Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Share files previously downloaded with other client torrent [Solved]

Hi Guys, nice to join this community and thank you in advance for your help! :D

I'm an Italian guy (really "not very young" :| ) and I would say sorry for my bad English first!

I'm trying to migrate to FrostWire from Qbittorrent and there are some things that I'm not able to do.
I'm using last FW (6.1.9) with Linux Mint 17.3

First, I would like to put in seeding all files downloaded with other old client but it seems not working.
I included the old folder into the library and I see all files into FW library, but when I go in the transfers page i see I'm sharing only new the files downloaded directly with FrostWire and the upload speed is near to zero. (see images)

My most important law is to always have upload at maximum available speed (1st p2p law!) and than I would like to share my best files.

Searcing a solution myself, I saw that putting files .torrent in the folder /home/"Goku"/.frostwire5/libtorrent the files go in the FW transfers but the client doesn't check that the files are already in the library and re-start to download them instead share them.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks and have an happy 2016 :mrgreen:

Comments

• To get a previously downloaded item to share on a new system or set up, it is necessary to load the file into the default download directory or set the default download directory to that folder AND add the original torrent file (or one with the same hash) into FrostWire.

It should validate, and this can take awhile, and begin seeding. It is a one at a time operation, so be prepared to be patient. I'd suggest not doing too many at one time or you'll bog your machine down.

Once it is seeding, you can change the default download directory to anything you wish. It will continue to seed from the proper area.

There are articles on the forum about this and there is a load of information in my help pages.

If this suffices, good! If not ask for more information and I'll try to find my orginal write up on it.
  • Hi Scott1x, thank you very much for your kind reply and sorry for boring you again.
    I tried to do as you wrote but without success.
    First i change my default directory using Qbittorrent one; than i attach only one file .torrent in this address: /home/Goku/.frostwire5/libtorrent with the others .torrent files.

I started Frostwire and I see the new file in the downloading status with progress 0% and it downloaded at the moment only 592 KB. (I tried to understand where Frostwire is saving this new file but I didn't find it, il the directory Qbittorrent i find only the original file with size 5.2 GB.

Maybe the file .torrent have to be loaded in another address, but i don't know where is it. I tried searching in the forum old threads you spoke about but I didn't find anything.

If you could give me some links to read or other suggestion I'll try again.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I'm not able to attach images, it say "is an invalid filename" , how can i do?
  • Hi Scott1x, thank you very much for your kind reply and sorry for boring you again.
    I tried to do as you wrote but without success.
    First i change my default directory using Qbittorrent one; than i attach only one file .torrent in this address: /home/Goku/.frostwire5/libtorrent with the others .torrent files.

I started Frostwire and I see the new file in the downloading status with progress 0% and it downloaded at the moment only 592 KB. (I tried to understand where Frostwire is saving this new file but I didn't find it, il the directory Qbittorrent i find only the original file with size 5.2 GB.

Maybe the file .torrent have to be loaded in another address, but i don't know where is it. I tried searching in the forum old threads you spoke about but I didn't find anything.

If you could give me some links to read or other suggestion I'll try again.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I'm not able to attach images, it say "is an invalid filename" , how can i do?
  • Do NOT put files in the .frostwire5 directory. That is for FrostWire to manage, not you! I'm not sure what effect putting files there would have.

1) Create a folder - lets call it Share5
    2) Move or copy the torrent structure that you want to share to this folder. (Keep a backup)
    - It could be Share5\FilestoShare\
    3) Set the default download directory to Share5
    4) Add the torrent that you originally used to download Filestoshare or a torrent of the same hash into the FrostWire application.

It should start to verify and then seed.
    Share5 can be on any drive or nested in a tree structure.
    Once it has begun to seed, you can set your download folder to any folder you desire.
    FrostWire always downloads to the folder that you default folder is set to when the torrent begins.
  • Hi Scott1x
    using your suggestion FrostWire started to share my files.

Many thanks for your help!!!!! :wink:
  • Goku wrote:
    Hi Scott1x
    using your suggestion FrostWire started to share my files.

Many thanks for your help!!!!! :wink:
    Fantastic!

Leave a Comment