Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Download status viewing area

Hi-This is my first post so please bear with me if I'm in the wrong area. Two features I'd appreciate being addressed-trivial yet annoying. The scrolling area where the download activity (percentage) can be seen is far too small as only one, or two, downloads can be seen. In previous versions weren't we availed the ability to see several? Secondly, again this use to exist but where the various torrents are listed with the check boxes (on the left panel) we use to be able to Clearly see what artists are the performers of various downloads. I realize that this info can be viewed in the main area but perhaps I'm a simpleton, likely, but on so many occasions I've downloaded songs that were not performed by the original artist.
Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks, Alan

Comments

• If you are talking about the transfer area, that can be any size you want. Above the title bar, there are five dots. That is a grab bar. If you hover over it, you can then press the mouse and resize the window.

If you will go to my help pages, you will find a lot of information about searching and search strategies for FrostWire.

If you have specific questions, DO post back and ask!
  • Ok thanks. I tried to resize the window as you often can, but the usual vertical arrow wasn't appearing. I'll look again for the "5 dots."
  • odeste wrote:
    Ok thanks. I tried to resize the window as you often can, but the usual vertical arrow wasn't appearing. I'll look again for the "5 dots."
    Try displaying full screen to make sure you have a full view.
  • I almost always use full screen-that aside I found the dots and was able to resize it. I had been hovering over the horizontal lines/borders beneath that. Thanks, so much, for your help! One less annoyance. alan
  • odeste wrote:
    I almost always use full screen-that aside I found the dots and was able to resize it. I had been hovering over the horizontal lines/borders beneath that. Thanks, so much, for your help! One less annoyance. alan
    I normally run far less than full screen, so I always suggest that when people are having problems viewing. I've been bit more than once by having a window too small to see all of it. Not all programs deal with too small windows, gracefully!
  • Scott1x wrote:
    I normally run far less than full screen, so I always suggest that when people are having problems viewing. I've been bit more than once by having a window too small to see all of it. Not all programs deal with too small windows, gracefully!

Resizing, using the nub line, was always a MUST for me. Problem is FW doesn't remember my desired position session to session. It used to do that, but not any more, sigh.

In any case, since I have 200+ torrents, it's now a moot point for me.
  • Zooky wrote:
    Scott1x wrote:

Resizing, using the nub line, was always a MUST for me. Problem is FW doesn't remember my desired position session to session. It used to do that, but not any more, sigh.

In any case, since I have 200+ torrents, it's now a moot point for me.

I noticed that immediately. To remember the set sizing would make things easier. I'm afraid that I'm a bit baffled by all of the torrent stuff but plan to read portions of Scott1x's help section
  • I'm wondering why it won't remember screen layout for you guys. I'm on Win7 and that has never been a problem for me. That would cause me to suspect that it's a security/permission issue. Try setting FrostWire to run at administrative level. See if that helps.
  • Nope-always reverts. Windows7 also
  • odeste wrote:
    Nope-always reverts. Windows7 also
    Did you run as admin? All I can say is that on 4 different computers and two operating systems, never had that problem.
  • Scott1x wrote:
    odeste wrote:
    Nope-always reverts. Windows7 also
    Did you run as admin? All I can say is that on 4 different computers and two operating systems, never had that problem.

Yup. Not a large deal. In all probability it's some setting, somewhere, that requires enabling or disabling. I'll play with it. A nice forum this is-comfortable so far. It's been a long time, being a recluse and much more fond of all non-human animals than my species, since I've participated in one. Too much info? lol
  • odeste wrote:
    Yup. Not a large deal. In all probability it's some setting, somewhere, that requires enabling or disabling. I'll play with it. A nice forum this is-comfortable so far. It's been a long time, being a recluse and much more fond of all non-human animals than my species, since I've participated in one. Too much info? lol
    Not to worry! I'm retired from the IT field, and this is sort of a hobby for me. The forum is FrostWire oriented, but if something is polite and can in any way relate to FrostWire, I consider it fair to post!

If you check out my help pages, you'll find a ton of information relating to FW and P2P security issues and such.
  • after our next release the transfer area will be as wide as the whole window so you should have more room to adjust your columns.
  • gubatron wrote:
    after our next release the transfer area will be as wide as the whole window so you should have more room to adjust your columns.
    YAY!!!
    Gonna love it!
  • This is what we're working towards on this next release (this is a photoshop mockup)

We think newer users won't get lost, if you can imagine the interaction it goes from top to bottom, no need to jump around, and the UI now hints you that you got more results of all file types, right now you kind of have to guess.

Notice all the wide space now for transfers and search results.

That "More Options" on the top would show you the search filters
  • gubatron wrote:
    This is what we're working towards on this next release (this is a photoshop mockup)

We think newer users won't get lost, if you can imagine the interaction it goes from top to bottom, no need to jump around, and the UI now hints you that you got more results of all file types, right now you kind of have to guess.

Notice all the wide space now for transfers and search results.

That "More Options" on the top would show you the search filters
    That does look like a cleaner interface. Most of the left side, now, I set once and don't need it again, unless I want to change it, which is not often. The search filter, when I search, is one of the more useful elements of FrostWire! That makes finding what you want, amidst a lot of clutter much easier!

More control over what is being displayed on the transfer screen would be nice too. It would be great to NOT see paused items. The are paused for a reason.

Looks like a much nicer interface. I'm looking forward to it!
  • I'm also fighting to get rid of the buttons below the search results.

Stop - can be right on the Tab title, where we have an indefinite progress spinner, it'd be natural to stop the search up there if we're hinting that it's still on-going.
    Details - it's the same as clicking on the "Source" links
    Options - I think we can move it either on the header somewhere or somewhere on the status bar, so it's always visible (per request of the FTC)

Now, the big issue is that "Download" button, which is THE core functionality of FrostWire.

This download Button is the obvious way to start multiple downloads at once. An advanced user will select many files and press the Enter key, but a new user won't have a clue.

If we could put that Donwload button elsewhere, where would it be?

Why do you want to get rid of that Button Row?

The majority of FrostWire users have screens of up to 800 and 900 pixels, that button row takes valuable vertical real state, plus, too many buttons can be confusing, plus it looks like a freaking kitchen device with lots of knobs.
  • I don't mind buttons below the search results. The only time that window is open is when I'm searching. I don't use it, but I don't mind it being there. I normally use right button menus. DO NOT lose them!

On the transfer window, the bottom row buttons are useful, though that clear inactive is one I'd rather not be there. I lost most of torrents one day hitting that by accident. Normally, many of my torrents are paused, until I decide to actively seen them again. OUCH. That was worse than the options restore default button - another one that should have an "are you sure" query interaction!

Heading in a positive direction!
  • the reason to get rid of the middle button row (don't worry about the bottom one) is basically lack of space for the media player.

Otherwise we're going to have to stuff it on the header, but it just doesn't make any sense up there, looks a lot better on the bottom, plus we can have a lot more functionality that we have planned for it with all that horizontal space.

Good tip on the "Are you sure" for clear inactive torrents.

On a further iteration, Transfers will have its own window, and we'll separate on-going and recent transfers from seeding transfers on 2 tabs.
  • Great suggestions! I'll be looking forward to it!

Leave a Comment