Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

STICKY: Frostwire Community Chat Help

edited September 2012 in Chat Room Help
This is a help for things on frostwire cos i know how annoying it can be at times :) Do also check out the network rules

Actions

/me = action for you doing something

/notice name message = whisper

Chat Help

/kick #room name = kick someone

Register Yourself

Type /nickserv register apassword email@address with a password you make up, and your real email address in those places.

If you like to use more than one nickname change to that nickname now and type /nickserv group firstname apassword
Put the first nickname you registered where it says firstname. Put the same password you used before.

If you want to stop anyone else using your nickname type /nickserv set kill on now.

Everytime you join the chat it will not recognise you straight away, type /nickserv identify apassword before doing anything else.

You must identify yourself with a nickname at least once a week to keep it.

To make the room more permanent you will need to register it.

Type /chanserv register #roomname apassword description
For my example I might type /chanserv register #Playroom secretpass A friendly room. The password does not have to be the same as you used with nickserv.

You are now the owner of the room.

Type /topic #roomname Description
For example, /topic #Playroom Come play in my playroom, I have a ball pit and everything!

When you want to close your room for good the command is /chanserv drop #roomname.

Sometimes you may need to give your password to gain access to your room, the command is /chanserv identify #roomname password.

Assign A Bot To Your Room

Type /botserv botlist

At the bottom of chat is a BotServ button, click that and pick a name from the list. I will pick Tuxy.

Type /botserv assign #roomname botname

Room Services

Ask them if they have registered, if not they should type /nickserv register apassword email@address like you did earlier.

For each friend type /chanserv aop #roomname add nickname
aop means Auto Operator, the bot will automatically make them host whenever they come back.

Instead of aop you can use sop for Super Operator (an admin), hop for Half Operator (a helper) or vop for Voiced Operator (a participant).

If you change your mind use del instead of add.

There can only be one registered owner at a time but if you want a temporary owner type /mode #roomname +q nickname to add them and /mode #roomname -q nickname to remove them. They cannot use chanserv like a true owner can and they'll lose it as soon as they leave the room.

To transfer ownership to someone else use /chanserv set #roomname founder nickname and then ask them to type /chanserv set #roomname password newpassword to protect the room.
In the room type !k nickname to kick that nickname, they will be able to come back if they want to.

In the room type !kb nickname to kick and ban that nickname, they will probably not be able to come back.

In the room type !unban nickname to let them back in if you change your mind.

If you are banned from a room you have access to type /chanserv unban #roomname.

if you want your room to be for adults with no children or just want a bit of privacy type /mode #roomname +p
To make it hide adult words so it is child safe type /mode #roomname +G

Comments

• kitkat you are brilliant. while most of this material has been covered in various other posts it has never been gathered together like that. i have to commend you on it. it will be a great help for new people :)
  • yep those are all very useful. Just noticed a few were left out.

if you type /ignore nick you can ignore a user who might be bothering you rather than fighting back and forth in the chat. i find this one very useful at times =P

also if your room has been set to +i you can type /cs invite #roomname that way you can enter it without anyone else inviting you.

And if you have problems with people being oped in your room. Secureops works wonders. just type /cs set #roomname secureops on/off. Also you can turn xop off by typing /cs set #roomname xop on/off. Keep in mind tho that if you do choose to use these. You will have to use access commands to add or remove ppl.

An example would be /cs access #roomname add nick level aop.

use can of course replace aop with hop/sop/vop etc.
  • how do i place a welcome message in my room?
  • Type /chanserv set #channelname entrymsg and your message
  • dont forget /rules beforehand :D
  • I just installed the newest version of Frostwire, b/c for some reason the older version refused to work. This new version works fine except for I can join any chat rooms. It's not b/c I'm banned...it doesn't say anything...what happens is that, when I connect to the network, I instantly disconnect...it doesn't say anything about being banned like it normally would...are the servers down? WTF, this is seriously aggravating.
  • spuggy wrote:
    Type /chanserv set #channelname entrymsg and your message
    :lol:
  • why does it keep saying nickname not allowed?
  • This is a stab in the dark....
    Its not allowed? lol sorry had to do that, Its probably set to "Guest_####"

Tools>>
    Options>>
    Community chat>>
    And i do believe you can set your name from there

Good luck
  • USING NICK SERV TO do commands instead of through the room / commands

here is a way to be safe when typing pass info in room so ppl cant see it
    this is good for new users registering a nick

1 PM NICK SERV- /MSG NICKSERV the nickserv will open
    2 ENTER the register info register example pass is bunny3212

email is name@email

3 login after you message nick serv type ID pass ex -ID BUNNY3212

so here is a example of mine

/msg nickserv
    once its up type : REGISTER BUNNY3212 cootmaster@bird.com

im now registered as COOTMASTER
    COOTMASTER >>
    To login
    /msg nickserv
    once up type ID BUNNY3212
    this i believe is a safe way to do stuff wo going through room accidentally showing info

GHOST
    /msg nickserv
    once up : ghost cootmaster bunny3212

group

change nick or go on client as a different nick example bird

BIRD >> type /msg nickserv
    once up : group cootmaster bunny3212

setting new pass
    /msg nickserv
    once up : set password newpassword
    set password ducky123

registering a room

* Type /msg chanserv
    register #roomname apassword description

* Type /msg chanserv
    when Channel serv pops up
    type as an example register #Playroom secret pass A friendly room. The password does not have to be the same as you used with nickserv, do not share that password with anyone!
  • im sorry i still dont get it do you register on line or the chat thing omgg
    i dunno how to work it lol xD :roll:
  • Yes you do it in any chat window where you normally chat. It is best to use the Global or information tabs .. since if you make a typo an entire room will not see your password :)

This Registration Tutorial by Wyrdjax< click here explains it very well :)
  • ohh thanks i got it registered now :)
    and yeahh if it wasnt on the actual box i would be showing the pass and my msn lol
    ta x
  • Thanks.I got it

Carlobabel
  • Ok so I'm ticked to the highest. I downloaded Frostwire again to get music. And the name I use to for my nickname belongs to me but for some reason it's saying it's taken and keeps switching to Guest_6405. I'm not allowed back on the chat. CAN SOME PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!
  • Hi,

If you have not used your nick for some time it is likely it has been dropped and may be used by someone else ...or.... you are not authenticating/identifying when you log in. The easiest thing to do is type /join #support if you have problems and you can chat in the Support room and they will sort the problem.
  • i need help i got this and i don't know why ¹ºº¹ Join» (elizabeth) (meow@13E7B21A.BE8DB807.E2FCD1C5.IP)
    º¹¹¹ Mode» (ClockworkOrange) sets (+qo elizabeth elizabeth)
    º¹¹º Quit» (elizabeth) (meow@13E7B21A.BE8DB807.E2FCD1C5.IP) (User has been permanently banned from PeerCommons (Botnet))
  • I believe this has been sorted out on the chat. Unfortunately we do get botnet attacks and there a few chatters occasionally misidentified as guilty.. who get banned.

I hope all is OK now and apologies :)
  • I cant use my username witch is a guest name, that it kept sighning me in under, how do i change my user name to connect to chat?
  • Go To Tools > Options > Community Chat, and change the name ... then restart Frostwire. The name you chose is already taken (unless it is a name you have registered, in which case you need to type /identify PASSWORD) , so please use another.
  • just type /cs set #roomname secureops on/off. Also you can turn xop off by typing /cs set #roomname xop on/off. Keep in mind tho that if you do choose to use these. You will have to use access commands to add or remove ppl.
    thanks a lot ,I have got it.
  • i cant even log into chat server, keeps telling me prob with network dont know what i am doing wrong if someone has sugg please e mail me or post it something thanks....
  • The chat is currently offline. Staff are working on it. The two top announcements in the forum do make this clear.
  • The chat is now up and running, but there are one or two issues causing disconnections which do not last long, so if you cannot connect wait 10 minutes or so and hopefully you will get on.
  • I have an issue with my nickname, its registered with my email, but it kept saying password incorrect, is there a way to fix it? i've never had an issue with the identify password before, but recently it's been telling me password incorrect is there a way to fix it?
    :(
  • Did you ever get any luck with this? If not I suggest you contact Humanoid, Emily, Gummo or Casper and see what you can sort out. also point out what happens if you do /ns info on your nick.
  • edited July 2012
    i want to change the password given by you to my old one

i dont know where the profile page is

here under community forums, i can see my name but no profile information

where is it please!!

i cant memorize all this bunch of letters and numbers that mean nothing

thank you

your version of 4.21.8 is ot working..why not???????!!!!!!!! why ?? do we have ti updated if we dont want to??

thank you :(
  • i want to change the password given by you to my old one
    i dont know where the profile page is
    here under community forums, i can see my name but no profile information
    where is it please!!
    i cant memorize all this bunch of letters and numbers that mean nothing
    thank you
    your version of 4.21.8 is ot working..why not???????!!!!!!!! why ?? do we have ti updated if we dont want to??
    thank you :(
    Your profile page is available by clicking on user control panel beneath the board index.
    Here is a sample of a password I have used in the past: NhAk39H6nuPS
    I did NOT memorize it. If you can memorize it, it's probably too damn easy! There is cut and paste, there are pass word keepers, and other ways of managing passwords. Many browsers will even save them for you. Do NOT stint on your pass words or you may find your accounts hijacked and compromised.

Version 4.21.8 is not working for the same reason windows 95 is not working. It's no longer supported, the network it was on has become compromised and polluted and the superservers have moved and connections are getting to be almost impossible.
    I'll give you the link... It may or may not help, but if it helps, it's only for a little while.
    You will either learn a new way of doing things, or you will be forced to stop doing those things.
    Try this: http://catfangz.com/frostwire/gnutella.html
    But when it stops working, or if it never works, good luck!
    You are either moving forwards or backwards. There is no such thing as standing still.
  • I have a problem with my handle, its authorized with my e-mail, but it kept saying private data wrong, is there a way to fix it? i've never had a problem with the recognize private data before, but lately it's been informing me private data wrong is there a way to fix it?
    :( :lol:
    What is Your-
    Operating system:
    Java Version:
    FrostWire Level Number:
    Virus Checker:
    Fire Wall:
    Are you behind a router:
    Using a proxy or VPN:
    Type of internet connection:

You could try this:
    Make SURE FrostWire is completely terminated
    NOW: (for Win7. Other systems will have similar files)
      From file explorer, navigate to use c:\users\YourAccount
      (assuming your system drive is c:\") and delete the folder: .frostwire5
    Restart FrostWire and be alert for any error indications.
  • the thing about whisper I will do it but it won't the command you typed is not supported what should I do

Leave a Comment