Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Replacement of gnutella.net file for Frostwire 4

13»

Comments

• It is all in the first post on the first page of this thread :) click on the box with one in it down below >>
  • Just want to say thanks your method worked perfectly.
    I would like to point out though that for thous who dont know that "appdata" is a hidden file on win 7 but after that all is the same as vista.
  • Just want to say thanks your method worked perfectly.
    I would like to point out though that for thous who dont know that "appdata" is a hidden file on win 7 but after that all is the same as vista.
    If you want to see your files, condition win 7 to SHOW HIDDEN... this is done by removing the check from hide them. Bill Gates doesn't want you to know what's on your own computer.
  • Hobo, you are "The Man!" I knew of the gnutella.net" file however; I did not know where to get it. Thank you sooo much!!! 8) "The Nathaniel Hardy Project"
  • Hi there, I guess the trick would do it, but there is a little problem, I cant find a gnutella file in my system. What should I do about it? As you suggested, I downloaded the new file but where should I place it exactly???
    www.mozillafirefoxsupport.com
  • SamJohn wrote:
    Hi there, I guess the trick would do it, but there is a little problem, I cant find a gnutella file in my system. What should I do about it? As you suggested, I downloaded the new file but where should I place it exactly???
    www.mozillafirefoxsupport.com

You are probably wasting your time. Even if you get it working, the results, compared to torrent versions are spam and malware ridden, and compared to torrents is a crippled protocol. It is not supported any longer for a GOOD reason!

If you don't have a gnutella.net, put it in the proper folder.

In Windows XP on your start menu click Run... and type in %appdata% A folder will appear, look for Frostwire and inside for gnutella.net

In Windows Vista Open any folder window and type %appdata% in the box at the top. A folder, or list will appear, look for Frostwire and inside that, for gnutella.net

alternatively:
    in Windows XP the folder is at C:\Documents and Settings\name you use to login\Application Data\FrostWire\ and look for gnutella.net
    in Windows Vista it is at C:\Users\name you use to login\AppData\Roaming\FrostWire\ and look for gnutella.net

Your app data folder is quite likely hidden and you may need to enable it to be visible. in any windows folder click tools > folder options at the top. click on that and then view then show hidden files and folders.
  • Updated - I hope it helps. If not it is worth trying connecting at different times of day.

Good luck
  • The updated version appears to work like a charm.
  • Hey Onlyahobo!!!
    It needs updated again xD thanks for all your help!!!

:o
  • Hi Marshall,

I have renewed the file. It helps if you start up Frostwire 4 for a few hours every few days, which is actually how I get an updated file myself. If you do this there should be no need to install a new file. I do find some times in local evenings it is hard to connect, but recently things seem to be going better.

I hope this helps.
  • Still not wanting to connect :( tried replacing and different periods of time. idk what to do i really hate the 5.0+
  • it used to work perfectly for me, always went turbo after replacing the file but now it's always stuck on starting connection. :/
  • This thread has been alive since 2007. Gnutella as been dead that long and people still keep trying to keep it on life support.

Win95, XP, ME and Vista are dead too. Sometimes you really need to know when to move on.

Some signs are: Vendor no longer supports the package and it's been replaced by a superior technology.
  • Might need an updated gnutella.net file, followed all the steps but won't connect... Thanks in advance!
  • chumbunn wrote:
    Might need an updated gnutella.net file, followed all the steps but won't connect... Thanks in advance!
    This is just in. I can validate it but source forge is good.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22981&p=60233#p60233
  • Frostwire 4 works for me and helps me get what I want. I use another program to download Torents two programs so what.
  • Heres another gnutella.net replacement option, packaged within an installer and is usually up to date.

Gnutella Forums - Frostwire 4.x Connection Fix
  • I have today updated the file in the first post of the thread.
  • I Created a Frostwire Gnutella.net file manager you can get it at sourceforge.net at web page https://sourceforge.net/projects/frostw ... ilemanage/
    How ever you will have to get a new Gnutella.net file to get things going.
    I have included my Gnutella.net file you will have to manualy add to the collection from the settings tab then replace your old gnutella,net file under the Manage tab
    Once there you disconnect Frostwire File>Disconnect slide the new file in then File>Connect.
    You can run it and have daily or hourly saves of your Gnutella,Net file or you can do it manually with the provided button
    I have also included the source code for Visual Basic 2012 Express in the Zip File
    I hope this helps someone
    Good Day
  • The above post by SBT has not received any feedback since being posted nearly a year ago, so has been left for interest more than anything else. I have just updated the file in the first post in the thread. I suggest using that, but any feedback is welcome. Note this is only for users of the old Gnutella Frostwire version 4.x.x, NOT the current Versions version 5 or 6.
  • I'm still having connection problems even after replacing Gnutella file. Use to work fine. Any help would be great.
  • I have just replaced the file in the first post. I hope it helps. Personally I am using Gnutella less and less now. I explored it the other night for a while and found it yielded little, -- that after I struggled a bit to connect. I wish you luck :)
  • I have just replaced the file in the first post. I hope it helps. Personally I am using Gnutella less and less now. I explored it the other night for a while and found it yielded little, -- that after I struggled a bit to connect. I wish you luck :)
    Just a quick note, are you aware all the UHC's in your host file are dead? They've been inactive now for several years. After each session you will notice a count beside each one until (I think it's 6 tries) all the UHC's simply vanish off the file.

FW4 really needs to go back to GWC backup support. But that portion of code was disabled (same as all the other Lime based programs that moved up to UHC support. Of course the other LW-4 clones still remained with GWC's but their in-built lists are totally out of date.)

Another observation of the September host file posted is the strange lack of DHT and TLS beside the host details. Were these abilities disabled or were you firewalled when you put the list together? It tends to suggest so, because a firewalled host has no ability to join the DHT. But hey this is not important, just that FW will prioritize these protocols to connect to.

A huge +++ to stevenblaintutt for coming up with the Net File Manager. I highly recommend it! Taking snapshots of connected hosts is kewl. Since even the LW devs realised the host file management was baulked. They even set LW-5 to delete the file if not used after 28 days instead of fixing the problem. I know how to fix it but need a fellow coder to assist to get FW-4 back on its feet.

Totally off-topic: has anybody noticed the Hostiles torrent download was disabled over the past year? Now users are left with zero hostile file support. FW-4 will delete any hostiles manually added that does not match the security hash.
    This perhaps helps to explain why the number of FrostWire-4 users on the gnutella network has dropped dramatically since a year ago.
  • Does the old frostwire 4.21.8 Still work? I used to just update the gnutella file on the first post of this thread and that would always do the trick. But that no longer works... Is it just completely defunct now or is there a new trick? I feel like it stopped working after my computer installed some updates awhile back.
  • billy11 wrote:
    Does the old frostwire 4.21.8 Still work? I used to just update the gnutella file on the first post of this thread and that would always do the trick. But that no longer works... Is it just completely defunct now or is there a new trick? I feel like it stopped working after my computer installed some updates awhile back.
    FW 4.21 is really ancient though Hobo still seems to like it.

Maybe this link can help you out.
    http://sourceforge.net/directory/commun ... s:windows/

This one, being the most popular does look good:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk-gnu ... =directory

Personally, I MUCH prefer torrents! :wink:
  • billy11 wrote:
    Does the old frostwire 4.21.8 Still work? I used to just update the gnutella file on the first post of this thread and that would always do the trick. But that no longer works... Is it just completely defunct now or is there a new trick? I feel like it stopped working after my computer installed some updates awhile back.
    Check this link as the gnutella file within the installer is quite fresh FrostWire connection installers via mediafire hosting site or alternatively the gnutella file on its own here gnutella.net file via mediafire.

There's other links here for FrostWire connection help.

edit: You might want to re-check your firewall settings because sometimes Windows updates can change the firewall settings. Make sure FrostWire is still on the firewall exception list.

Edit again: links fixed (hopefully.)
  • I used to maintain the Gnutella.net link as best I could, but I have stopped. The reason being that for several months I have found precious little being shared on the Gnutella network. It was great in its day. the links in the previous post may help, if you want to try. Good luck :)

Leave a Comment