Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin

downloading error

Have a question :?: We'd love to help you find the answer :!:

downloading error

Postby dakwijibo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:50 pm

I have looked through things here on the forum and read numerous posts. Can't seem to find any one else with tthe same thing. I get an error when I d/l a torrent i.e. Error: Disk read error-Open fails, File not found: O:\itunes\Automatically add to iTunes\.....(which ever particular file it is)

This can happen at the beginning or even at the end of the d/l when I reach 99%. Sometimes when I hit 99% and all I have left is like 3 MB in the transfer, I get the error. But the songs are all there in iTunes.

Lately I have found that some of the songs are not complete. D/l them and go to play them and only get about 30 seconds into the song before it goes to the next.

I know this is alot to digest. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Windows Vista Business 32-bit SP2
Intel Core 2 DUO E8400 3.0 Ghz
4.0 GB Ram
750 Gb HDD
dakwijibo

Re: downloading error

Postby Only A Hobo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Please confirm you are using Frostwire 5.1.5

What is the path to your Torrent Data Save folder? (Tools > Options > BitTorrent > (Basic) > Torrent Data Save Folder)?

Are you just downloading complete torrents or are some partial torrents, and do the problems exist with Full or partial Torrents, or both?
Please do not Private Message me with questions that can equally well be posted in the forums, and may also help others. Do use the forum search.
Only A Hobo

Postby gubatron » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:13 pm

That error is supposed to be shown when the files have been moved or when FrostWire can't read (permission errors)

Judging by the drive letter (O:\) if this is some sort of external drive FrostWire can't read from it, maybe it goes into some sort of power saving mode after a long time.

Can you try downloading the files to the main drive instead (default save folder) and then moving them over to see if the problem occurs?

If the problem doesn't occur then my theory might be correct and we can check what the hell is going on.
Got Android? Try the new FrostWire for Android
http://frostwire.com/android
gubatron
Development Team

Postby dakwijibo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Its been a bit since I have been able to get on the computer.

Only A Hobo:
Yes the current version is 5.1.5 with Java 1.6.0_26

Current Torrent Data Save folder is O:\iTunes Master\Automatically add to iTunes\

I have been d/l a mixture of both complete and partial torrents and yes it does happen with both

gubatron:

On my 750 GB drive I have 3 partitions set up.
C:\ is my main drive
O:\ is where I decide to put all of my music so it would be in one folder. Was hoping to make that the central folder on the computer so my wife could have access but she had to be dificult about it.
P:\ just has old files on there

There is no correlation with the letters, it is just what I happened to choose.

I ran out of room on my C:\ which is why I moved stuff to O:\

Update:
I was able to d/l 797 MB of a discography and no problems. This after I changed to the default download setting. Sometimes the files that stop will be like .3MB short yet I will still be able to get the whole album. On some of them I am unchecking the files that say where they are d/l from.
dakwijibo

Postby gubatron » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:09 am

oh, I think that's the issue then, maybe changing the default download location during the middle of the download threw FrostWire off, we need to see what FrostWire is doing wrong that's not handling that case, thanks for explaining. I'll try to replicate now to see if that's actually what happened.

This is also aligned with something we want to add, to allow you to change the download location of any individual transfer while it's being downloaded.
gubatron
Development Team

Postby dakwijibo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:29 pm

So far so good. I went back to the deafult setting and haven't had any problems.
dakwijibo

Postby mrpb5525 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 pm

That is NOT the problem. frostwire wont download-" Error: open fails, file not found" I am tired of frost wire being so weak. cant ever down load without some MALWARE f-ing it up! it is Not the down load location. VER? 5.7.1 storage - F:/ 1.5 tb 89% open.system disk is todhiba 160 G/B solid - state c:/ 60% open. It is some kind of MALWARE issue - all you smart ones with your tangent answers ...OFF BASE! if I load frost wire and it works, then after a little it has issues.I dont like using frostwire for that reason. the reason I use it is it does not seed! NO COPYRIGHT infringment violations! bit torrent sux, it cntinues to seed after download, same with U torrent. Someone is tgging frostwire! Error: open fails, file not found is what mine says. Does any have this same issue and has corrected it?
mrpb5525

Postby Scott1x » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 am

mrpb5525 wrote:That is NOT the problem. frostwire wont download-" Error: open fails, file not found" I am tired of frost wire being so weak. cant ever down load without some MALWARE f-ing it up! it is Not the down load location. VER? 5.7.1 storage - F:/ 1.5 tb 89% open.system disk is todhiba 160 G/B solid - state c:/ 60% open. It is some kind of MALWARE issue - all you smart ones with your tangent answers ...OFF BASE! if I load frost wire and it works, then after a little it has issues.I dont like using frostwire for that reason. the reason I use it is it does not seed! NO COPYRIGHT infringment violations! bit torrent sux, it cntinues to seed after download, same with U torrent. Someone is tgging frostwire! Error: open fails, file not found is what mine says. Does any have this same issue and has corrected it?

I was kind of you to tell the user that his problem was not solved and that he had malware. Of course we all know that there is no malware in FrostWire, but you do seem to know otherwise. Now, you may be trying to use frostwire to download items that contain malware, but that's your problem, not a problem with frostwire.

Since all of our tangent answers are off base, there's no point if offering any.

When you solve your problem, do inform the rest of us.
Hints and help here-->My FrostWire Help Pages
Scott1x

Postby gubatron » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:19 am

" Error: open fails, file not found"

if this isn't related to the default save location, then it's related to a .torrent transfer that was active/seeding and then the user decided to delete one of the files seeded, when FrostWire tries to start the transfer again and seed all the files it will fail as it cannot find one (or more) of the files that were supposed to still be there.
gubatron
Development Team

Return to FrostWire Desktop Technical Support