Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Torrents with .MKV extension

edited December 2016 in Open Discussion
I have a non-Frostwire (sort of) question for downloaders. I have quite a few torrents that I am going to make for DVD's. I have been putting them in TS-VOB format but that makes them quite large thus take a lot of time to d/l. Soooooo, I'll put them in compressed format - .AVI or .MKV Note: I have a "thing" against X-VID so I won't go that route.

My question to d/l'rs is which format would you prefer to see - .AVI or MKV? Either one is easily converted to TS-VOB at your end if you DVD player doesn't support those formats. My dvd player will support almost anything I throw at it so it makes no diff. to me.

Obviously, the preferred method to download them is via Frostwire. :mrgreen:

Comments

• Zooky wrote:
    I have a non-Frostwire (sort of) question for downloaders. I have quite a few torrents that I am going to make for DVD's. I have been putting them in TS-VOB format but that makes them quite large thus take a lot of time to d/l. Soooooo, I'll put them in compressed format - .AVI or .MKV Note: I have a "thing" against X-VID so I won't go that route.

My question to d/l'rs is which format would you prefer to see - .AVI or MKV? Either one is easily converted to TS-VOB at your end if you DVD player doesn't support those formats. My dvd player will support almost anything I throw at it so it makes no diff. to me.

Obviously, the preferred method to download them is via Frostwire. :mrgreen:
    I prefer AVI.
  • They're all good formats, the real concern with me is size, the scene has move into using the x264 codec (.mp4) and file sizes have dropped greatly. :)
  • THX1138 wrote:
    They're all good formats, the real concern with me is size, the scene has move into using the x264 codec (.mp4) and file sizes have dropped greatly. :)
    I would agree that mp4 is the preferred format at the moment. Higher quality in less space. Win/win!
  • THX1138 wrote:
    They're all good formats, the real concern with me is size, the scene has move into using the x264 codec (.mp4) and file sizes have dropped greatly. :)

Ooops, I forgot to include x264 codec. That's my preference, too. Thanks for the reminder!!
  • I have quite a few torrents that I am going to make for DVD's. I have been putting them in TS-VOB format but that makes them quite large thus take a lot of time to d/l. Soooooo, I'll put them in compressed format - .AVI or .MKV Note: I have a "thing" against X-VID so I won't go that route.

My question to d/l'rs is which format would you prefer to see - .AVI or MKV?
  • I personally prefer .avi format, but that may be because I'm used to it and it is supported on more platforms.

As long as it gets the job done - make sure you can burn from the .mkv format - it's six of one an half dozen of the other. You may find the .mkv is a bit smaller. If your software handles both formats equally, I'd go by size.
  • My question to d/l'rs is which format would you prefer to see - .AVI or MKV?

My Blu-Ray handles either format so it matters not to me. However, that may be a VERY important question for a d/l'r to check on. As a matter of fact, probably ALL Blu-Ray players handle quite an array of formats. In any case, there's a host of converters out there that will convert one format to the other, if need.

So, pick the one you like and go with it.

Like you, I tend to dis X-VID.
  • I prefer AVI's cause most of the video players I have on my computer won't support MKV's
  • Myers808 wrote:
    I prefer AVI's cause most of the video players I have on my computer won't support MKV's
    The solution to that problem is to GET a player that supports MKV format.
    Winamp and VLC are players that I favor.
    VLC is particularly good for videos and requires downloading no codex files.
  • MPC-HC is an extremely light-weight, open source media player for Windows. It supports all common video and audio file formats available for playback. They are 100% spyware free, they have are no advertisements or toolbars plus can open multi players at once

Vlc doesn't play ogg files. And seems like they have a lot of bugs and updates to them lately

I like Avi formats but MP4 are good but back in the day when I was coding MP4 . They use to be called MPEG-4 ,which are good but they are compressed pretty tight and get choppy with vlc player hench I like mpc player.

In the end . It's users choice .
  • Personally, I prefer MKV because you can easily repackage all of the language and sound codecs. AVI files seem to be a bit primitive at this point (just my opinion); to get decent quality the size is usually quite large.
  • My personal favourite I use to burn movies or photos to dvd and play on a DVD player is
    Convert x to DVD

It's converts/encodes most formats to play on a DVD

My choice is MPEG 4 which they use to call it and been around for over 10 years
    Now you know it as MP4. They shorten it .

But again it always user choice .
    I can never go back to less than 1080 for resolution .

Cheers
    Sonic_X

Leave a Comment