Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Storage of pending download file

I have searched this entire forum and cannot find the exact answer I am looking for so here goes. I had to recently rebuild my system due to a corrupted user file. Needless to say I was furious.

Here is the question. I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1 with every update known to man. I was running Frostwire v5.7.7.1 previously so I reinstalled the same version and restored all of the files from backup. When I load Frostwire despite restoring files on the C: drive and the files where I have Frostwire d/l, the files are there but they don't show up in the bottom window showing that they are cued, downloading, etc.

I checked all of the settings and made sure everything pointed to where it did before so I know it's not that. How do I get the files to reappear in the transfer window? The same thing happened when I went from v5.x to v6.x. All of the files disappeared so I put v5.x back in. That was before the rebuild. I'm pretty tech savvy but this has me stumped.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Comments

• I have searched this entire forum and cannot find the exact answer I am looking for so here goes. I had to recently rebuild my system due to a corrupted user file. Needless to say I was furious.

Here is the question. I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1 with every update known to man. I was running Frostwire v5.7.7.1 previously so I reinstalled the same version and restored all of the files from backup. When I load Frostwire despite restoring files on the C: drive and the files where I have Frostwire d/l, the files are there but they don't show up in the bottom window showing that they are cued, downloading, etc.

I checked all of the settings and made sure everything pointed to where it did before so I know it's not that. How do I get the files to reappear in the transfer window? The same thing happened when I went from v5.x to v6.x. All of the files disappeared so I put v5.x back in. That was before the rebuild. I'm pretty tech savvy but this has me stumped.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
    Are the files you wish to share your original files or files that you've downloaded?

IF the files are in the folders that they were when you downloaded them you should be able to go to the library icon, find the torrent and start it from there. If it in the proper folder, it should validate and start seeding. If not, it will download again, which you can allow or cancel.

The only restore that I've ever made work is a bit image copy. It does not register in one of the internal folders that FW uses when you just copy the files.
  • Hi Scott1x:

It appears that when installing Frostwire it points to " C:\Users\User Name\.frostwire5\torrents " for the torrents. The files available after they have been d/l'd are located on " x:\Frostwire ".

I'm going to try your suggestion of trying to locate the torrents in the library file and see if I can pull them in. I hate to lose them as they were between 80 to 95 percent downloaded.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • The .frostwire5 file is an internal work space for FW and is best to stay out of.

Torrents are the files that are used for downloading your files into the designated download area. Read this-> http://catfangz.com/frostwire/Moving.html It may offer some insight on how torrents are handled. It is NOT intuitive!
  • Hi Scott1x: I looked at the torrent directory and most of the files are in code, i.e. 8054684122874. It does not mention what is contained in the torrent file. Also, if they are where FW wanted them then where do I move them to as they would be where FW put them when I started d/l the files. It's a bit confusing to me.
  • Hi Scott1x: I looked at the torrent directory and most of the files are in code, i.e. 8054684122874. It does not mention what is contained in the torrent file. Also, if they are where FW wanted them then where do I move them to as they would be where FW put them when I started d/l the files. It's a bit confusing to me.
    I could probably help you better if I knew what you're trying to accomplish.
    There is a program called BEncode Editor.exe that would allow you to view the internal structure of a torrent. There you could see a file name as clear text. If you use this program, be very careful to make no modifications of you alter the hash and the structure falls apart.

It may be simpler for you to download a torrent that you want and save it your hard disk rather than try to figure what's in a torrent that has a coded name. If you download it, even if it has coded name, you know what it is and can rename it. Altering the external name of a torrent does not hurt the structure.

If you are trying to totally rebuild a complex structure that has been lost, that can be a major pain. A lot of time, since you have the actual data downloaded by the torrent, it may be better just to start over.
  • Hi Scott1x:

What I am trying to accomplish is this; Prior to the rebuild I had about 10 files in Que for download. All but 3 of them were between 65 to 70% completed. I'd love to start them over but a few of them were taking weeks to get to the point they were at as only a few connections had the files. To start over may mean they would never complete.

My goal is to have those partially downloaded files to reappear in the bottom window "Transfer". Since I never deleted them I had hoped that FW would see them and just rebuild itself. That didn't happen. What I was trying to accomplish was to make sure the torrents were where the belonged to have FW rebuild the downloaded files. I have confirmed that they are in the proper directory because I downloaded a few new files and then went to the torrent directory on the C:\ drive. The torrents for the files I had just downloaded were there so everything was restored to where it belongs. Why then is FW not seeing that some torrents are still pending download and pulling them back into Que to finish? Is there an index file I have to delete to have it rebuild the files still needing download?
  • Just putting a partially downloaded file in your download folder will not automatically start a download.

Copy the partially downloaded file to you download area, preserving the existing structure. You need to add the torrent for this data to your active FrostWire, making sure that your download folder is where the partially download files exist.

Once you have done that, FW will see the torrent and do normal housekeeping prior to starting or resuming a download. It should see the partially downloaded file, verify it, and resume the download from all available seeds or peers.

You will need to do that for each torrent that you want to resume.

It's not simple or intuitive, but it can be done.
  • Hi Scott1x,

I tried as you suggested and FW did not see the torrents. It pulled in absolutely nothing. This is becoming frustrating.

Any more suggestions?
  • Hi Scott1x,

I tried as you suggested and FW did not see the torrents. It pulled in absolutely nothing. This is becoming frustrating.

Any more suggestions?
    Please indicate your -
      Operating system:
      FrostWire Level Number:
      If this is an upgrade, from what level:
      Virus Checker:
      Fire Wall:
      Are you behind a router:
      Using a proxy or VPN:
      Type of internet connection:
      Your geographical location:
      Problem Description:
    Make sure, if you have one, that the router is allowing the FrostWire port and/or set for UPnP
    Describe, in as much detail as you can, the nature of your problem, errors, messages, what does or does not happen, etc. Be as specific as possible. The more specific your question, the more likely you are to get a an answer that satisfies you.

We've never focused on details. Time to do that.
  • OK Scott1x, here we go.

FW: 6.1.9
    FW Upgrade: 6.1.7 to 6.1.9
    Virus Checker: Norton Security
    Fire Wall: Norton Security
    Router: Yes and set up to allow FW
    Proxy or VPN: Left FW default which is no proxy
    Internet Conn: IPv6 Connectivity using Firefox 43.0.1
    Geo Location: Upstate NY
    Problem Description: See Below

At the time of my motherboard failure I was running FW 6.1.5. I wiped my drive clean after a full system backup and clean installed every single program I had before. (took more than 2 weeks) After each install I tested the programs to make sure they worked. Prior to the failure I had about 8 files in the download window at the bottom of FW. I reinstalled FW 6.1.5 and restored the torrent directories as well as the directory where the files were downloaded. When I loaded FW none of the pending or partially downloaded files appeared. I followed every suggestion you provided exactly as you wrote them.

My goal is to pull the files that were pending download as most of them were with 20-30 percent completed, back into FW. Since I restored all of the FW directories as they were I anticipated that FW would see the torrents and continue. They do not appear as of now. I upgraded to 6.1.9 hoping that would do it and still nothing. I have no problems downloading files or anything else except I want those torrent back in the d/l (transfer) window so they can resume downloading.

Hopefully this information will be of help to you. If I left anything out or you need additional info let me know.

Thanks
  • First and simplest suggestion is to disable Norton, start FW, then try to dowload as per prior instructions.
    Norton has certainly been known to cause problems.

Now, let's make sure we are on the same definition page.
    Torrent: A small data file that provides information to a BitTorrent program to allow the sharing of a folder or file.
    Default Download Area: In FrostWire the area that data is downloaded into. Once a download has begun, the default area can be changed, but the download of running torrents will continue in the proper folder.

Second:
    Version six of FrostWire has been plagued by many problems on various machines and operating systems. If is works, it works, and if it doesn't, there seems to be no pattern, and about the only thing you can do is drop back to the last version that worked for you and wait for the next release. When it comes out, give it a shot. It may have solved the problem.
    Check out this link for drop back instructions.
    http://catfangz.com/frostwire/dropback.html
    Personally, I'm still using version 5.7.7 with great results.

It is possible that you have run into one of these incompatibilities. The FrostWire download area is NOT part of FrostWire and is only accessed by FrostWire, not normally managed by FrostWire. The C:\Users\USERID\.frostwire5 and is the folder that you need to clear to totally reinstall and get a fresh system. This is FW managed and contains nothing you should try to modify.

I'd suggest doing a safe boot and trying to run FW with nothing else running - especially Norton. If that does not work, uninstall and make sure all files, including .frostwire5, have been deleted. Install 5.7.7. Set up so the default download folder pointing to the area you have loaded with your partial files. Move the torrents for these item into the active FW. It should verify and start a download IF there are peers or seeds showing.

If this works, you have a version problem and should use the highest level that works for you.If not, there is either a driver/hardware conflict or something else is malfunctioning in you computer. I say this because I've never known 5.7.7 to erratically fail on a healthy machine.

There are some things you can try. Perhaps, working through this, something will become obvious.
  • Alright Scott1x, the day is going to be crazy for me so I'll try this later this evening. I'll let you know the outcome and thanks for the heads up about v5 vs v6 and many thanks for your time and effort!
  • We can only try and it CAN be frustrating!

Good luck.
  • Hey Scott1x:

Alrighty Then, I did exactly as you wrote things. Unsuccessful as I though might happen. I can assure you that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with my system NOW. Yes, I know things can and have failed. I suspect that the backup data may have gotten corrupt when I did the full backup before/during/after the board failure.I pride myself in always doing a weekly backup after having lost important business data once in the 90's that almost put me out of business.

Unless you can think of something else I am ready to accept that the torrents are gone. They are old so I suspect that they never would have completed anyway. I normally would never give up this fast as I enjoy a good challenge. But, my health is not good and I can't sit for hours at the computer anymore. In the future I will ALWAYS check the community board before upgrading to the latest version. After all, who knows better than the community.

Thank you for all of the time and effort you have provided me with. I hope I can return the favor someday.
  • There is obviously something we are both missing. If it's not a big deal, bagging it does make sense.

There comes a time when it no longer pays to beat you head against a stone wall!

Good luck!

Leave a Comment