Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

STICKY: Solving the Problem of Blocked Index Sites

edited November 2013 in Open Discussion
With index sites being blocked at the ISP level, (see this article for more details: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22317 ) it's necessary to take some extra steps to continue to be able to find torrents to download. FrostWire has a built in search facility, but if that site is blocked at the ISP level, FrostWire cannot access it. You can either use your browser to search an unblocked engine or use a proxy or VPN.

If you use your browser to access an unblocked site, find the item you want and click on the Torrent or Magnet link button. For torrents, different sites use different symbols for torrent data, but usually, if you hover over it, you get an indication. Just download the torrent to your desktop or let it start FrostWire, which ever you choose.

Clicking on that symbol should start a FrostWire session and begin downloading the selected item.

The better option is to use a VPN. A VPN establishes a secure tunnel and routes you through a secure server, that may be anywhere in the world, bypassing regional restrictions, and masking your IP identity. The VPN I use: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/PIAReview.html

There are many good ones and this is well worth a read! http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-th ... on-130302/

Comments

  • Scott1x,are these vpn free or do we have to pay for them.being in the uk I prefer if I have to pay via paypal.i have found 2 reliable sites&i download to my downloads folder the small torrent&you can scan it with your anti virus.i have open frostwire&just drag it across.this works for me al lthe time.i do get annoved if you download in frostwire &at the end get you need codecs to plays this&an example, to stop this file being deleted or copywrighted,our team placed it in an advanced format&you need the right codec to play it.what an annoyance.wmv files I bewere of them..colin
  • colin7616 wrote:
    Scott1x,are these vpn free or do we have to pay for them.being in the uk I prefer if I have to pay via paypal.i have found 2 reliable sites&i download to my downloads folder the small torrent&you can scan it with your anti virus.i have open frostwire&just drag it across.this works for me al lthe time.i do get annoved if you download in frostwire &at the end get you need codecs to plays this&an example, to stop this file being deleted or copywrighted,our team placed it in an advanced format&you need the right codec to play it.what an annoyance.wmv files I bewere of them..colin
    If you need codecs you are probably being scammed. VLC will play anything I've ever downloaded and there is NO WAY I'd consider adding a codec to my machine. I don't pay scammers. Additionally, their codec will probably be a virus. DON'T do it. If you can check reviews, do that. Otherwise, just delete it and try a different torrent.

    Yes, I DO pay for my VPN. The cost is minimal and less than 3% of my internet bill. An expense I consider well worth the outlay.

    These are free:
    http://www.winamp.com/
    http://www.videolan.org/
  • for those who like to follow the source code, here's the branch I've created with what I call a "Domain Alias Manager" system for the "Web Search Performers".
    https://github.com/frostwire/frostwire- ... its/dproxy

    hopefully this code will serve as a general purpose solution not only for FrostWire but for other projects that need to deal with unreliable/blocked servers and alias ip addresses. work in progress which will evolve with each release.

    the idea is to have a first basic version to solve the problem at hand as quickly as possible and then make it more sophisticated and resilient to failure/censorship.
  • gubatron,i am new to this world of torrents so I am not sure what you are saying.at present my isp has blocked 95%of the sites&for me 1 can get 3 genuine not at present blocked sites,i was told I would need a vpn or a proxy I am not sure what frostwire can do to solve this only I expect give advice.colin
  • colin7616 wrote:
    gubatron,i am new to this world of torrents so I am not sure what you are saying.at present my isp has blocked 95%of the sites&for me 1 can get 3 genuine not at present blocked sites,i was told I would need a vpn or a proxy I am not sure what frostwire can do to solve this only I expect give advice.colin
    In some cases, FW could access the sites via an unblocked alias, but they have to be obtained and coded for. It could be table driven, but that sort of thing must be planned and properly implemented. Many feel that such blockages are illegal and violate international agreements, but legal means nothing when there are profits at stake.

    Hopefully, such changes can be implemented.
  • Scott1x wrote:
    Many feel that such blockages are illegal and violate international agreements, but legal means nothing when there are profits at stake.

    Gad, here we go - !AGAIN!?!??.

    Signed: a Limewire survivor
  • Zooky wrote:
    Scott1x wrote:
    Many feel that such blockages are illegal and violate international agreements, but legal means nothing when there are profits at stake.

    Gad, here we go - !AGAIN!?!??.

    Signed: a Limewire survivor
    Not AGAIN - STILL!
  • Update:

    We've released an update that fixes youtube search issues for users worldwide, this should include UK as youtube is hopefully not blocked there.

    On Mac, we're still dealing with building and signing a binary that's compatible with as many Mac OSX versions as possible. We have some binary incompatibilities between the old fwplayer_osx binary (the audio/video player binary based on mplayer that we use) and the new signing tool on Mavericks. We recompiled the player, it signed perfectly, but it's not working with older versions of macosx, so we're figuring this out in the meantime.
  • can I congradulate the frostwire team for the new 5.6.8 upgrade.although in the uk most sites are blocked the new torlock download facility for me brilliant.the new upgrade does seem faster aswell.untill I readup on vpns&proxys I am happy to stick with what I have got.3 at the moment trustworthy sites.when they go they go.colin ps worse things are happening in the world.
  • gubatron,the frostwire team have designed the new upgrade very well.i tried an experiment downloaded a torrent &dragged it into the new frostwire&had another torrent client.frostwire 5.6.8 downloaded very quickly&the other torrent client said 7hrs.so the new frostwire for me very fast&thankyou for torlock as good as the lost extratorrent which is blocked in the uk.colin
  • Bit the bullet and decided to pay for a vpn (as UK ISP's have now started to block streaming sites too...feckin b*stards!!).....and so far...so good :)
  • Bit the bullet and decided to pay for a vpn (as UK ISP's have now started to block streaming sites too...feckin b*stards!!).....and so far...so good :)
    Good deal! You may see an increase in line speed too. That can be an additional benefit if your ISP engages in traffic shaping ,and most of them do.
  • Well it was all down to your advice....ta very much :)
  • paddypower101,i am in the uk&now most sites are blocked.how did you decide which vpn to choose&cost.
  • colin7616 wrote:
    paddypower101,i am in the uk&now most sites are blocked.how did you decide which vpn to choose&cost.

    Hi, I'm using the one that Scott1x recommended privateinternetaccess.com I went for the full year and it was $39 (so about £25) I think it's well worth the money. I was testing it out on websites last night that I know are blocked and I could get onto all of them plus I can now access things like Hulu.com :D :D :D :D
  • Hi, I'm using the one that Scott1x recommended privateinternetaccess.com I went for the full year and it was $39 (so about £25) I think it's well worth the money. I was testing it out on websites last night that I know are blocked and I could get onto all of them plus I can now access things like Hulu.com :D :D :D :D
    Getting to blocked sites is a significant benefit of the VPN, but even more important, in many cases, is how the use of shared IPs further protects you. That prevents all unsolicited requests to your IP. This is a way that hackers find entrance to your system, and you are now protected from that. You may never realize that is there, but it can save you a truckload of grief!
  • has anybody installed the vpn app on windows 8.i am on the verge of syning up but not sure.although other then the operating system I expext it should work.what made me think if it dosenot install you have to go &follow 27 install steps.colin
  • colin7616 wrote:
    has anybody installed the vpn app on windows 8.i am on the verge of syning up but not sure.although other then the operating system I expext it should work.what made me think if it dosenot install you have to go &follow 27 install steps.colin
    I know that zooky has posted that he uses it and he's on win8.
    Check some of his posts.
  • Scott1x wrote:
    I know that zooky has posted that he uses it and he's on win8.
    Check some of his posts.

    I use Private Internet Access (PIA) - same as you do on Win 7. It runs VERY well on Win 8.1!
  • Zooky wrote:
    I use Private Internet Access (PIA) - same as you do on Win 7. It runs VERY well on Win 8.1!

    btw - like you, I FIRMLY believe in using a VPN. Using PIA, I could pretend that I was in London and could then watch ALL of the recent Olympics instead of the summarized version we got in the U.S. I was interested in the results of other countries, not just the U.S.
  • sorry all for being apain.but is it easy to install the vpn that the 3 of you use, as useless tried asking on their site &said I don't need to install the app just use l2tp or pptp if I did notwant to use the software&look up the install instructions.they also said some software can be a problem.just need to know how easy to set up.colin
  • colin7616 wrote:
    sorry all for being apain.but is it easy to install the vpn that the 3 of you use, as useless tried asking on their site &said I don't need to install the app just use l2tp or pptp if I did notwant to use the software&look up the install instructions.they also said some software can be a problem.just need to know how easy to set up.colin
    I joined and got my id and password. I downloaded their install routine and installed. I started the program and it worked. Total time was a few minutes from the start of the install.

    For me, it doesn't get much easier.
  • Scott1x wrote:
    Total time was a few minutes from the start of the install.
    For me, it doesn't get much easier.

    Ditto for my experience.
  • thankyou for all your help.the the private internet company sent me an email with 4 steps when you open up the file the 3rd was run as administrator with pass word but I don't think I put a password in so I suppose ignore that.thanks again for all your help.colin
  • colin7616 wrote:
    thankyou for all your help.the the private internet company sent me an email with 4 steps when you open up the file the 3rd was run as administrator with pass word but I don't think I put a password in so I suppose ignore that.thanks again for all your help.colin
    As I recall, you get your password in an email.

Leave a Comment