Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Replacement of gnutella.net file for Frostwire 4

Comments

• read through the walk-thru, very easy to understand.

unfortunately i'm using Windows 2000. how do i find the application data or preference folder?
  • nevermind, i found it (the file was 138 bytes) and replaced it.

works fine now, thanks!
  • the =49# worked a treat thanks guys
  • I thought it was IMPOSSIBLE to get frostwire running on osx 10.3.9 , but after finally finding a site to download frostwire 4.10.9 and replacing the gnutella.net file, it actually WORKS, the connection time is a bit long but no unusual problems downloading ,,,, thanks much for the help
  • I tried the file patch from MyBloop and my connection issues were fixed within 2 minutes. Great stuff. Thanks! Also, I'm a Windows XP user, so it just so ya know it worked for me.
  • Great job ..thanks for letting us know :)
  • I don't get it :shock:
  • Go back to the beginning and follow the instructions step by step.
    If you still don't get it you'll have to tell us exactly what you mean.
  • I came, I read, I obeyed...

and then I was rewarded with instantaneous success!!

I have an old(er) version of Frostwire - 4.10 Beta - my o/s is win98, my isp shawcable - all of these details have been exactly the same for many, many, many moons - so nothing was different for me except I hadn't used Frostwire for quite some time. When I last used it, it ran perfectly and without any connection problems, so I was a bit baffled tonight.

However, I have found open source folks to be among THE FINEST providers of help and information on the internet so I feared not and came looking. First thing I read was forum rules "READ THIS", which lead me perfectly to the thread that addressed connection issues. I tried, disconnect/reconnect and restarted my computer - and although it did not say specifically say that I with my old Frost-Beta and win98, would benefit from the "replace gnutella.net" I tried it next.

Connection was immediate
    It was brilliant
    You people ROCK!
    Frostwire RULES!

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou :mrgreen:

and I'd like to add another easier way to find exactly where your gnutella.net file is for the less tech savvy like myself - just do a "search" or "find files" in my case (I'm not sure what it is called in Xp, Vista, Mac etc) for gnutella.net and you will be directed to exactly where your old file is, if you have one :wink: If you're afraid to delete it, just rename it "gnutella.OLD" and leave it there that way you can restore it if you want it back.

But you won't want it :P
  • Thanks for the post, and great to know it helped. This is often necessary on old installations of Frostwire, in fact on 4.10 it is probably essential.

On later Windows versions the appdata/preference folder is hidden and so the search system which works so well on earlier versions will not generally work on the most commonly used windows versions.

Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy Frostwire :)
  • I have done exactly what the stickey told me to do and I still can't get a connection, I restarted frostwire and it sits there for 20 minutes or more saying starting connection and never gets past the first bar. Can someone please tell me what to do now. It also tells me a firewall is detected and I totally diabled all firewalls to see if that was the problem and it had no effect on it. I am using the windows vista program and well; HELP :cry:
  • Search gave no results for gnutella.net

I am using Windows 7
    Wireless router but am wired to it
    Starting Connection never gets past first bar
    I have discinnected and connected
    I am behind a Firewall provided with Windows, with security set to medium

I would really like to see what using FrostWire is all about but have had no success connecting

Thanks,
    tanker
  • edited December 2009
    hi tanker,

FWs got problems since the last update.
  • thanks for getting back to me barlou12,

MP3 Rocket will not connect either. Exactly the same thing, hangs up with "Starting Connection' at only 1 bar.

tanker

specs:
    I am using Windows 7
    Linksys Wireless router WRT54G
    SpyBot S&D
    Symantec Endpoint Protection
    Windows Firewall set to medium
  • hey,

can you disconnect your internet for 10 minutes?

when you come back start FW, minimize it, just let it go.
    do you have your own antivirus with a 2nd firewall?
    if you are are new to FW, i dont think you need to worry about gnutella its like a phone book for your computer, so you are not likly to have out of date numbers yet.
    to find gnutella enable view hidden files and folders.
    i use rocket and things are a bit different so file paths and FW locations are somewhere. oops, sorry, im on my wifes computer, so i cant mess round too much.
    really sounds like a firewall or something blocking you from connecting.
    did you do whatever you have to at your routers firewall?
    if you run out of posts to read, try this one on the rocket forum
    http://mp3rocketsupport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=444&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30#p4046
  • Tanker,

Is your Internet connection satellite or wirelessly connected to a local mast?

Do you run two firewalls together: e.g. Symantec and Windows .... which would be likely to cause problems?

Is this your first experience with Frostwire, or have you run a previous version with no problems?
    tanker wrote:
    thanks for getting back to me barlou12,

MP3 Rocket will not connect either. Exactly the same thing, hangs up with "Starting Connection' at only 1 bar.

tanker

specs:
    I am using Windows 7
    Linksys Wireless router WRT54G
    SpyBot S&D
    Symantec Endpoint Protection
    Windows Firewall set to medium
  • It's just one after another...I checked the firewall and put frostwire as an exception (it's actually off at this point), replaced the gnutella.net file, checked the internet worm thing, restarted the computer...still not connecting. I use vista, have FW v4.20.7. I try to right click and restore, or dis/connect, and when I look at the connections screen, I may get some connections for a couple of seconds. but it always goes back to this: 5 ultrapeers, 0 everything else. I've been waiting day after day, trying to download the SAME file...I just don't know what to do... :?: :cry:
  • if you are connected to 5 ultrapeers all is good and you are connected to the network as you should be.

Some files will never download. There are several reasons why this could be .. but re-search and try to find a different source. If this is only happening with one file, that is what I would suggest.
  • Been trying for what seems like 2 whole days to get frostwire to connect without success......until I came across this fix.....now it's turbo connection all the time. Thank you hobo.
  • I made sure to close out of Frostwire completely but when I download the gnutella file it just opens Frostwire, doesn't start instillation or anything.

Actually, It is downloading the installation process but it like seemingly everything else has to download through frostwire, but my frostwire absolutely cannot start connection.
  • @xdeadlyxmirage

I am not entirely sure what it is that you are doing or more importantly which Frostwire version and Operating System you are using. Please clarify.
  • That did the trick Thank You.
  • edited June 2012
    Ok this is strange. I found the gnutella.net file in C:\Users\TLLF\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent items and I deleted the gnutella file and tried to copy and paste the better one but it doesn't let me paste it. Any suggestions?

Where the gnutella is located at isn't even a directory folder. I don't know what to call it but you have to double click it for it to open and theirs files in side.
  • Astralvibe wrote:
    Ok this is strange. I found the gnutella.net file in C:\Users\TLLF\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent items and I deleted the gnutella file and tried to copy and paste the better one but it doesn't let me paste it. Any suggestions?
    I think recent items are links. Download the file as per instructions on this thread and then copy or drag and drop to the correct folder.
  • Ok I found the file I forgot I was suppose to check in frostwire folder not microsoft. Anyway it still not working. Windows 7 firewall is enable and is allowing frostwire to go through but I have a router. UPnp is enabled. listen in port are 49379 for frostwire.
  • Astralvibe wrote:
    Ok I found the file I forgot I was suppose to check in frostwire folder not microsoft. Anyway it still not working. Windows 7 firewall is enable and is allowing frostwire to go through but I have a router. UPnp is enabled. listen in port are 49379 for frostwire.
    I'm confused. Why are you looking on your machine for the new gnutella.net file
    From a prior post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2884
    How to Replace the Gnutella.net file:

In your application data or preference folder for Frostwire, (not your program or applications folder) there should be a file entitled gnutella.net

Before making any changes to the Folder, (see below for instructions on how to find it) make sure Frostwire is fully closed. You need do nothing else with the file .. just put it in the folder .. Frostwire knows what to do with it :)
    Below, is the file:

OR you could get the latest version that doesn't have these problems.
  • Ok now its working woohoo. Thanks for your help.
  • Hi I saved teh gnutell.net file under downloads...

what do i have to do? i dont understand much of all this..so I am doing this blind folded

thankks for instructions

cheers

dolores :(
  • Hi I saved teh gnutell.net file under downloads...
    what do i have to do? i dont understand much of all this..so I am doing this blind folded
    thankks for instructions
    cheers
    dolores :(
    This post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2884 has detailed instructions. If you have a specific question, please ask. Other than that, I don't know what you don't know, so I don't know what to tell you.

Since this version is long ago defunct, my guess is that you are wasting your time, and that your are trying to get a crippled protocol to work. I'd strongly suggest getting this year's product.

Leave a Comment