Buy VPN - Never trust a VPN Provider that doesn't take Bitcoin
Welcome everybody to the new FrostWire forums.

Expect a bit of breakage the following days as we adjust to this new platform.

We thank you for your patience.
-FrostWire Team

Frostwire limewire malware security

edited March 2016 in Open Discussion
how likely is it that when you download a song or other data off limewire/frostwire that in contains a malware virus that chanfes your save/share folder to upload personal files from your computer to the limewire share folder to expose it to the whole network. Wouldn't a hacker want that info to themselves instead of sharing it in a save folder. Reason of concern is I read this Ina couple different articles that state malware will change your save folder files. I talked to a malware repair man and he says he has never seen anything that changes limewire settings. Does anyone know any insight on this?

Comments

• Yamaha wrote:
    how likely is it that when you download a song or other data off limewire/frostwire that in contains a malware virus that chanfes your save/share folder to upload personal files from your computer to the limewire share folder to expose it to the whole network. Wouldn't a hacker want that info to themselves instead of sharing it in a save folder. Reason of concern is I read this Ina couple different articles that state malware will change your save folder files. I talked to a malware repair man and he says he has never seen anything that changes limewire settings. Does anyone know any insight on this?
    You need to understand that this is a FrostWire Forum and FW only supports torrents now. There is NO share folder that can be changed.
    I don't know enough about the defunct limewire to comment.

And article that you are reading that alludes to a share folder in FrostWire clearly is not referring to any reasonably current version of FrostWire that is in use. Immediately stop reading and find a source that considers this decades software and technology.

Of course you can download malware, that's why there are index sites with rating and comment sections. Using those is rather basic to sensible downloading.
  • Yes but is there a malware that can change your save folder to add personal information to the p2p netowrk
  • Yamaha wrote:
    Yes but is there a malware that can change your save folder to add personal information to the p2p netowrk
    I'm allowing this to show the absurdity of some statements!
    Your SAVE folder is NOT available to anyone on the P2P network. Changing it or "adding" information to it would have NO impact on what anyone can see or download.

Please think before posting! Or you could try asking questions to from those who have some experience with the product to clarify various issues.

Perhaps if you spend some time reading my help pages, you may get an idea of how FW functions - and you will find that it is rather secure when used properly.
  • I never heard about a malware changing folder names as you described .

Malware and spy ware are more common then you think . Just going to a malicious website and clicking popups do this . Opening download zip files and list goes on and on

Protect yourself and here's some tips

1 Always have antivirus software installed
    2 run a malware / spears software
    3 run a registry cleaner
    4 create a system restore point so if your computer acts up you can go to time when you computer was good
    5 don't run . Cmd.exe files or software u are not sure is 100 percent legit
    6 don't put any personal files in your download torrent folder
    7 use Vpn
    8 turn on your firewall

Hope this helps

Leave a Comment