Postby iamunanimous » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:53 pm

The speed at which a download takes place is limited by both the bandwidth of the downloader and by the bandwidth of the uploader. A file cannot by transferred faster than the uploader is capable of sending it, nor can it be transferred faster than the downloader is capable of receiving it. If you have a T1 Internet connection and you are trying to download a file from a person with a 56K modem, your transfer is going to take place rather slowly. Furthermore, some clients limit the speed at which they will upload files for the sake of saving bandwidth
iamunanimous

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support